Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Strangers, please don't talk to kids!!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:29 pm
While we teach our kids to not talk to strangers, adults should know to not talk to random kids! Never ask kids for directions or help for a non life threatening situation!
In the past 3 days alone, an adult came over to my kids to ask for directions, (I went to tell him that he shouldn't ask kids, always an adult) and an adult came over to my daughter while she was waiting for the bus, to admire and ask her about a project she was holding. My daughter kept on turning away but she didn't let up! I was by the window watching and bh her bus came right when I wanted to yell at the woman to leave her alone.
Adults please, let's not talk to kids! Even if we're both frum jews and you feel heimish.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:30 pm
They might have less social skills than you think. Be dklz and keep training your kids. Good job!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:38 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
They might have less social skills than you think. Be dklz and keep training your kids. Good job!

I don't think so, because I see it alot in the community. It seems like people think that just because they're frum jews, they're not considered a stranger.

dankbar

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:40 pm
Adults asking kids for directions are usually creeps who want the kids to go with them to "show" them where to go

amother
Latte

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't think so, because I see it alot in the community. It seems like people think that just because they're frum jews, they're not considered a stranger.

I agree with you.
On the same note, how do parents allow their young 13-14-15 year old sons take hitches with any stranger just because they look frum.
I can’t for the life of me understand the concept of hitches and how parents are comfortable with it.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:47 pm
Did the woman who spoke to your dd at the bus stop also have a dc on the bus?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:54 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Did the woman who spoke to your dd at the bus stop also have a dc on the bus?

No, she was just walking by.

Genius

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:54 pm
amother Latte wrote:
I agree with you.
On the same note, how do parents allow their young 13-14-15 year old sons take hitches with any stranger just because they look frum.
I can’t for the life of me understand the concept of hitches and how parents are comfortable with it.

The fact that these boys hitch rides doesn’t mean that the parents allow it. Have you met a 13-14-15 year old?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:55 pm
dankbar wrote:
Adults asking kids for directions are usually creeps who want the kids to go with them to "show" them where to go

There's someone on my block that does a service at home. People come and often ask children playing outside where they live. I can't stand it, there are always adults around.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:57 pm
Genius wrote:
The fact that these boys hitch rides doesn’t mean that the parents allow it. Have you met a 13-14-15 year old?

Disagree.
It’s their official mode of transportation in monsey.
The parents definitely know and are comfortable with it.
I spoke about it irl.
They are naive and trusting.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Disagree.
I spoke about it irl.

I’m from monsey and preach to my kids not to take hitches but do I know if they taka listen nopea

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
There's someone on my block that does a service at home. People come and often ask children playing outside where they live. I can't stand it, there are always adults around.

I usually ask first person or child I see when looking for a specific apartment never thought twice about not asking a child

amother
Heather

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:01 pm
What about adults talking to kids in the park that are playing next to your kids?

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:06 pm
Eh - I don't think I've ever told my kids not to talk to strangers. (not to go with strangers, give personal information to strangers, take food from strangers... that I've taught).

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

Really nothing wrong with asking a child to point to which house/door is a particular neighbor’s.
If the person G-d forbid is a creep, then the problem is that they’re a creep; not that someone asked which door is a specific neighbor’s.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:23 pm
OP I agree with you! Today I was at an event in a shul as I was walking out there were men leaving from the shul, they started waving to my toddler and asking him his name...I guess its better that I was standing right there, but you're a stranger, why would I teach my kid to say hello to you

amother
Jean

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:26 pm
Genius wrote:

My 15 year old boy start using the train to get to yeshivah, at first I was nervous for my little boy…until I realized he’s 6’2” and probably stronger than most people on that train….
I gotta let him grow up…

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:31 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
OP I agree with you! Today I was at an event in a shul as I was walking out there were men leaving from the shul, they started waving to my toddler and asking him his name...I guess its better that I was standing right there, but you're a stranger, why would I teach my kid to say hello to you

I don't mind 'strangers' talking to my toddlers or my toddlers talking to strangers. Their safety is completely my responsibility at this age. Why would I teach my kid not to say hello? Friendliness is good. When they get older we can talk about trusting your gut and not taking rides with friends or strangers without clearing it.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:48 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I don't mind 'strangers' talking to my toddlers or my toddlers talking to strangers. Their safety is completely my responsibility at this age. Why would I teach my kid not to say hello? Friendliness is good. When they get older we can talk about trusting your gut and not taking rides with friends or strangers without clearing it.

Neither do I , the adorable grandmothers saying hi to my toddler or my toddler waving to them when they smile it makes their day.

GLUE

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Disagree.
I spoke about it irl.

I am in Lakewood all my boys are about a 15 minute walk to my little guys school.
On Friday they get out at about 12:00 I can only get to little guy at about 12:30 any boy who wants a ride walks to his school.
One boy tells me he would rather walk. it's over an hour walk home yet he gets home by 12:30(my daughter who is home tells me if I ask) either he is a very fast walker or....

The parents know but are they all comfortable with it?
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics