Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Getting Toddlers to sleep on international flight

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:18 pm
How can I get my 1.5 year old and 3.5 year old to sleep on a 12 hour flight? Are there any safe-ish medications or melatonin that can be used on kids that age? Specifically necessary for the 1.5 year old.
They have perfectly fine sleep routines at home; This is a one time thing out of desperation.

I have tried just bringing comfy pillows, blankets, pjs, doing the same bedtime routine, etc, but nothing works. I’m looking for a safe way to knock them out or the very least relax them for the flight. The alternative is pandemonium and screaming for 12 hours.

Have you done anything that works?

Yes, I know I don’t want to do anything harmful mid flight, but there must be something that works…

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:19 pm
I used melatonin liquid drops for 2 year old many years ago.
I think I used about 2 drops and it worked nicely.
My doctor said it was ok as long as I only used for travel

amother
Brass

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:11 pm
My dr says melatonin is safe once they are a year old. Another option is benadryl but that should be tried in advance because some kids become hyper from it.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:06 pm
Benadryl, but do a test run first.

Did this with our ped’s permission.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:49 pm
I gave my 18 month old mel-o-chew. Half of one tablet. She slept for over 8 hours.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 1:14 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
Benadryl, but do a test run first.

Did this with our ped’s permission.

Make sure to do a test run!!!
With my oldest we gave it to her and it was a fun flight to Israel. With a hyper 2 year old that was tired but absolutely couldn’t settle down almost the whole flight!!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 1:19 am
Getting a night flight so they are tired and sitting all the way in the back where you can feel the turbulence more makes the place rock.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:49 am
I've flown internationally (12 - 14 hr) with babies and toddlers several time, and all my flights departed between 6pm and 1 am, I had no choice. My kids all fell asleep naturally from being tired, and I didn't do anything special. For the 1 am flight, they didn't sleep before because too much action, but I hadn't actively prevented it. With the 6 pm flight I let them watch tv until they got sleepy and fell asleep.

I imagine that a flight departing at 8 am would be really hard with little kids, but I've never had that trial.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:03 am
I have tried Benadryl before and it didn’t work, so I think my only option is melatonin.
My 3 year old has thrown up on a couple of flights before and I didn’t know why, she has never experienced motion sickness any other time.
Any suggestions for that?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have tried Benadryl before and it didn’t work, so I think my only option is melatonin.
My 3 year old has thrown up on a couple of flights before and I didn’t know why, she has never experienced motion sickness any other time.
Any suggestions for that?

I’ve gotten airsick before even though I don’t get car sick. If you can’t find another cause, I’d assume it was airsickness. We have children’s Dramamine that says ages 2-12, so you could try that. It’ll probably put her to sleep too. IME it’s a much stronger sedative than Benadryl, so I’d get her pediatrician’s ok on dosage first.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:38 pm
https://www.aliexpress.us/item.....bNFEl

this is a game changer. if you dont have time to get it from ali then search on amazon inflatable matress for baby to travel airplane

flory42

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:18 pm
Wow that is such a good idea! Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics