Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
If you let your kids watch cartoons, which?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:33 pm
I mean, ideally I wouldn't, but practically I do and that's not gonna change soon, but at least I want them to watch good cartoons.

So many kids cartoons are rated G, but unintentionally teach bad behavior. Like Daniel Tiger (PBS) is supposed to be teaching good morals, but Daniel is whiney and scared of everything, so what really happens is watching it makes my kids more whiney and act more scared of things ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

There's a horrible kids show called Diana, literally all it is is a little girl named Diana opening and playing with new toys, and occasionally crying at the world's smallest frustration ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„. There are only like 10 words spoken in the whole show, so the kids don't even get language skills.

I like The Magic School Bus, especially since all 52 episodes are available for free on YouTube ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I also like Dora The Explorer. Dora is brave and no one whines ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Any other suggestions? Obviously I prefer free, but am willing to pay if it is good (I pay for Dora).

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:35 pm
Bluey! Australian cartoon about a family of dogs. There are XMas and Easter episodes but you can just skip those. Itโ€™s on Disney and there are a few free episodes on YouTube.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:39 pm
Octanauts and Thomas the Train is basically all I let mine watch other then toveedo

I used to let one of my kids watch daniel tiger but at this point in society I'm a little afraid to start again. I don't know what topics it discusses and not sure I want to go there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:42 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Bluey! Australian cartoon about a family of dogs. There are XMas and Easter episodes but you can just skip those. Itโ€™s on Disney and there are a few free episodes on YouTube.

I don't mind Easter and XMAS being mentioned, as long as it's only the secular parts of it (egg hunts--yes, ressurection--no). I'm fine with my kids hearing songs like "Jingle Bells".

bigsis144

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:43 pm
I donโ€™t think you can โ€œteach good moralsโ€ if the kids are already perfect to begin with ๐Ÿ˜‰

And remember that just because your child didnโ€™t struggle with being fearful (before watching Daniel Tiger), doesnโ€™t mean that no child would benefit from seeing their emotional experience mirrored on screen.

I like Molly of Denali on PBSKids

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't mind Easter and XMAS being mentioned, as long as it's only the secular parts of it (egg hunts--yes, ressurection--no). I'm fine with my kids hearing songs like "Jingle Bells".

It's definitely the secular parts - the Easter one was searching for baskets and I think the x-mas one was about presents. But I suspect people have different sensibilities here so just wanted to mention.

I love Bluey too, watch it often with my kids. Very Happy

amother
Latte

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:47 pm
Muppet babies, Mickey Mouse clubhouse, bluey, paw patrol, Daniel tiger,

zoom

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:31 pm
Peppa pig
Paw patrol
Winnie the pooh
Thomas the Tank engine
Peter Rabbit- thats very cute.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:05 pm
Curious George is adorable
Shimmer and shine
Cat in the hat
Sunny day cafe

amother
Opal

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:10 pm
Depending on your hashkafa, Dinosaur Train. It has a lot of positive messages about accepting people who look different, and it also subtly implies that while you should be accepting of different lifestyles, it's important to live the lifestyle you were raised in.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:23 pm
Curious George
Paw Patrol
Peppa Pig
Baby bus- (I personally hate this one, so so annoying for me to listen to)

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 9:44 pm
Cocomelon

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 9:51 pm
We like Bluey. A lot of parents say they learn parenting skills from it and the creators even admitted that they made it for the parents haha. When they get a bit older I want to show them more of the classics from my childhood like Arthur and Madeline.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 10:00 pm
The whole point of Daniel Tiger is to help kids and parents deal with negative emotions and be good people.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 10:02 pm
We love Wild Kratts! Even my 3 year old! (Also bluey and peppa)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 12:16 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
The whole point of Daniel Tiger is to help kids and parents deal with negative emotions and be good people.

That's the intended point, but IME it just makes the kids copy the negative emotions, not deal with them.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:15 am
amother Blueberry wrote:

True, but a few months ago they introduced a teacher with a female name but the voice and look was male (in cartoon). Was still VERY shocked and haven't put it on since for my kids. They are slowly putting it into shows which we're innocent and clean... Rolling Eyes

WhatFor

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:29 am
I recommend downloading the Khan Academy app for kids. There's lessons for different age levels. I totally get that sometimes there's an urgent need to do something and keep kids entertained. When that happens, to the extent possible, I think that at least with this they're interacting and using their brain a little more. And learning. (The tricky thing with the ipad is that even very young kids can quickly learn how to start opening other apps, including YouTube, so you do kind of have to keep half an ear to what they're doing.)

For shows, I find the Apple + ones tend to be pretty good quality.

Helpsters seems to be a show that secretly teaches executive functioning skills.

Duck and goose is a very sweet one about friends.

Shape Island is cool.

Our kids have caught wind of some Disney shows here and there but we're really trying to not get Disney plus for a while if ever. I don't like the messaging of so many Disney shows.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 2:25 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
True, but a few months ago they introduced a teacher with a female name but the voice and look was male (in cartoon). Was still VERY shocked and haven't put it on since for my kids. They are slowly putting it into shows which we're innocent and clean... Rolling Eyes

Like I said, I very much dislike Daniel Tiger for other reasons, stopped letting my kids watch so I didn't see the teacher.

But usually trans people just make up a new name to match whatever gender they are dressing as.

Maybe, being dlkz, was the name like Leslie, Sydney, Kelsey, etc where 100 years ago it was a male name but has been strongly female for the past 40+ years?

I wouldn't put it past PBS to push trans though. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't even be surprised if Daniel Tiger were intentionally created to make kids more whiney and fearful.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 6:24 am
- Blue's Clues (the old one. If there is a new one, I haven't seen it).
- Gabby's Dollhouse
- Ada Twist Scientist
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers