Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher.com kitchen ambush/ clutter episode
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 2:03 pm
Why in the world is that called a small kitchen???
Am I the only one in shock and upset? Like really, some of us have absolutely tiny kitchens with no pantry and so few cabinets and this- looks like the perfect size...

Ok, chayayitty pollack I absolutely love you, and anything that comes out of your mouth LOL thanks for “sharing” your kitchen with us all- I’m looking forward to see the makeover- but please please don’t call this a small kitchen- just a kitchen that needs a set spot for everything (like many of us Smile)

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 2:08 pm
I know. One of the things I love about watching kosher.com cooking clips is seeing the kitchens they work in. Forget the gourmet dinners and fantastic desserts. I want that kitchen!
If they want to show us cooking techniques that’s great. If they want to teach us how to deal with no space they should come to one of us!

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 2:45 pm
Genuine professional kitchens, iow restaurant kitchens, are surprisingly small because any space not being used to seat customers is money down the drain. You want to know how to make an efficient kitchen, ask a restaurant chef.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 2:57 pm
Yes seems strange. Ok it’s not massive but it’s nice and spacious. Any good organizer should be able to work with it no problem.

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:06 pm
Organized people organize their environments and somehow manage even in tight quarters, though of course more space makes organizing easier. The terminally disorganized will be a mess no matter how much space they have. Stuff expands to fill the space allotted.

Highstrung

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 3:10 pm
I too was surprised they were calling it a small kitchen. My kitchen is smaller than that and I think my kitchen is a very nice size . I thought maybe the video was being shot in a way for it to look bigger , if both Chaya Y. and the organizer were referring to it as small.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 4:06 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I too was surprised they were calling it a small kitchen. My kitchen is smaller than that and I think my kitchen is a very nice size . I thought maybe the video was being shot in a way for it to look bigger , if both Chaya Y. and the organizer were referring to it as small.

I don’t think so. Count the cabinet amounts and look at the pantry size. Pretty spacious according to my apt kitchen...

miami85

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 4:21 pm
I think that the fact that she's a "comedienne" is part that this is supposed to be somewhat comical.

My niece is also a professional organizer and I had her help me when I moved into a house and my kitchen was SOOO small it just wasn't functional. She was a tremendous help, but it was just a too small kitchen. I ended up getting a counter with cabinets and more storage. It made a big difference.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 5:42 pm
Yeah not a small kitchen in my world. I have a kitchen half the size and thought it was not even that small. I used to live in an apartment and had 1 counter that was probably around 4 or 5 feet long. And that was it. That was a small kitchen. And the way I dealt with it was not buying things unless I absolutely needed it. So no extra small appliances like sandwich makers, juicers, Betty crockers, etc. Those take up so much room.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 5:47 pm
I also thought it wasn't small. Maybe the cabinets are not so deep. Her Island is huge.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 5:49 pm
Does anyone have a link to the 2nd episode?

Chanichani2248

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:45 pm
Just watched the 3rd episode. That was such fun to watch!! That organiser did a great job.. Usually with these things I think oh I could have done that but she really seemed great at what she does. I feel like emptying all my cupboards now 🙈 and sorting it all out!!. I liked that she said containers isn't the answer for everyone

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 6:30 pm
Well, you guys got me watching. As noted above, some of us would sell our non-dominant hand to have a kitchen that "small," but everything's relative. If it's smaller than your mother's or your bff's or your next-door neighbor's, to you it's small. A young neighbor of ours had a kitchen that was an alcove less than four feet square. Most offices have kitchenettes bigger than that. The fridge was in the entryway outside, the stove was 20 inches wide (the smallest available for apartment dwelling), the sink was a toy about 12 inches wide, and what was drolly called the "counter" could accommodate exactly one 6X9 cake-mix pan. Yet this woman used to feed 20 people for Shabbat lunch out of this pillbox. I have no idea how.

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 7:01 pm
https://www.kosher.com/video/c.....utter

Second episode. Really the first, because the first "episode" is just a trailer. Laying out the problem and "your mission, should you decide to accept it."

https://www.kosher.com/video/c.....chaos This is where you see the actual work.
https://www.kosher.com/video/r.....tchen This is where you see the finished product and Chayitty's reaction to it.

Fun to watch.
It does have me wondering how long this orderliness will last, given that five youngsters are given free rein in the kitchen.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Why in the world is that called a small kitchen???
Am I the only one in shock and upset?

Overreact much?

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:31 am
One thing Chayitty said that I disagree with: That no matter how small your kitchen you can fit everything in if you organize properly with a designated place for everything. What she meant was that her kitchen could fit everything she had--but her kitchen is a pretty generous one. (She thinks it's small because she often has five kids and herself running around in it. It's a kitchen, not a skating rink.) If her kitchen had been half the size, she could also have fit everything in there--but only if she had first gotten rid of half her stuff. Basic law of physics, two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time. If you have X volume of space and 2X volume of possessions, no matter what you do, you will not fit that 2X volume of possessions in that X volume of space.

I'm rather surprised that Tzipora didn't emphasize purging. She mentioned dumping old mismatched Tupperware and stale crackers, but that was all. Purging is the first step in organizing, and I find it hard to believe that Tziporah didn't find more things to purge than this. Doesn't everyone have small appliances and other gadgets that they use either never or so seldom that they're not worth the space they take up?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 10:33 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
One thing Chayitty said that I disagree with: That no matter how small your kitchen you can fit everything in if you organize properly with a designated place for everything. What she meant was that her kitchen could fit everything she had--but her kitchen is a pretty generous one. (She thinks it's small because she often has five kids and herself running around in it. It's a kitchen, not a skating rink.) If her kitchen had been half the size, she could also have fit everything in there--but only if she had first gotten rid of half her stuff. Basic law of physics, two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time. If you have X volume of space and 2X volume of possessions, no matter what you do, you will not fit that 2X volume of possessions in that X volume of space.

I'm rather surprised that Tzipora didn't emphasize purging. She mentioned dumping old mismatched Tupperware and stale crackers, but that was all. Purging is the first step in organizing, and I find it hard to believe that Tziporah didn't find more things to purge than this. Doesn't everyone have small appliances and other gadgets that they use either never or so seldom that they're not worth the space they take up?

I also felt that they focused so much on her food and not on her dishes, pots and kitchen gadgets.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 11:13 am
I watched all the episodes and find myself comparing it to real organizing shows on Netflix. I wish there would have been a little more of an educational component to it, so the viewers can learn and implement some things in their own homes. And I felt like I didn't get to see how everything was truly organized on a macro level. I would have loved to see entire milk/meat/parve zones. They focused alot on the pantry/food which is aesthetic and fun and pretty, but I would have loved some more practical ideas.

And the "small kitchen" comments really rub me the wrong way. I commented earlier on this and it bothers me more now. It seems kind of oblivious to how many people live.

I did enjoy it overall!

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 11:32 am
amother Indigo wrote:
I also felt that they focused so much on her food and not on her dishes, pots and kitchen gadgets.

they had to give enough airtime to all the advertisers...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 12:04 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Well, you guys got me watching. As noted above, some of us would sell our non-dominant hand to have a kitchen that "small," but everything's relative. If it's smaller than your mother's or your bff's or your next-door neighbor's, to you it's small. A young neighbor of ours had a kitchen that was an alcove less than four feet square. Most offices have kitchenettes bigger than that. The fridge was in the entryway outside, the stove was 20 inches wide (the smallest available for apartment dwelling), the sink was a toy about 12 inches wide, and what was drolly called the "counter" could accommodate exactly one 6X9 cake-mix pan. Yet this woman used to feed 20 people for Shabbat lunch out of this pillbox. I have no idea how.

Pillbox LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen