Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which yeshiva for DS? US/Israel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:44 am
DS is in 12th grade. He is a good, respectful, intelligent boy. He is looking for a yeshiva that's more "chilled", yet has a productive program. Ds will go to college, (he received a merit based scholarship) but for now we want him to stay within a yeshiva environment.

We spoke to his yeshiva and rebbe. They don't seem to understand what DS wants, or they just may not know.

Ds recently mentioned Netiv Aryeh. It's not exactly aligned with our familys hashkofa, but we can be open minded.

Are there any yeshivas in the US that would work for DS? (Netiv closed registration months ago)

For all those saying that we woke up late, no we didn't. We have been calling the yeshiva since after succos. They told us that we are to early. I guess it depends on the type of yeshiva

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:52 am
To get help here, I think you'll need to be clearer about where you are hashkafically, and why you didn't go through the standard registration process.

What kind of school is ds in now? What do the staff expect him to do next year? In schools where boys go to Israel for the year, there's an application season.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get in now, but even yeshivas that have room will be curious about why you didn't come through the standard pipeline.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:19 am
amother Ginger wrote:
To get help here, I think you'll need to be clearer about where you are hashkafically, and why you didn't go through the standard registration process.

What kind of school is ds in now? What do the staff expect him to do next year? In schools where boys go to Israel for the year, there's an application season.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get in now, but even yeshivas that have room will be curious about why you didn't come through the standard pipeline.

Ds attended a Yeshivish style yeshiva for HS. His classmates are going to typical Bais Medrish. Ds doesn't have any interest.

After succos we reached out to the yeshiva for advise. This is the time when DDs school started talking about seminary. We were told that it's to early. Ds is our oldest boy, we are clueless.

We had multiple conversations with his Rebbe and Rosh Yeshiva. They both told us to wait until Shavous time. The option we were given is Ner Yisrael. DS doesn't feel like it's an option. I feel that DS will get lost there. (His Rebbe recently told us that he was hoping DS would change his mind about next year, and would want to go to a typical US Beis Medrish)

We are frum, black hat and we hate labels. I personally feel that it's most important for DS to be in a warm yeshiva style environment before he goes to college.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:19 am
Duplicate

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:28 am
My brother attended Torah Temimah in Brooklyn for his entire schooling career, but he had a lot of hashkafic questions which weren't addressed in Yeshiva nor at home.

He ended up finding himself a program for religious boys whom want to grow in Ohr Sameach, and studied there for two years -- which was a brilliant move, and which changed his life for the better. This was more than a decade ago, so I don't know what programs exist in Ohr Sameach/Aish Hatorah/Hakotel Yeshiva etc., but it may be worth looking to see if they have a yeshivish track

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:15 am
Got it. Netiv Aryeh is a solid place, but really very different from where you are now.

camp123

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:35 am
Beis yisrael in nevei yakov, Israel could be a good fit.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:41 am
I think Bais Yisroel would be perfect for him too

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 7:37 am
There are a couple avreichim from Ner Yisroel starting a yeshiva next year in Baltimore geared toward boys that would otherwise be going to Israel the year after 12th. Much smaller than Ner Yisroel and might be worth it to check into.
Rabbi Avigdor Gersten and Rabbi Avi Shane

bsy

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 7:58 am
Bais yisrael has boys who will go to college but it's a solid yeshiva

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 8:37 am
Another option in Baltimore is Ohr Hatorah aka Hoffman's. Bochurim of all ages, great rabbeim, ability to learn with kollel yungerleit as well.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 8:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Another option in Baltimore is Ohr Hatorah aka Hoffman's. Bochurim of all ages, great rabbeim, ability to learn with kollel yungerleit as well.

I was about to suggest this yeshiva too. I meet boys from there regularly and it sounds like it might be a good option for your son OP

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There are a couple avreichim from Ner Yisroel starting a yeshiva next year in Baltimore geared toward boys that would otherwise be going to Israel the year after 12th. Much smaller than Ner Yisroel and might be worth it to check into.

Thanks. Do you have any contact information?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:25 am
How about Toras Moshe in Israel? It's extremely warm and nurturing, but with boys from a more similar background to DS than a place like Hakotel.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:41 am
For the Yeshivas in Israel the admissions process starts around Chanukah time of 12th grade. Generally speaking at this point it is too late to get into "First Year" Yeshivas in Israel.

For most Yeshivas in the US the process starts Pesach/Shavous time.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:58 am
Tomo? Bais? Senters? TJ?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 3:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Do you have any contact information?

I'm going to try to get this for you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:00 pm
OP, please PM me. I have a phone number for you.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:26 pm
I could be off the mark, but how about Yeshiva of Greater Washington? Really nice put of towny yeshiva, different types

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:35 pm
Quote:

We actually spoke to them at length. They are planning to open if they get enough boys. They plan on giving a high level shiur, like any mainstream beis medresh. Not the type of boys who would go to Israel right after 12th. More the type that would go after 3rd year beis medresh. The only difference is that it's in Baltimore which is an out of town/more open minded community.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics