Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/o what brand purse is "age appropriate" for me
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:25 pm
This is a spin off of the Kate spade thread, which made me feel quite self conscious.

I'm in my mid 30s, will not/cannot spend money on a luxury purse like a LV.

But I do care a little bit (so please don't respond with "you do you!" Type posts).

What brands are not for teenagers and not totally dated?
From that thread, I gather that MK isn't high end, Kate spade is for teenagers, and coach is dated.

I'd love to buy a new summer bag for myself.

Definitely a crossbody, preferably a nice color (either patent black or a red leather maybe), $300-500. I don't like bags where the strap feels like plasticy out of shape leather.

Anyone want to help me out?

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:03 pm
You might do well with a brand that isn't loud with the logo, so even if you have it for a while it won't get too dated.

Look at Strathberry, Mansur Gavriel, Leatherology for genuine leather bags in your price range that aren't very young and trendy. Furla or Tory Burch can work too, but they're worn by both teens and older women, so if you want to avoid matching with teens then opt for other brands. And a tip - if you plan on using the bag for the summer, avoid straps that ate metal, because it's much heavier and hotter to wear than a leather strap.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:04 pm
Polene!!
Botkier
Cuyana
See by Chloe
Leatherology

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:05 pm
https://eng.polene-paris.com/p.....w_wcB

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:05 pm
Also gigi Ny

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:41 pm
I wear Marc Jacobs. It's a mature bag and the logo isn't big, so I don't care.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:43 pm
amother Thistle wrote:

Half of my daughter’s seminary had Marc Jacobs brands. I wish they hadn’t. I think they’re cute.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:22 pm
Someone mentioned polene. I love my polene bag. It’s a classic. In my 30s classy slightly trendy style.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:40 pm
Try all saints. Love their stuff. Unique and look high end. Also rag and bone.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 9:22 pm
If you want higher end you can find in Woodbury commons for the price you’re looking for

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:43 am
Thanks for the replies! I'm not opposed to branding/logos that show. I'm going to shop around on some of the mentioned brands and see what I find!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:44 am
amother Thistle wrote:

I work in a large school in Flatbush. I feel like a lot of the assistants, who are just out of 12th grade, wear either furla or marc Jacobs, with some coach and MK sprinkled in.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 4:07 am
Tiffany and Fred
Pinko
Mario Valentino
Ted Baker
Zac Posen
These are in the $200-$300 range I believe
Coach is not out of style if you get something that’s not the typical brown on brown they have gorgeous simple leather options

Try looking at designer sale sites like
The real real
The outnet
Saks off fifth
Revolve

imaima

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 6:43 am
Longchamp
Mansur Gavriel
Tory Burch
Marc Jacobs
Polene
All Saints

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 6:52 am
I just read the other thread. Please consider that one poster said she got it for her little's sister's graduation. Please don't take that to mean it's for little kids. There are plenty of adults who wear Kate Spade. I personally love the style, it's very my type. I'm not so young Smile For my most recent purchase, I was deciding between Kate Spade and Coach. I ended up with the Coach because they just happened to have one that I liked at that time for a better price. It's a beautiful and high-quality bag. I also have a Marc Jacob's sporty crossbody for travel. It was between that and a Tori, and I liked the MJ better.

I happen to live in a community where no one cares about brand names, but I was raised to buy nice things, and I still like them. BH at least I don't need the most cutting edge name to feel good. I also own a Furla, it's at least 20 years old, I bought it before anyone in the frum world ever heard of it. There is no name on it. It's beautiful and long lasting. It's tiny and I use it for simchas.

I can't afford LV or Ferragamo, and if I could, I hope I wouldn't be temped to buy it.

Do yourself a favor and buy what you like, not what anyone else considers the right thing.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 6:53 am
As a tip, if you are interested in Coach, sign up for its email list. They have amazing sales online. That's how I bought mine.

There are also great bags at 6pm.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:04 am
This thread is weird. If a bag serves its purpose -- right size, well-made, looks nice -- who cares who manufactured it?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:07 am
Different age groups can wear the same thing without it being weird.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:54 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
If you want higher end you can find in Woodbury commons for the price you’re looking for

I can definitely go. What brands can I look for there?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:58 am
DrMom wrote:
This thread is weird. If a bag serves its purpose -- right size, well-made, looks nice -- who cares who manufactured it?

Me, the op.
I do.
I'd like to get something trendy and with a known brand. (not an obnoxious huge logo, but yes a brand)

If you can't relate, I totally get it and commend you for your practical attitude and super functional purse.

But I like to know what brands and styles people my age/stage are gravitating towards, and the previous thread made me wonder.

If I'm spending a few hundred dollars on something I want to make me feel good when I use it. (To spark joy as the kids are saying lol)

Please keep the suggestions coming!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics