Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you or someone you know pay for this service?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:10 pm
I have been thinking of starting a service to provide technology tutoring/aid, for those who are elderly/behind the times or who want to gain a missing skill.

My question is if people would pay enough to make it worthwhile. Most people have a relative who can teach these things, is this worth trying to do?

I am a computer professional, I do know a bit more than the average millennial. I would offer to help in any way people need, one on one in client homes or in groups in my home.

I would cover topics like:

What is wifi? Do I need it? How can I get it, how strong do I need, what's the best deal I can get, where should I have it set up, do I need an extender?

Do I need a computer or another type of device, and what model do I need? How about printers, or other external devices?

Do I need to buy any programs or can I use free ones? How do I install programs? How do I make accounts? Use Zoom to talk with the grandkids? How do I use these programs?

Internet shopping basics, getting good prices, avoiding getting scammed, avoiding viruses, setting up filters, shortcuts.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:12 pm
My grandmother did this for years. She had someone who came to her house and taught her to use the computer her iphone etc. She wanted to keep up with technology and was able to afford it. She was very savy for her age.

newinbp

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:13 pm
Depends where, many public libraries offer this service for free as well as Jewish community centers. So if your area doesn't offer it for free already, I'd say go for it!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:14 pm
newinbp wrote:
Depends where, many public libraries offer this service for free as well as Jewish community centers. So if your area doesn't offer it for free already, I'd say go for it!

Probably my library does offer something like this. I would be offering fully customized course, evening hours and Sunday, and in private.

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:16 pm
I'm too young to give a firm answer but I think this is so important for the elderly community. I'm watching first hand how my grandparents are struggling with managing online bills, scammer phone calls, using cell phones.
it's literally a mitzva.
hopefully an opportunity they'll appreciate and hire you for.

newinbp

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:19 pm
So maybe put an ad in your local place and specify private, see what response you get. Hatzlacha raba!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:24 pm
Whoever I know that would not know how to navigate these things , would ask a family member or friend to assist them.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 4:26 pm
I know someone who did most were not willing to pay a lot. It’s maybe good as a third income to bring in a few extra dollars that’s all.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:05 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Whoever I know that would not know how to navigate these things , would ask a family member or friend to assist them.

My thought as well.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 5:37 pm
Would you or someone you know pay for this?
I don't know anyone personally who would.

Boca00

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:13 pm
Would a Jewish community service or library hire you to do group sessions for this?

Java

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:50 pm
Like other posters said this sounds like an amazing service but I'm not sure that people would pay you for it though
It would be a great chesed opportunity tho
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics