Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Going rate Floortime Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:13 pm
Anybody can share what the going rate is for a Floortime provider (no degree) in Lakewood?

cupcake123

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:30 pm
What does no degree mean ?
This person is not certified in floortime ?
Or doesn't have a masters as an SLP , special Ed etc..
I would not use a person with no degree or certification- who would ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:31 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
What does no degree mean ?
This person is not certified in floortime ?
Or doesn't have a masters as an SLP , special Ed etc..
I would not use a person with no degree or certification- who would ?

Most Floortime therapy is provided by lightly trained people under supervision of a professional. Kids can get 10 hours a week - nobody is paying a licensed therapist for that.

cupcake123

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Most Floortime therapy is provided by lightly trained people under supervision of a professional. Kids can get 10 hours a week - nobody is paying a licensed therapist for that.

Really? I'm guessing this has something to do with insurance. Out of pocket no one would pay for a lightly trained person.
Anyway I guess I don't know the answer to your question- good luck !!

mom24b

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

I beg to differ. I’m a certified Floortime Provider and yes ppl pay for a Floortime therapist. I don’t know what “lightly trained” means. Does that mean she took some webinars? Read Stanley Greenspan’s books? Someone told her what to do? Who is supervising her? I don’t suggest you use someone without proper certification through the ICDL. It is very unlikely you will be able to see much benefit without a certified Floortime therapist. I don’t want you to waste your, time and energy and money. I suggest you chose a provider from this list https://www.dirdirectory.com/d.....ioner

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:03 pm
mom24b wrote:
I beg to differ. I’m a certified Floortime Provider and yes ppl pay for a Floortime therapist. I don’t know what “lightly trained” means. Does that mean she took some webinars? Read Stanley Greenspan’s books? Someone told her what to do? Who is supervising her? I don’t suggest you use someone without proper certification through the ICDL. It is very unlikely you will be able to see much benefit without a certified Floortime therapist. I don’t want you to waste your, time and energy and money. I suggest you chose a provider from this list https://www.dirdirectory.com/d.....ioner

I appreciate your input, but many people can’t afford to go private. These providers are covered by insurance. The highly skilled ones are not.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:06 pm
But anyways, I’m not looking to judge people’s choices. There are agencies who are hiring nonprofessionals and take care of training, etc. I only want to know what they pay.

Coffee beanz

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:08 pm
If you have medicaid nj covers floortime.

Coffee beanz

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:09 pm
mom24b wrote:

Great advice! Hello fellow floortimer

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:09 pm
Coffee beanz wrote:
If you have medicaid nj covers floortime.

Right. And what do the agencies pay those providers?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:35 pm
What's floortime

mom24b

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
But anyways, I’m not looking to judge people’s choices. There are agencies who are hiring nonprofessionals and take care of training, etc. I only want to know what they pay.

Shame on those agencies! I have no idea what they would pay, but I’m guessing not very much. Any agency that is doing this, is taking advantage of parents. The agency claims they are providing Floortime therapy but are most likely providing “glorified babysitting “. I don’t see how it’s possible to “lightly train” someone to provide effective Floortime therapy. It seems to me the agency is trying to mimic the ABA “technician” model, but is impossible to do with Floortime. ABA is very black and white charting that anyone can be trained to do. The greatness of Floortime is that there is no “textbook formula “. Floortime is about building neuropassages,. We focus on creating functional play, purposeful and meaningful circles of communication. The only way to do that is to meet the child where they are at. Every single child is different. Their level of development and engagement will widely vary. You have to have knowledge and skill . There is no checklist to follow. Floortime therapists draws on her knowledge and creativity. There is no playbook on how to take a child’s non purposeful play (like spinning wheels of a car) and turn it into meaningful play while engaging child . What worked with one child may frustrate and stress the next child. You can’t be lightly trained. You need proper knowledge to be a Floortime therapist. A Floortime therapist holds the knowledge in mind while drawing on her own creativity and imagination to determine course of therapy. This will change throughout a session. I can’t imagine someone can train you in this . It is imperative the therapist matches child’s state and modulates affect and tone as needed. The “script” will change as you go . There’s no way you can be lightly trained. Most importantly the Floortime model requires family participation. One of the main roles of Floortime therapist is to model her sessions for parents and teach the parents. How can someone “lightly trained “ that doesn’t have the necessary understanding or background teach and guide the parents?? In my opinion this is nothing more than a scam. If they are preying on desperate parents, how generous pay do you think they will give you? You are most likely better off (financially and morally) taking a different job. I’m sorry for my rant. I can’t stomach ppl taking advantage of those with disabilities and families that are truly suffering. These agencies are looking to make a quick buck off a family’s pain. They aren’t providing adequate therapy. They are misleading the parents. Parents believe they are getting their children the best therapies. If the Floortime “therapy” yields little result, the parents will believe their child has reached their limit of growth and give up. In reality if the child has made little progress, it’s liklely the “therapy” the child was receiving was no different then the interactions mom has with child constantly. I don’t see how anything a “lightly trained “ provider does can be anymore effective then a teenage babysitter. You can’t possibly be providing effective treatment without the appropriate knowledge. This is a crime in my opinion.

Last edited by mom24b on Tue, May 16 2023, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

mom24b

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I appreciate your input, but many people can’t afford to go private. These providers are covered by insurance. The highly skilled ones are not.

Certified “skilled providers” usually have a degree (SLP,OT,MSW….) and are covered under insurance. It seems to me you are either misinformed or being misled.

Last edited by mom24b on Tue, May 16 2023, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

mom24b

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:11 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
What's floortime

A therapy for special needs children

mikayla18

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:15 pm
Most agencies for aba also don't necessarily have highly skilled or trained providers. There's a "manager" that's making sure the provider is doing the right thing but most agencies hire people that don't have a degree (check their advertising lol) and just tell em what to do, that's how the agencies get so rich. They hire unskilled people for $20 per hour while they make probably 5x that

mom24b

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:29 pm
mikayla18 wrote:
Most agencies for aba also don't necessarily have highly skilled or trained providers. There's a "manager" that's making sure the provider is doing the right thing but most agencies hire people that don't have a degree (check their advertising lol) and just tell em what to do, that's how the agencies get so rich. They hire unskilled people for $20 per hour while they make probably 5x that

Yes read my above post. I specifically addressed this exact thing. ABA is scripted so it’s possible for non trained to do. Floortime is the exact opposite. Floortime is fluid, following child’s lead (whatever that might be at any given time within the session.) There’s no way to know in advance what child will come in doing that day, so there’s no way to provide a non educated person with a plan.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:33 pm
As another certified floortime practitioner (and licensed OT) I have to agree with the others. Whatever service these people are providing, it's not floortime. And yes, shame on agencies that represent it as such.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:38 pm
My daughter used to work for an agency in Lakewood as a floortime therapist, and a degree was required (which she has), in addition to training they provided.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
My daughter used to work for an agency in Lakewood as a floortime therapist, and a degree was required (which she has), in addition to training they provided.

Thank you! Would you be willing to share the approximate pay rate?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:23 pm
I don't work for an agency, but I work in the field and I have seen both (children working with private pay therapists or through agencies) and I see that the model of lightly trained therapists under supervision can actually be an amazing, effective model.
If you have a very skilled and dedicated BCBA, who does proper ongoing training, and a para (lightly trained) under her, who is doing the actual sessions, you can definitely see progress and success.
The para is working with the child 20 hours a week- far more hours than most besides the wealthy can afford privately....
While the child working with a private pay (very experienced) therapist will be seeing her once or twice a week at max....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries