Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Starting school early
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 8:47 am
I’m hearing a lot about the “new” schedule with school starting early ( Lakewood has been doing it for years) and I d like to propose an idea-

We should have a partial school day with just Hebrew subjects mainly focusing on preparation for yamim tovim.

Like this the girls ease into their schedules and still have time to enjoy the nice weather ( swimming etc) whorl learning what they need to for Elul/ Tishri ( they dont need to learn history now )

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 8:57 am
This doesn't really work for the working parents, but nobody considers them. My boss will be ok with me working a half day because torah umesorah likes the idea? And don't say schools aren't babysitters...if you want me to pay full tuition then I need to be able to work. If I'm paying a babysitter half the time there goes the tuition money.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:19 am
I'm in Flatbush, send to yeshivish schools.

Honestly the whole "starting early" thing is hype. They're really not starting that much earlier than usual.

Boys will start tues before labor day and girls thurs before labor day.

In the past, the boys started approx thurs before labor day and the girls a day or two after.

I"m not sure why TU made such a big fuss about starting 3 days earlier. And I'm sure that all those extra days are just gonna be half days anyway. So in the long run it's not really accomplishing much.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:23 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
I'm in Flatbush, send to yeshivish schools.

Honestly the whole "starting early" thing is hype. They're really not starting that much earlier than usual.

Boys will start tues before labor day and girls thurs before labor day.

In the past, the boys started approx thurs before labor day and the girls a day or two after.

I"m not sure why TU made such a big fuss about starting 3 days earlier. And I'm sure that all those extra days are just gonna be half days anyway. So in the long run it's not really accomplishing much.

If you look at their proposal in a few years they want school to end June 15 and start Aug 15. I think that's ridiculous. People who work in non yeshiva schools will have nothing to do with their kids for the last two weeks of June. And then everyone has to end their summer early.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:29 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
If you look at their proposal in a few years they want school to end June 15 and start Aug 15. I think that's ridiculous. People who work in non yeshiva schools will have nothing to do with their kids for the last two weeks of June. And then everyone has to end their summer early.

I’m pretty sure the camps will change their dates too. So it won’t rlly b any different than it is now

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:30 am
amother Slateblue wrote:

Dd is finishing on the 15th this year

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:31 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
I’m pretty sure the camps will change their dates too. So it won’t rlly b any different than it is now

It will be different for people who work in non yeshiva schools. Let's say people go upstate but the mom is still working...her little kids will now be stuck home with a babysitter that she now has to pay for, whether daycamp upstate started or not.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:37 am
I live in the five towns and my boys are starting the last week of August. The Torah Umesorah headline was way over hyped. Maybe the brooklyn schools are starting one day before here. The real issue is the two\three weeks of time when day camp ends before school starts. Day camp has to go longer, school has to start earlier or at the very least cener day camp properly between school and camp - dont give half a week off before camp starts and then 2.5 weeks after.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 9:38 am
Any schedule will cause difficulties with some jobs. The question is, what proportion of their student body has parents working in non-yeshvish schools? If (as I suspect) it's a very small proportion, they aren't going g to be the priority when planning the schedule - especially of the camps change their schedule to match.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:00 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
It will be different for people who work in non yeshiva schools. Let's say people go upstate but the mom is still working...her little kids will now be stuck home with a babysitter that she now has to pay for, whether daycamp upstate started or not.

While I do feel for those parents, I imagine it's a tiny tiny percentage of parents who work in non-yeshiva schools. If a parent takes a job like that, then there are schedule conflicts throughout the year and they need to be prepared to deal with that.

I think the bigger issue is regents in NY. They usually go past June 15.

Also, while day camps can easily adjust their start/end dates, sleepaway camps can't because they need to take into account the kids from OOT. So not sure how that would work out. Girls sleepaway camps usually go past August 15.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:02 am
amother Ruby wrote:
I live in the five towns and my boys are starting the last week of August. The Torah Umesorah headline was way over hyped. Maybe the brooklyn schools are starting one day before here. The real issue is the two\three weeks of time when day camp ends before school starts. Day camp has to go longer, school has to start earlier or at the very least cener day camp properly between school and camp - dont give half a week off before camp starts and then 2.5 weeks after.

This.

The problem isn't so much the start/end dates because the schools and day camps can coordinate that to both start earlier and end earlier.

The problem is the huge blocks of time in between school-camp and camp-school. If TU cares so much about education they shouldn't be allowing that to happen

keym

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:08 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
This.

The problem isn't so much the start/end dates because the schools and day camps can coordinate that to both start earlier and end earlier.

The problem is the huge blocks of time in between school-camp and camp-school. If TU cares so much about education they shouldn't be allowing that to happen

Truthfully, I don't know how that's really avoidable.
Camps are housed in schools.
Which means after school, they need a few days (half a week) to clean up and lock up teachers stuff and set up the camp.
And after camp, they need 1 1/2-2 weeks for repairs and set-up. The deep cleaning, floor scraping and waxing, replastering and painting, repaving the parking lot, rearranging of classrooms, plus classroom decorating and bulletin boards.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:27 am
Torah Umesorah has no authority over schools.... it's not a matter of "allowing" or "not allowing."
It's a for profit organization at this point, I think, even if technically they are officially a non profit organization. They were relevant back in the day when they helped day schools get founded.
Not sure what they do now? Sell curriculum? Offer training and workshops (for a fee)?
I guess they're trying to stay relevant by putting out official statements?

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:27 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
While I do feel for those parents, I imagine it's a tiny tiny percentage of parents who work in non-yeshiva schools. If a parent takes a job like that, then there are schedule conflicts throughout the year and they need to be prepared to deal with that.

I think the bigger issue is regents in NY. They usually go past June 15.

Also, while day camps can easily adjust their start/end dates, sleepaway camps can't because they need to take into account the kids from OOT. So not sure how that would work out. Girls sleepaway camps usually go past August 15.

Huh? Most of the parent body in all jewish day schools work in yeshiva day schools? I highly doubt that. How would that even be possible? 🤔

mha3484

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:31 am
keym wrote:
Truthfully, I don't know how that's really avoidable.
Camps are housed in schools.
Which means after school, they need a few days (half a week) to clean up and lock up teachers stuff and set up the camp.
And after camp, they need 1 1/2-2 weeks for repairs and set-up. The deep cleaning, floor scraping and waxing, replastering and painting, repaving the parking lot, rearranging of classrooms, plus classroom decorating and bulletin boards.

Also where I live the boy camps are heavily staffed by rebbeim which most parents see as a good thing. Those teachers after camp ends get a few days to themselves before they start teacher meetings and other prep for the school year. They are not in vacation mode for the full time that camp ends and school starts. The girl camps that have more teenager counselors go almost another week then my boys.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:40 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
Huh? Most of the parent body in all jewish day schools work in yeshiva day schools? I highly doubt that. How would that even be possible? 🤔

No that's not what I meant. Amother slateblue said the dates are an issue specifically for "parents who work in non yeshiva schools", meaning public schools. Public school teachers are a small percentage of the parent body.

The rest of the parent body either works in yeshiva schools so the dates aren't an issue for them cuz they're on the same schedule as their kids

Or they work in offices/healthcare etc in which case they work year round so they probably don't go upstate. Or of they do go upstate (and for example work remotely) why should it be an issue for them to start/ end earlier

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:49 am
amother Lightgray wrote:

No, most of the parent body have jobs unrelated to education.

Of those who do work in schools, the vast majority work in yeshiva type schools. The proportion of those who work in non yeshiva schools is low, even taken as a proportion of those who work in education. When taken as a proportion of the entire parent body, it is tiny.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:52 am
Elfrida wrote:
No, most of the parent body have jobs unrelated to education.

Of those who do work in schools, the vast majority work in yeshiva type schools. The proportion of those who work in non yeshiva schools is low, even taken as a proportion of those who work in education. When taken as a proportion of the entire parent body, it is tiny.

I know plenty of people who work in MO schools or public schools. A lot of therapists don't work in the yeshiva schools because yeshivas aren't always so welcoming to therapists.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:05 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I know plenty of people who work in MO schools or public schools. A lot of therapists don't work in the yeshiva schools because yeshivas aren't always so welcoming to therapists.

I don't think it's such an issue for parents who work in MO schools. MO schools usually end the same time in June as yeshiva schools and sometimes even earlier. My MIL teaches in a very MO school and was always on basically the same schedule as her kids in yeshivish schools.

As far as therapists, I'm actually a therapist myself, and the vast majority of therapists I know do work in yeshiva schools. Only a handful work in public or charter schools, in which case they are never on the same schedule as their kids and are used to dealing with schedule conflicts

It"s not really an issue if schools start/end earlier as long as day camps also start and end earlier.
I just wonder how they're gonna work out the regent situation

nylon

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:29 am
I agree, I really don't think they thought through the Regents situation. NYS has a late finish, always has, and schools are tied to it because NYS gives their exams at the end of the year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics