Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
What do we need? Swing, bouncer, exersaucer, playpen?
1  2  Next

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:24 am
I'm expecting my first, bshaah tova, and some of our relatives are pressuring us to register for things they can buy us. There are some things I know I'll need, but others that could either be "lifesavers" or "wastes of space." Which of these do I need? What's the difference between them?

I know what they all are, but for example when would I use a bouncer instead of a swing, or vice versa? When would I use an exersaucer instead of a playpen - don't they both keep the kid busy and safe for short periods of time if I need to do soemthing in the kitchen?

These are the four items I'm undecided about:

Bouncer
Swing
Exersaucer/Standing Gym
Playpen/Play yard

Any advice?

[Edit: We live in an apartment building, so space is limited - but we could store some things for when the baby is older in my parents' basement.]

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:29 am
Well first of all they are for different ages. You can only start using an exersaucer when the baby can sit up well. I didn't get a swing, and didn't miss it. But I can only speak for myself. Babys do get bored of all these things pretty quickly though (at least mine does)

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:31 am
Aidelmom wrote:
Well first of all they are for different ages. You can only start using an exersaucer when the baby can sit up well. I didn't get a swing, and didn't miss it.

But can a playpen be used throughout all ages? In which case, it makes sense to get that instead of an exersaucer? Or is an exersaucer "different" because it lets the kid stand up and makes them feel more independent?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:38 am
I have had 5 babies. No playpen because the first kid hated the one we borrowed. Definately swing, my kids used it a lot. Never had an exersaucer - I let my kids explore the house and when they wanted to stand - they hauled themselved up against a shelf or something.
A lot of these things depend on the type of baby you get and the type of mother you are. Some babies never want to be in a swing, others are only happy swinging away. Some docile babies are more than glad to play in a playpen, others just want out.
What an infant needs are: mommy with breasts, (bottle if that doesn't work), daddy, diapers and a place to sleep (be it mommy's bed or a bassinette or a crib or a cardboard box). A stroller to go out in, ditto car seat. Some clothes. Cloths to spit up on. That's all a baby needs and even that's more than most of the world's babies get.
All the rest you can get when you see what you "need" Very Happy

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:42 am
Excersaucer is the greatest.
All my kids loved the swing.
A playpen is only useful if you only want to keep your baby from roaming around, but still able to move.
Not sure what a bouncer is, but if it's a jumper that you attach to a doorpost, than your doorposts have to be strong and a lip big enough. I think an excersaucer is enough for both of them.

smiley:)

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:44 am
In terms of the things you wrote about, none are NEEDS, I think. I have 2 kids and we have none of the above. If it was a need we would probably have it. Some nice things to have for a little baby: rattles/bright colorful toys to look at, a "university"- the mat with toys hanging over it.

The toys you mentioned can all be hits or misses based on the child. It's really hard to know.

atlastamom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:48 am
I second what Tamiri said about it depends on your baby, but my experience was that the swing was really a lifesaver for the first few months. There were times when that was the only way my baby would sleep if he wasn't being held (which is very helpful if you want to throw some laundry in or throw together some supper)
I have a pack and play. It comes with a little diaper changing thing that goes over the top which was also very convenient. A pack and play is also useful if you go away for Shabbos or anytime and you need a portable crib.
I have an exersaucer, and if I was picking something myself, I think I would go for the Jumperoo style one. I think that would hold a baby's interest longer (more months) than one that just has toys around the top. (now my ds is 11 months and won't stay in it... but I think if he could jump in it and bounce it would still work)
This is just my opinion, and btw, I didn't buy any of these things... my aunts bought us the pack and play and gave me their swing and exersaucer that they weren't using anymore.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:51 am
I found a bouncer very useful. it was easy to move around, and worked as a nice 'dumping spot' for a swaddled baby. she hated the swing, but that's not too common. a lot of babies like them. we didn't have room for a crib in our room so we used a pack n play (like a playpen?) instead of a crib until we moved her out. now she uses an exersaucer, and I love it, and she loves it. I'm really happy we have one. also easy to move around. since we have some hard floors that I was nervous about when she was just rolling over, and now she opens drawers and stuff all over and I don't want caught fingers- the exersaucer's great because she can play nicely wherever she is and I can get whatever I need to get done quickly without having to think about what she's doing.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:52 am
In the beginning you'll need a crib/pack n play/cradle/bassinet for the baby to sleep in. At the same time, you'll want a swing or bouncy seat or both preferably. Plus, you need an infant car seat, a carriage. The exersaucer - you wont need for 5-6 months, but if you're doing a registry, put it on anyway. When the baby starts sitting up & eating solids, you'll want a high chair too.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:56 am
shopaholic wrote:
In the beginning you'll need a crib/pack n play/cradle/bassinet for the baby to sleep in. At the same time, you'll want a swing or bouncy seat or both preferably. Plus, you need an infant car seat, a carriage. The exersaucer - you wont need for 5-6 months, but if you're doing a registry, put it on anyway. When the baby starts sitting up & eating solids, you'll want a high chair too.

I'll have a crib fromt he time the baby is born. Will I need a packnplay ever, in your opinion, then?

And why would I want both a swing AND a bouncy seat? What's the difference in terms of when I'd put baby in one over the other?

And do I need an exersaucer if I get a packnplay?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:00 am
smiley:) wrote:
In terms of the things you wrote about, none are NEEDS, I think. I have 2 kids and we have none of the above. If it was a need we would probably have it. Some nice things to have for a little baby: rattles/bright colorful toys to look at, a "university"- the mat with toys hanging over it.

Smiley - I really do know that. And usually we're very clear on wants vs. needs. In this case, though, there are a lot of relatives (many not frum, as well as some grandparents' friends, etc) who are begging our parents to tell us where we registered. So unless we want to get 10 swings that we don't want, we decided it makes sense to register for thigns that at least we'll USE. We were only going to get a crib, drawers (because we have no storage space), a carseat, a stroller, some clothes, burpie cloths, some books, and not much else. But because people want to get things for us - and will get things for us no matter what - it makes sense to at least figure out what we'll actually use and what will be worthless so that they can buy accordingly. They're not needs - they're wants - and we realize that. But better wants than not-wants...

smiley:)

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:01 am
I hear ya. Was just commenting bc the title of your post is "what do we need? ..."

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:07 am
Smiley - good point. And I definitely see where you're coming - it's good to remind myself that these are most definitely not needs! B"H, we already have plenty of what we need...(except for burpie clothes - must get those...)

Bsimcha

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:11 pm
I love the fisher price seat that can turn into a toddler chair, I have it for a few kids and they all loved it.
I only got a pack and play for when we went easy and had to bring a bed for an older baby, over a year.

I like the floor mats and then the baby starts moving all over the floor.
Some kids loved the swing some don't really care.
I love the exersauser or jumperoo, all my kids loved a standing toy.
I like to have 2 places to put the baby into, can even be the carseat ot a carriage
for newborns and a play chair and/or exersaucer when they are about 4 months or so.

cubbie

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:24 pm
I have 2 kids and the only items I have that you mentioned is a bouncy chair - but a basic one, no hanging bits or music or lights etc one that they sit/lie in and the more they kick, the more it bounces and a pack 'n' play - but we only use it for travel not in the house. The first 3 months the babies slept in a mini-crib (I don't know what you call it in the States, in Israel it's an arisa) and you can wheel it from room to room which is great if you are in an apartment and don't have much space. I'm not really into all those other things I prefer a big blanket on the floor with toys on it - but did use the universal until they were able to roll and then they prefered being on their tummies so they didn't need anything above them to look at and try to reach. Some of the things that you metioned like the swing and the excersaucer are quite pricey - even if they are gifts it's a shame to have it if your baby doesn't like it, so I would wait until they are at the right age and try them in the shop or at a friend to see your babies reaction.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:37 pm
I find that a bouncer is really helpful. I put dd in hers when I'm working in the kitchen, doing laundry, or when we're eating. Also, she went through a period when she had reflux and was very uncomfortable laying down. So I put her to sleep in the bouncer instead of her crib. A bouncer is much easier to move from room to room than a swing.

We have a swing too, but we don't use it as much. It's great for when dd is really kvetchy and wants to be held all the time and I need to get things done. There have been a couple of nights I would not have gotten any sleep if it hadn't been for the swing.

We do have a pack 'n play. The crib we ordered didn't come until dd was a few weeks old, so we needed somewhere for her to sleep. We still have it in our room even though she usually sleeps in her own room now. It's great if you plan to go away for shabbos or on vacation.

We don't have an exersaucer, although we might get one when dd is a little older.

A playmat/activity gym is great and takes up very little room. We have this one.

There are things that you will need as your baby gets older which can get expensive, so maybe register to get them as baby gifts. For example: high chair, next size car seat, larger stroller, booster seat...

You can also register for a crib bedding set, nursery decor, mobile, bundle-me, stroller liner...

Amital

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:53 pm
Bouncer I found this really helpful when the baby is small but wants to look around, from day 1 to about 6 months when they sit up. It doesn't take up much room.

Swing I didn't use at all with my first, and didn't miss it, but had one available for my second. Very nice for when they are small. My sister's baby hated it!

Exersaucer/Standing Gym Both of my boys love this, from about 6 months on. It takes up a lot of space, but they can play in it for a while, and it helped me get some cooking, Shabbos prep, reading to the oldest, etc... done.

Playpen/Play yard This was a really useful item for us since we were traveling all over when both kids were small--moving states and countries! I use/used it as a crib. Plus it's helpful for guests. I don't really use it to contain them to play. I do have friends with a two story house who use it as the crib/changing table downstairs, but in an apartment, that wouldn't work.

My order would be bouncer, exersaucer, swing, pack-n-play, unless you are traveling, in which case you might want the playpen first.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:00 pm
well my first one hated the swing & liked the bouncer. the second one lived in the swing and hated the bouncer. I didn't buy an activity mat for either of them- I put them on the floor on a blanket with toys & they were fine. the pack n play was hated by both of my kids- I did much better with the bassinet on my stroller until they turned over & then we went straight into a crib. the first liked an exersaucer & the second turned her nose up at it but loved the jumperoo.

I think what I'm trying to get at is wait until your baby is born & then borrow equipment first to see if your baby likes it. many of the things I discovered my babies disliked were borrowed first & I never had to waste money discovering they hated it.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:02 pm
OK I haven't read all the responses. The bouncer is really helpful. It's also lightweight and pretty easy to move around from room to room. My babies all liked it until they sat up. Avraham Tzvi still uses his. He can sit up and watch the action, etc. Also helpful is one of those toy bars (the kind that are an arch and have about 3 toys dangling on them). I often take the toy off the bouncer and put the toy bar over him so he can play with the toys that way.

We have a swing. He isn't a big fan, never was except for about the first 2 weeks or so. Rivka however only slept in it for 3 months, so for her it was a lifesaver. My twins both liked the swing and I have pics of them in it when they were about 9 months old, so I guess it was a well used piece of baby gear.

A portable crib is really nice to have in your room. I never had a child who liked to be in one (even with toys) except to sleep, but you might get lucky Smile I wouldn't count on it to entertain / contain the baby, but it is very handy for going away for Shabbos, etc. They make one now that is smaller so it can go through doors, I wish I had that one because it is a PITA to halfway collapse it every time I wanted to move it from the LR to the bedroom.

I think an exersause is a nice extra, again some babies really like them, so can take them or leave them. It gives teh baby a new view in the kitchen and some toys when they are older to get bored with the bouncer and you still want to contain them.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:27 pm
If you do get a swing get one that collapses. I think fisher price makes a portable swing that is really small. It sits close to the ground like a bouncer and takes up very little room.
I find some kids like the bouncer better and others the swing.
The swing is really helpful with rocking a fussy babby during the day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics