Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Let’s talk about cholent-positive words only!

effess

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:27 am
After reading some very offensive descriptions and insulting words about one of my favorite foods on another thread, I’d like to open this space to talk about cholent in a more positive tone. The centrality of cholent to my shabbos might seem extreme to you. But I’m sure I’m not the only one.
So here’s a space to share any positive thoughts, experience, inspiration, etc as it relates to cholent.
Let’s give cholent more honor and put it back on the pedestal it deserves.
Humor is permitted.

provent

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:28 am
warm and comfort food
but only on Friday afternoon and Friday night... by the time it's cooked through, I can't look at it.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:29 am
Warm, homey, gas-inducing.
I once heard someone say that if you can eat cholent for lunch, nap and get up for early mincha, you must believe in תחיית המתים !

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:40 am
It's possible to make it lighter and more easily digestible by varying the ingredients - using chicken instead of meat, for example - delicious!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:48 am
I love cholent,
But not my own.

As much as I try,
I feel all alone

In the miserable place
For those, hungry and pale

Whose cholent is always
Doomed to fail.

I've tried with beans
With barley, with meat

Potatoes whole or chunked
Spicy or sweet

With onions sauteed
With ketchup, with beer

With overnight kugel
Or chicken soup clear...

But whatever I try
My hopes rising strong

It always turns out
Somehow just wrong.

I line my crockpot
Not just for washing, it's true

But to simplify the tossing
Of uneaten stew.

When my crockpot broke
I was sad at the waste

But I have to admit
It has not been replaced.

yc

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:49 am
some guys were saved from a terrorist attack recently by cholent! it was at the attack in the park in elad I think.
they were sitting in their car eating cholent when the terrorist approached them and they threw the hot cholent in the terrorist's face preventing him from attacking. it worked!

also you can get a ticket if you are driving under the influence of cholent- just kidding!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 3:03 am
As said you can add lighter ingredients. Lots of times we use wings. Yummy. We use orange squash (delorit) and zuchinni, love pearl barley in it and small amount of beans. I love it late Shabbat night (2.00am). Meats are great because of the fat. I dont use Kishka but love it when others do. True story, we were selling our apartment and I had the Chulent up in a crock pot Friday morning. The house smelled so yummy, the agent and family came in and loved the way the house smelled. (they did buy the apt.) My mom would make the cholent in her oven. So many ways of doing it!

Raisin

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 4:30 am
lamb, onions, garlic, potatoes, and pearl barley. Yum.

fleetwood

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 5:54 am
Honestly..its the smell. You know its shabbat when you wake up to that smell. Its wonderful.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 5:56 am
Raisin wrote:
lamb, onions, garlic, potatoes, and pearl barley. Yum.

Sounds delish 😋
Which type of lamb do you use?

zaq

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 9:06 am
I'm a fan of any food that requires minimal preparation and babysitting. Just gather your ingredients, put them in a pot and heat them for a long time. What's not to love? Plus, it's incredibly flexible. You can be missing one or more of your usual ingredients and it's still good. If you have vegan guests you can leave out the meat. If you have Sephardi guests you can add garbanzos and middle eastern spices in lieu of your Ashkenazi seasonings. You can add various veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes. It's so versatile that it's kind of hard to define it, since you can leave out meat or barley or beans or potatoes and it's still cholent. And when you grow tired of it as is, you can add water and make soup.

In fact, I think you could you use it as a metaphor for Am Yisrael: It's composed of parts that are very different from each other but nevertheless work together to make something that is more than the sum of its parts. It can be found all over the world. In every place where it is found, it adapts itself to its environment, modifying superficial characteristics yet retaining its essential character. It's flexible and forgiving. It welcomes and incorporates foreign additions provided they accept its conditions. And it's hard to define.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 9:09 am
I'm sorry, as much as I try, I just can't get behind cholent. The worst part is washing up after Shabbos. Blaeughh.

effess

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 9:31 am
amother Hunter wrote:
I'm sorry, as much as I try, I just can't get behind cholent. The worst part is washing up after Shabbos. Blaeughh.

Kindly start your own thread😉

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 9:47 am
effess wrote:

And amother hunter, for your own emotional safety, maybe the Safe Haven forum. You'll get the support you need there. Hugs.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 10:09 am
effess wrote:

I think I'll call it "S/O cholent- express your hatred here"
LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note