Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Leaving job - gift for boss?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:38 pm
My husband is leaving his job and moving on. Does he give his boss (who was great overall) a gift? If so, what kind of gift does one give a multimillionaire? He is bringing a candy/nut platter for everyone on his last day... (it's a small office).

amother
Brass

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:52 pm
If anyone is giving a gift it should be his boss for his service.

Reality

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:57 pm
It is not appropriate to give his boss a gift.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 11:58 pm
I once left a job and got my boss a book and I wrote a small inscription but I knew that he liked a certain topic and that he liked books that were autographed by the person giving the gift. It is a very nice gesture of hakaras hatov. My boss did get me a gift card as well which was very much appreciated.

If it's a frum boss you can do a sefer, a Jewish biography, a pushka, a birchas haoesek or something artistic for the desk.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:12 am
Thank you everyone, I was thinking we need to give something but couldn't figure out what, good to know that we don't.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 3:41 am
I have had emplohees leave, some gave gifts and some didn't, I have no expectations either way. But K can't describe how toiched I was when good employees fot me a gift when they left. Didn't matter what the gift was, just to know they appreciated me as a good boss. Even just some chocolates they know I like or a good boss mug. Doesn't have to be something expensive. But if you don't want to gove a gift, have your husband give his boss a handwritten note, I have saved every note I got from employees who have left for more than a decade, they mean so much to me.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 4:25 am
amother Maple wrote:
I have had emplohees leave, some gave gifts and some didn't, I have no expectations either way. But K can't describe how toiched I was when good employees fot me a gift when they left. Didn't matter what the gift was, just to know they appreciated me as a good boss. Even just some chocolates they know I like or a good boss mug. Doesn't have to be something expensive. But if you don't want to gove a gift, have your husband give his boss a handwritten note, I have saved every note I got from employees who have left for more than a decade, they mean so much to me.

Do you give gifts to employees who leave?

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 5:50 am
Dh did chocolates, maybe a wine too.
He was appreciative of the guy who took him straight out of kollel and taught him some tricks of the trade.
He had no earning potential there so he moved on to another local business in the field. But he learnt a lot there, business ethics and he wanted to part ways on good terms.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:17 am
I bought my boss a Mont Blanc pen and had it engraved (thank you, Mr Klein). He really appreciated it.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:32 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
I bought my boss a Mont Blanc pen and had it engraved (thank you, Mr Klein). He really appreciated it.

Hope he paid you really well

amother
Maple

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:33 am
amother Tan wrote:
Do you give gifts to employees who leave?

In the past when the company was small we would collect money for a collective gift for employees who had been at rhe company for a few years before they left. But the company has grown and turnover is high. So now we throw them a goodbye party with a cake and the managers/bosses speak.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:37 am
amother Maple wrote:
In the past when the company was small we would collect money for a collective gift for employees who had been at rhe company for a few years before they left. But the company has grown and turnover is high. So now we throw them a goodbye party with a cake and the managers/bosses speak.

So you expect something personal while you just throw a party for employees? You should be thanking them!

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:41 am
Only if you have a specific reason to be grateful to your boss, like if they trained you from zero or brought you a very long way in your career development. Otherwise no

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 6:42 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
So you expect something personal while you just throw a party for employees? You should be thanking them!

She never said she expected it

amother
Maple

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 9:52 am
amother NeonPink wrote:

We are on the same page. I absolutely don't expect anything at all - as I said in my original post above. And the party is to thank them, we always give a speech complimenting them and thanking them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics