Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O Class size- is 28 too large? Moving…

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:31 pm
I am moving from one city to another and my son’s class size will be going from 16 kids in Pre-1a this year to 28 kids in first grade next year.

I hadn’t thought much about the increase but the recent threads have gotten me worried that 28 boys in a first grade class is simply too large for children to get the attention they need, especially at that age.

Can anyone share their child’s experiences, good or bad, with a class that size?

The school did tell us they split into groups with assistant teacher/s for a few different subjects.

Hoping to be reassured but I realize I may not be…

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 8:37 pm
Yes it is! I'm experienced first grade teacher and you can't compare a class of 16 to a class of 28. I mean if your kid is perfectly average he'll probably be fine. But the quality the attention and the ability to accommodate kids needs goes drastically down as the class size increases.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 9:14 pm
I would never choose a school with 28 boys in a class. But I assume you have very good reasons for the move so you hopefully make the best of it.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:52 pm
My 1st grader currently has 27 kids in his class. His rebbi is excellent so no issues in the morning but comes English even with a good teacher its hard as the boys are tired and the day is long they have english from 130 to 430 I wish they can have a smaller class but in my neighborhood there arent any small schools with smaller class sizes. Very child dependant my older son was fine this one needs a seit with him to get through english.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 10:56 pm
I taught 1st grade for over 15 years u can't compare a class of 16 to 28. I always said the classes with up to 20- 22 kids I felt I could reach each child once it was bigger than that then that's where I felt you physically couldn't get to each child as an individual

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:07 pm
how many assistant teachers--- are they with JUST that class or do they float to other classes? If they are JUST with that class and there are small group breakouts with both limudei kodesh and limudei chol, I wouldn't worry too much. Assistants/paras can be fantastic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics