Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Anyone else disappointed that it’s over Shabbos & not 3d YT
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:30 pm
I love 3 day YTs. I find them sooo much more relaxing and I love having time for everything.
I love eating dairy over Shavout and on Shabbos we eat meat. My wonderful opportunity to have company for dairy meals gone with the flash of a calendar.

Even a Wednesday/Thursday YT is better.

100% aware that this is a not a real life problem. Just disappointed.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:32 pm
I’m actually happy it’s not, but only because I’m completely out of vacation time.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:33 pm
Nope not disappointed. I was jumping for joy when I saw how it falls out this year!!
I hate three day Tom tov (especially not being able to shower properly and apply fresh makeup).
Also, I always found the second night of shavuos o be extremely difficult because it is so insanely late. This year we can make early shabbos!!!

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:36 pm
Here in Israel I'm excited to have two days! One always feels a little short, because my family members stay up and the day meal is super casual.

mommyhood

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:37 pm
I love it this way, some days off work but not too many, Sunday to recover and get the house back in order and cooking is way easier because Shabbos food is somewhat traditional with less menu planning.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:39 pm
It’s perfect!
Dairy festival on Friday followed by a regular Shabbos with dairy leftovers by shalosh seudas.

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:43 pm
Gone with the flash of a calendar😂
I like it. 3 days is a bit much and this way there’s no shabbos right after either. We eat meat for the meals anyway.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:45 pm
I like it this way to have a Sunday b4 going back to work

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:50 pm
Yes! I always love YT! The chilled schedule, no rushing for carpool, everybody is happier!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:52 pm
I guess I’m the only one ☹️.
I will be running in from work Thursday afternoon, hurrying to get ready for YT. Make Eruv tavshilin. Spend all Friday cooking for Shabbos.
With 3 days, once I light I am free until Friday afternoon.
I can also make more dairy things that I love because we have more meals to eat them. I also have more time with my family when it is YT and not a day off to do errands while they are doing their own thing.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:54 pm
I am always disappointed when YT coincides with Shabbos, I always feel gypt, like I'm losing out on a special day because it's doubled up. But I'm one who loves YT in all forms, I don't mind 3 day YT and I don't mind when YT is over on Thursday night and then Shabbos, etc. This is my worst type I guess, when I miss out by overlapping with Shabbos. (I also feel really bad for Israelis when a 1-day YT falls on Shabbos. Then they really are "gyped".

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:54 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
I like it this way to have a Sunday b4 going back to work

I will readily acknowledge that Shabbos Sunday is the worst TY schedule.
I don’t think Shabbos Sunday Monday exists.

SwissAlps

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I will readily acknowledge that Shabbos Sunday is the worst TY schedule.
I don’t think Shabbos Sunday Monday exists.

Of course it does. That is how Shavuos was last year. And sometimes first days of pesach are like that.

And spoiler alert. The whole Tishrei is Shabbos and Sunday this year.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:10 pm
SwissAlps wrote:
Of course it does. That is how Shavuos was last year. And sometimes first days of pesach are like that.

And spoiler alert. The whole Tishrei is Shabbos and Sunday this year.

I’ll take that over 3 days or 2 days midweek.
Not bad at all!

pause

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:18 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
I’ll take that over 3 days or 2 days midweek.
Not bad at all!

Agree! The Shabbos, YT, Shabbos, YT schedule we had the last few years was really challenging. The nonstop cooking, eating heavy meals, kids around but I'm too busy to play with them... I prefer 3 day YT rather than that.

Golde

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess I’m the only one ☹️.
I will be running in from work Thursday afternoon, hurrying to get ready for YT. Make Eruv tavshilin. Spend all Friday cooking for Shabbos.
With 3 days, once I light I am free until Friday afternoon.
I can also make more dairy things that I love because we have more meals to eat them. I also have more time with my family when it is YT and not a day off to do errands while they are doing their own thing.

Can't you make a dairy shabbos if you love it so much? That's what we do. It's Shavuos after all!
Also it's much easier for me to just cook all the food at once rather than having to prepare both milchig and fleischig.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:29 pm
Nope nope nope. Three day YTim are very hard. For people working in the secular world, YT over a Shabbat means a savings of one precious vacation day. For people who work on an hourly basis, YT over Shabbat means one day less of no work and no money. For students in secular schools, YT over Shabbat means one less missed day of classes. And within the home, three-day YTim are hard for a variety of reasons to numerous to list. But I'll list just one: Three days without a shower.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:32 pm
Relieved, because I'll be very pregnant and this way I'll have less days to worry about.

Actually I usually go away for Shavuos but this year it's just too close to my due date!

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:32 pm
While I do understand the appeal of a 3 day YT, I am grateful for the way it falls out this year, as I'm expecting and due Erev Shavuos and I anticipate that IYH I will have a newborn by then. Freezing food for a 2 day YT is a lot easier than figuring out a 3 day YT.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:37 pm
For you.
I work in the secular world. Using a day of day of vacation like this is worth far more to me than when my kids want me to use vacation to run with them somewhere
My very close friend has her children in Yeshiva and one child who has different needs which are met by the public school. She actually send her and it gives the rest of her family respite and a beautiful YT. (FYI At this time of the year, college is over Sukkot is a different story).

Yes ok to like or not like the schedule. There is nothing to debate. We can’t control it no matter how hard we want to or try
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics