Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Vent, why do schools charge so much to apply
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:18 am
I'm trying to find a school for one of my children and I just don't understand why some schools charge $1500 just to apply. Its so frustrating to spend thousands of dollars and still run the chance of not getting accepted.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm trying to find a school for one of my children and I just don't understand why some schools charge $1500 just to apply. Its so frustrating to spend thousands of dollars and still run the chance of not getting accepted.

I agree, it's so so crazy. It's abnormal how schools are taking advantage of people.
But my kids school puts the fee towards tuition, and if the applicant isn't accepted, they refund it. Though it's not $1500, that's absurd! They charge $250.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:23 am
I have never heard of that wow. I paid a $100 fee for applying to Nursery. $1500 is crazy.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:27 am
What?! Which schools do that? Never heard of charging more than $250.

amother
Dill

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:28 am
1500? Is that a typo for 150?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:52 am
amother Camellia wrote:
What?! Which schools do that? Never heard of charging more than $250.

I was looking into a bunch of schools in my area. Half of them charged around $200. The other half charged $1400/$1500

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:52 am
amother Dill wrote:
1500? Is that a typo for 150?

No

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:54 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I agree, it's so so crazy. It's abnormal how schools are taking advantage of people.
But my kids school puts the fee towards tuition, and if the applicant isn't accepted, they refund it. Though it's not $1500, that's absurd! They charge $250.

So I'd be fine with that. These are nonrefundable, even if they don't accept the child.

Highstrung

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:54 am
amother OP wrote:
I was looking into a bunch of schools in my area. Half of them charged around $200. The other half charged $1400/$1500

That’s a crazy amount . I guess they only want rich people in their school and it’s a deterrent for those that can’t afford it.

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 10:57 am
$1,500 to apply??! For what age/grade? I have an 8th grader and the high school application fees were all $100-$250. Even Seminaries don't charge more than $250! I know it's been a bunch of years since I applied for preschool/elementary, but at the time it was also $250 or below and I sent to several different school.

OP - can you tell us where these school are that are charging so much to apply?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 11:04 am
That’s crazy! It’s usually 100-200 which makes sense it takes time and paperwork. But 1500 is absurd.

cupcake123

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 11:07 am
That's insane! In Lakewood the schools only deposit the checks if you're accepted.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 11:09 am
amother OP wrote:
So I'd be fine with that. These are nonrefundable, even if they don't accept the child.

This is nothing short of robbery. I would bring this up with the community Rav. This is not normal.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 11:43 am
I wonder if this is a way of weeding people out and getting a certain crowd. If everyone can pay this except for me, then its not for me and ill apply elsewhere.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I wonder if this is a way of weeding people out and getting a certain crowd. If everyone can pay this except for me, then its not for me and ill apply elsewhere.

I was thinking this as well. But more along the lines of they'll only get serious applications. Like people will things twice to make sure it's the right place for their kids before they apply.
My only problem is that while I know my family fits into the schools, I need to apply to multiple schools because DC has some things going on that make it a non guaranteed acceptance.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:

That’s great….if your kid is accepted. $1,500 non refundable is NOT ok.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:15 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
That’s great….if your kid is accepted. $1,500 non refundable is NOT ok.

I didn't say it is ok....

Ema of 5

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 9:20 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I didn't say it is ok....

I was agreeing with you. Wasn’t your original post that’s applications are crazy expensive?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 9:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was thinking this as well. But more along the lines of they'll only get serious applications. Like people will things twice to make sure it's the right place for their kids before they apply.
My only problem is that while I know my family fits into the schools, I need to apply to multiple schools because DC has some things going on that make it a non guaranteed acceptance.

Can I ask if this $1500 school is YNJ? I had the same shock last week.

mikayla18

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 10:56 pm
I'm thinking to open a school now, have everyone apply, not accept anyone and retire LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics