Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Resources available for a teenager with severe behavioral ch
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:04 pm
I'm trying to help a family member navigate this.
What resources are available IN LAKEWOOD for a preteen/teen with behavioral challenges. Multiple diagnosis, but even on medicine not 100% stable.
Please also include what that particular organization provides- money, respite, rides, help for the siblings, etc.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:19 pm
I am I this parsha and unfortunately I’m sorry to say there’s nothing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:00 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I am I this parsha and unfortunately I’m sorry to say there’s nothing.

Thats disappointing.

What's Nesivos? (Or something, I keep seeing it advertised)

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thats disappointing.

What's Nesivos? (Or something, I keep seeing it advertised)

Nesivos will help direct you, provide support, mentors, etc.
But I won’t think they help monetary
They actually charge for the 1st time you meet them.
Definitely contact them and they will advise on the phone how they can help you

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:23 pm
You could get counseling and perhaps other services through Quality Families which works with CMO ( a state program). The owner is Moshe Norman .

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:24 pm
You could get counseling and perhaps other services through Quality Families which works with CMO ( a state program). The owner is Moshe Norman . It's free.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:33 pm
I'm not in Lakewood but I have a child who was diagnosed with a very serious mental health condition. The diagnosis required a hospitalization and then supervision pretty much all day. As a result I needed to quit my job to stay home with this child. I made many phone calls trying to find assistance for my family (financially, someone to take my other kids out so they got some special tretament...). Nothing, we couldn't get any help whatsoever. It was very very disheartening. There are so many wonderful organizations out there for people with physical disabilities, families that have a child with special needs, families with a sick parent, etc. But a mental health diagnosis? Nothing! There's definitely a need for an organization to help out physically and financially families that are dealing with a child (or parent) with serious mental health issues.

oneofakind

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:39 pm
If the child is diagnosed on the autism spectrum, they can contact any of the agencies that advertise. They will guide her as to getting on the right insurance and the child will be eligible for ABA plus therapies and other things.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:46 pm
oneofakind wrote:
If the child is diagnosed on the autism spectrum, they can contact any of the agencies that advertise. They will guide her as to getting on the right insurance and the child will be eligible for ABA plus therapies and other things.

This child is getting some ABA.
But being a teenage boy, he only is willing to work with a male ABA so the agencies can't get his full hours.
But even ABA and other insurance paid therapists aren't enough.
He is currently getting 4 hours of therapy a week (paid out of pocket because the insurance therapists were not effective), frequent psychiatrist visits to try to get his meds stable (again out of pocket), hundreds on copays a month, constantly taking off work to drive child to appointments and back.

I see this relative falling apart. I wish I could guide her to an organization that can help her financially, or help with resources

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
You could get counseling and perhaps other services through Quality Families which works with CMO ( a state program). The owner is Moshe Norman . It's free.

FYI - we tried this and nothing came of it. We were not eligible for some reason.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
This child is getting some ABA.
But being a teenage boy, he only is willing to work with a male ABA so the agencies can't get his full hours.
But even ABA and other insurance paid therapists aren't enough.
He is currently getting 4 hours of therapy a week (paid out of pocket because the insurance therapists were not effective), frequent psychiatrist visits to try to get his meds stable (again out of pocket), hundreds on copays a month, constantly taking off work to drive child to appointments and back.

I see this relative falling apart. I wish I could guide her to an organization that can help her financially, or help with resources
Does the ABA help/

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:13 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Does the ABA help/

Yes, in that with the ABA, the child is allowed to attend school.

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:33 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
I'm not in Lakewood but I have a child who was diagnosed with a very serious mental health condition. The diagnosis required a hospitalization and then supervision pretty much all day. As a result I needed to quit my job to stay home with this child. I made many phone calls trying to find assistance for my family (financially, someone to take my other kids out so they got some special tretament...). Nothing, we couldn't get any help whatsoever. It was very very disheartening. There are so many wonderful organizations out there for people with physical disabilities, families that have a child with special needs, families with a sick parent, etc. But a mental health diagnosis? Nothing! There's definitely a need for an organization to help out physically and financially families that are dealing with a child (or parent) with serious mental health issues.

I agree with everything you wrote here, as a wife. No one to take my kids out for trips when my husband was having mood swings. No one to pay the psychiatric/therapy bills. It's likely easier to be the wife of a spouse with a physical illness.
BH my husband is stable now but it was a hard rode that I was on mostly alone.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:51 pm
Keren Ezer Lnefesh may help with funding for therapy
Also united healtchare childrens foundation has a grant you can apply to https://agudah.org/yahalom/yah.....nter/

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:39 am
Bump.
Anything for a teenager without a ASD diagnosis.
Severe ADHD, ODD, behavior challenges

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:42 am
Not a support resource unfortunately, but they should check for Lyme. Lakewood is a hotbed and the symptoms fit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:53 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Not a support resource unfortunately, but they should check for Lyme. Lakewood is a hotbed and the symptoms fit.

The ped tested, negative.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:56 am
amother OP wrote:
The ped tested, negative.
They need a lyme literate md to run advanced testing. Way too many false negatives with labcorp and quest.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:57 am
There for sure are Askanim who can at least offer guidance...I wonder if someone from Bikur Cholim would have the information you are looking for.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 9:58 pm
Are their any grants to apply for adults, this one united healthcare children's foundation for under 16 years old.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries