Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Veg Sushi Making for Newbies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:24 pm
Any tips and tricks?

I tried making the rice according to instructions on the sushi rice bag and online but so far it flopped. Its sticky but I guess not sticky enough to stay together?
Any ideas of also how to make a batch of rice and store properly so I don't feel like I'm constantly making it?

Also, if I want to make sweet potato rolls, how would I go about it? So far I only did cucumber rolls....

If anyone also has any websites or videos that helped them, please share!

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:33 pm
Use the rice when it's warm or room temperature. Do you have a wooden sushi rolling mats? They really help with rolling and keeping everything together.

For sweet potatoes, cut into French fry type shapes, toss with some oil and spread on cookie sheet. Roast at 425 for about 25 min.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Use the rice when it's warm or room temperature. Do you have a wooden sushi rolling mats? They really help with rolling and keeping everything together.

For sweet potatoes, cut into French fry type shapes, toss with some oil and spread on cookie sheet. Roast at 425 for about 25 min.

yes, I have the rolling mat and it definitely helps.
So if I make a batch and keep in the fridge, you recommend that either I leave out to room temp or warm up in the microwave?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
So if I make a batch and keep in the fridge, you recommend that either I leave out to room temp or warm up in the microwave?

If it's from the fridge, you're better off making sushi salad.

mandr

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:41 pm
My pizza shop uses regular sweet potato fries inside the sushi

estreya

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:42 pm
amother OP wrote:

Usually you would use the rice right away while it is at its best.

Putting it in the fridge, you'd have to microwave it very briefly (until re-softened) and most probably refresh it with a bit more of the sushi vinegar. Best to make a new batch though.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:53 pm
estreya wrote:
Usually you would use the rice right away while it is at its best.

Putting it in the fridge, you'd have to microwave it very briefly (until re-softened) and most probably refresh it with a bit more of the sushi vinegar. Best to make a new batch though.

Eek, its time consuming to make it every time I want. Between soaking for a half hour, boiling it and cooling off and mixing all the ingredients....

Everyone can chime in on the following question:
Do you recommend that I make all the rolls I want at once for a few days (if it's like cucumber and won't go bad quickly..) vs storing the rice and warming it up each time I am in the mood of sushi?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's from the fridge, you're better off making sushi salad.

Its not the same experience though lol Hiding

mzybas

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Eek, its time consuming to make it every time I want. Between soaking for a half hour, boiling it and cooling off and mixing all the ingredients....

Everyone can chime in on the following question:
Do you recommend that I make all the rolls I want at once for a few days (if it's like cucumber and won't go bad quickly..) vs storing the rice and warming it up each time I am in the mood of sushi?

I would make all the rolls together and let them come to room temp before eating

Stars

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:06 pm
You can roll the seaweed on the outside to help it hold everything together better

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:09 pm
Stars wrote:
You can roll the seaweed on the outside to help it hold everything together better

Hmm not sure if I like that but maybe I'll try that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:10 pm
Does anyone find a difference in the company of rice or they're all basically the same?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Its not the same experience though lol Hiding

What we do is savor the sushi rolls fresh (rice covered with a clean kitchen towel and used within 3 hours) and then enjoy the remaining rice as Poké Bowls the next day. The bowls really are special. Take a nice bowl, put some sushi rice at the bottom, then add cubes of avocado, mango, kani, salmon, tuna (or in your case julienned cucumbers and cubes of sweet potato)... some thinly sliced scallions and a sprinkle of 2 toned sesame seeds. Drizzle with sweet sauce and spicy mayo right before serving. Truly delicious.

Frumme

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 3:07 pm
OP can you share your method?

My top tips, just for the rice:

-Use a short grain rice, like one labeled specifically for sushi.
-Wash your uncooked rice. Mix in the bowl gently and drain off the water-- repeat until the water is clear or mostly clear; this removes excess starch
- use a rice cooker, following the cooking directions on the cooker. Seriously mine even has a sushi rice option lol. Takes out a lot of guess work
- use seasoned rice vinegar. Mix into the rice once it's done. It helps to spread out the rice into a huge bowl or tray to incorporate everything evenly and to allow the rice to cool down nicely (if it takes too long to cool down it will get a bit mushy)
- use fresh sushi rice whenever possible. In the past I've set my rice cooker up to be done in the morning if I want to make fresh sushi for lunch the next day

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 9:43 pm
Frumme wrote:

-Wash your uncooked rice. Mix in the bowl gently and drain off the water-- repeat until the water is clear or mostly clear; this removes excess starch
- use a rice cooker, following the cooking directions on the cooker. Seriously mine even has a sushi rice option lol. Takes out a lot of guess work
- use seasoned rice vinegar. Mix into the rice once it's done. It helps to spread out the rice into a huge bowl or tray to incorporate everything evenly and to allow the rice to cool down nicely (if it takes too long to cool down it will get a bit mushy)
- use fresh sushi rice whenever possible. In the past I've set my rice cooker up to be done in the morning if I want to make fresh sushi for lunch the next day

So this step I skipped.... I guess it makes a huge difference.

Also, does it make a difference if I use regular rice vinegar vs seasoned?

Do you you also have an affordable rice maker table you recommend? Does anyone have a rice maker thats affordable and simple to use?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 10:59 am
Bump

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you you also have an affordable rice maker table you recommend? Does anyone have a rice maker thats affordable and simple to use?

seasoned vinegar has sugar in it - which adds stickiness.

sushi rolls need freshly prepared rice.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:55 pm
I use the rice straight from the fridge I just wet my fingers a bit and then it's easier to smooth down.

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:02 pm
Frumme wrote:

Totally agree with above. We make sushi all the time and it comes out great. Definitely let rice cool and use it at room temperature or slightly warm not from fridge.

Definitely add rice vinegar both for flavor and texture after you cook the rice.

Thoroughly rinse your sushi rice over and over. Soaking optional

I wrap my bamboo mat in saran wrap before using. Makes cleaning a breeze and rice does not get stuck in slats.

First lay down a piece if nori, then spread rice thinly with wooden paddle and then roll with ingredients either inside or out (I like rice inside seaweed out)

Frumme

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you use unseasoned rice vinegar you'll need to add salt + sugar. Seasoned rice vinegar has those already added

I recommend a simple Aroma rice cooker with digital interface. They're probably around $25-30. If you can splurge I'd get one like this from their professional line https://a.co/d/duYtAv7

Rinsing the rice beforehand really makes a difference!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen