Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Hospital bills going to collections
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 6:36 am
Anyone have experience with this?

I actually can afford to pay and plan to pay. I was negotiating with the hospital for a lower charge. I woukd ask the call center for the manager they'd give me the run around and eventually say a manager would call. But they didn't.

It's been a few months and now they sent it to collections. I'm pretty furious but what can I do.

This is kimball in Lakewood by the way

Some questions:
1. What does this do to my credit score that it was sent? I'm buying a house soon so this is important. My credit score is excellent.
I pay off cc in full each month, etc

2.what does negotiating with the collections agency for a lower amount do 6i my credit score.

3. Are they more or less likely to give alme a discount?

BTW, I'm asking for a discount because they are charging an excessive amount for a scan I had there. Outpatient, NOT ER.
I always use standalone facilities for this reason but my Dr sent me there and I forgot about that issue. The amount was "negotoated' with my insurance company" but is completely out of line based on what I've beed charged for other scans in other places.

Anyone been through this and can give advice?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 6:44 am
I have a high deductible so I am paying the full amount.

They are charging over $1500 for a 20 min (was probably even shorter) ultrasound. One technician, etc.

For comparison, I get a 45 minute mri w contrast every year, an iv and multiple technicians involved, lots for the radiologist to see and it's $600 to $800.

Why didn't I insist on a freestanding facility!

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 7:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a high deductible so I am paying the full amount.

They are charging over $1500 for a 20 min (was probably even shorter) ultrasound. One technician, etc.

For comparison, I get a 45 minute mri w contrast every year, an iv and multiple technicians involved, lots for the radiologist to see and it's $600 to $800.

Why didn't I insist on a freestanding facility!

What is the charged amount and the contracted rate? I'm wondering why your insurer would agree to a contacted rate that is high - that's not in their best interest.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 7:29 am
I think medical debt is not counted for things like mortgages if I remember correctly. You can often call the collection agency and negotiate with them too.

listenhere

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 7:34 am
I’ve been on a high deductible plan and it was very frustrating. They need to charge you what they negotiate with the insurance company because the insurance company keeps track of your payments. I was never successful in negotiating it down.

However, if it was just sent to collections they probably didn’t report it to the credit agencies yet. If you pay it now, even if you negotiate with the collections agency, it shouldn’t end up on your credit report. You can make this a part of the negotiation as well, ask them not to report it, or, if it was reported, to remove it.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 7:45 am
I have had medical debt sent to collections before and it hasn't affected my credit. My score is at mid 7 hundreds.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:01 am
Medical bills don’t affect your credit score

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:05 am
If you keep calling the call center and asking for a manager and that’s not getting you anywhere , I’d try getting the names of the director or other higher ups from their website, and reaching out to them via email or calling them directly.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:12 am
I've had basically the same experience with a bill from Kimball. 3 times they assured me that the bill was on hold and they would send me a financial aid package until one day I got a letter that it was in collections. It's a medical bill so it doesn't show up on your credit report, paid or unpaid. The goodish news for you now is that it'll stay reported to your insurance as the full amount towards your deductible and you can negotiate down with collections

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:22 am
amother Lily wrote:
I've had basically the same experience with a bill from Kimball. 3 times they assured me that the bill was on hold and they would send me a financial aid package until one day I got a letter that it was in collections. It's a medical bill so it doesn't show up on your credit report, paid or unpaid. The goodish news for you now is that it'll stay reported to your insurance as the full amount towards your deductible and you can negotiate down with collections

This is so helpful.

Do you think they're "sending to collections" just to scare me?

Any tips on negotiating at this stage

mikayla18

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:38 am
Don't ask for a manager. Ask if you can pay $500 in full now
Or ask if you can pay $10 per month.
It'll go away after a bit

amother
Lily

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:46 am
amother OP wrote:
This is so helpful.

Do you think they're "sending to collections" just to scare me?

Any tips on negotiating at this stage

They aren't just trying to scare you. They literally don't have the staff to follow up on these things. Collections is them outsourcing their receivables department.

I'd call collections and tell them the amount you're willing to pay and over how much time. Because it's so recent they'll definitely push back on discounts but you could literally hang up and call again the next day, get a new person, and try again. Dont let them do direct withdrawals or keep a credit card on file.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:56 am
I know people who couldn't get a mortgage because of hospital/medical bills. Don't know how it effects the credit score, but know 2 people who had a law suit ultimately filed against them which effected their ability to get a mortgage.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:00 am
amother Babypink wrote:
I know people who couldn't get a mortgage because of hospital/medical bills. Don't know how it effects the credit score, but know 2 people who had a law suit ultimately filed against them which effected their ability to get a mortgage.

Not sure if it’s a state or federal law but in NY it’s is illegal to put someone’s medical debt onto their credit. Which means technically even if you never pay it can’t go on your credit. Not sure about NJ.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:22 am
My bills in collections have not affected my credit score. There is a book on negotiating medical bills called Never Pay the First Bill.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:32 am
Im in NJ and just had a hospital bill sent to collections. It says on the bill that it doesnt affect my credit score. I was also told not to pay the first bill and after a few months they will try to settle it with a much smaller amount..

amother
Lily

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:35 am
amother Babypink wrote:

This only happens if you completely ignore it. If you make any type of payment (even $5) or have on record conversations to negotiate with them, they can't take you to court and garnish wages for it.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:35 am
I had a situation like this, I reached out to my insurance company and kept calling the hospital billing department, and eventually the hospital ombudsman till I finally got someone who would respond. They might call it patient advocacy, or customer (dis)service.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Violet wrote:
My bills in collections have not affected my credit score. There is a book on negotiating medical bills called Never Pay the First Bill.

Thank you everyone. This is so helpful.

So if I offer them an amount and they write off the rest it won't affect my score?

Any other tips?
I'm checking out this book.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you everyone. This is so helpful.

So if I offer them an amount and they write off the rest it won't affect my score?

Any other tips?
I'm checking out this book.

Living lchaim just posted an episode interviewing the author!! So watch this instead of reading Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....3D%3D
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics