Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you don't wear stockings

Do you wear open toe sandals?
Yes  
 35%  [ 43 ]
No  
 64%  [ 77 ]
Total Votes : 120

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:09 pm
If you don't cover your legs/feet in the summer do you wear open toe sandals?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:14 pm
I will say I think it's AWFULLY STRANGE to wear open toe shoes/sandals with stockings. Like, it defeats the purpose. Sandals are supposed to keep your feet airy and cool. Not happening when their covered in stockings. Also weird to see the seam by the toe...

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:16 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I will say I think it's AWFULLY STRANGE to wear open toe shoes/sandals with stockings. Like, it defeats the purpose. Sandals are supposed to keep your feet airy and cool. Not happening when their covered in stockings. Also weird to see the seam by the toe...

I agree. Which is why I'm asking only about without stockings.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:22 pm
Yes, I wear open toe sandals as soon as the eain stops here in israel. I dont own even one pair of stockings.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 11:31 pm
I wear open sandals and I do not wear them with stockings.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 1:14 am
I didn't answer the poll. I don't wear stockings in the summer unless I'm going to shul or a simcha. I would wear open toe shoes or sandals and did for many years but now I have a terrible fungal infection and my toes look horrible so I haven't worn any shoe where my toes are visible for quite some time. I do miss the airy feeling though. I try to find shoes that are open on the sides more or that have holes to give me some air flow.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 1:45 am
Many Women have worn hose with open toed shoes forever whether frum not frum etc
Would hardly call it “strange”

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 3:02 am

I always wear knee highs (and long skirts) and in the summer I wear sandals almost every day. It is not remotely the same as wearing closed shoes. My feet (and my whole body) are much more comfortable with the airy and cool sandals, stocking or not. And honestly, I don't care if someone else doesn't like the look.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 3:58 am
I cover my legs only partially (down to mid calf) and Iaways cover my feet, so I dont wear sandals or anything open toe or with cutouts unless I have socks or stockings on

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 4:31 am

I buy ones that don't have the extra reinforcement and I tuck the seam under my toes so it's not visible.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:16 pm
Wow big difference in the poll. It seems like there are many who don't have the minhag to cover their legs but still cover their feet/toes with shoes.

I recently let go of the minhag of wearing stockings for health reasons. (With my Ravs approval) But I can't decide if wearing open toe sandals would be taking it too far. It would make a big difference for my health stuff to let my toes breathe, but I really don't want to be judged poorly. I think I may already receive some judgements for not wearing stockings anymore.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:21 pm
I checked I don't wear open toe shoes, but it's not a minhag. I just don't like how most of them feel.

Aurora

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:54 pm
I don't wear stockings and I like closed toed shoes so I don't stub my toes.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:06 pm
Nowadays the only women I see with stockings and open toed sandals under the age of 65 are chabad.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:31 pm
I personally wouldnt wear opentoe sandals, not even at home because I hate the look of my toes or anyone elses for that matter. But as far as I know there is no halacha to cover the actual foot. Only the leg and ankle need to be covered. So you could walk around barefoot when wearing a long skirt and it wouldnt be considered against halacha. Anyways, why dont you ask your lor?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:48 pm
amother Orange wrote:
I personally wouldnt wear opentoe sandals, not even at home because I hate the look of my toes or anyone elses for that matter. But as far as I know there is no halacha to cover the actual foot. Only the leg and ankle need to be covered. So you could walk around barefoot when wearing a long skirt and it wouldnt be considered against halacha. Anyways, why dont you ask your lor?

I don't think this is a halachic thing. I already spoke to him about not wearing stockings. I think it's a community norm thing. I think my original question needed to be do you not wear open toe sandals because of tznius/community reasons.. my poll is missing the why.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:51 pm
Slightly off topic, about the judgement: I also stopped wearing stockings a few years ago. I use sally hansen spray for legs to even out the skin, cover bites and scratches, and if you’re not standing close, it looks like stockings!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:19 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
Slightly off topic, about the judgement: I also stopped wearing stockings a few years ago. I use sally hansen spray for legs to even out the skin, cover bites and scratches, and if you’re not standing close, it looks like stockings!

I wouldn't be able to use it because of my health condition, but out of curiosity, doesn't it get on your clothing? Like if you'd wear with a light color skirt would it stain your skirt?

essie14

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 2:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yes, I wear open toe sandals as soon as the eain stops here in israel. I dont own even one pair of stockings.

Same!

sequoia

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 3:51 am
Aurora wrote:
I don't wear stockings and I like closed toed shoes so I don't stub my toes.

I always wear socks and closed shoes for comfort, but I don’t own any “stockings”.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics