Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How long to your clothing last these days

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:22 pm
I am 40. When I was in my 20s my clothes lasted for at least a decade. I'd have summer stuff and winter stuff and just rotate my closet each season. I rarely - and I mean really rarely bought myself stuff. I noticed lately - at least the past 4 -5 years that my stuff just doesn't last. I wear for a maybe two seasons and they are done. I need a whole new wadrobe. Why is that? Are stuff junkier these days than 20 years ago? Are the washing machines junky? Is it that I sweat less when I was younger.

How often do you by yourself stuff - I mean like 3-4 tops and 3-4 skirts.

same with tights - the nude tights I would have for decades - literally! why do I need to buy new ones every spring?

They turn black and dirty and don't get clean in the wash - what am I doing wrong? I am not a slob for reference Smile

LovesHashem

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 1:29 pm
Things aren't made as well.

amother
Clear

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:32 pm
It's the clothes. They're garbage, even the more expensive clothes. I keep thinking about trying American made clothes, maybe they'll last better?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am 40. When I was in my 20s my clothes lasted for at least a decade. I'd have summer stuff and winter stuff and just rotate my closet each season. I rarely - and I mean really rarely bought myself stuff. I noticed lately - at least the past 4 -5 years that my stuff just doesn't last. I wear for a maybe two seasons and they are done. I need a whole new wadrobe. Why is that? Are stuff junkier these days than 20 years ago? Are the washing machines junky? Is it that I sweat less when I was younger.

How often do you by yourself stuff - I mean like 3-4 tops and 3-4 skirts.

same with tights - the nude tights I would have for decades - literally! why do I need to buy new ones every spring?

They turn black and dirty and don't get clean in the wash - what am I doing wrong? I am not a slob for reference Smile

Some of my cheaper things have lasted for ages. I have a favorite top that I got in Wal-Mart for my son’s Bris. Said son is 16 now and the top is still going strong! LOL

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:42 pm
They last maybe a year, if I'm lucky. And even today walmart clothes last longer than expensive frum brands.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:46 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Some of my cheaper things have lasted for ages. I have a favorite top that I got in Wal-Mart for my son’s Bris. Said son is 16 now and the top is still going strong! LOL

That probably wouldn't happen with a new top you buy now at Walmart. Hence this thread.

lucky14

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:23 am
I feel like the majority of my clothing starts to pill after like 5 washes. I agree about the quality. Things from the same stores even like 6 years ago would have lasted much longer.

Last edited by lucky14 on Sun, May 21 2023, 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Alwaysmiling

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:26 am
I actually got to like the cheap stuff. That is how I get to buy new stuff every season!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 2:57 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
That probably wouldn't happen with a new top you buy now at Walmart. Hence this thread.

Maybe. We will see. I have a George dress I just wore yesterday that I realized was purchased in 2015 and also still going strong. If there is a deterioration in clothing quality, it must be more recent than that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:53 am
And what about nude tights. What do you do when they start getting black - I am getting so frustrated that new pairs don't get clean. What am I doing wrong?

Gittu

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 1:07 pm
I just love SHEIN I buy every season a cute and trendy wardrobe for the price of 1 dress in the frum stores...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 2:19 pm
It’s so insane how things just don’t last today. I find I have to buy new clothes every year bc they just look so bad after a season. I started buying from SHEIN, target, Zara and hm type stores it doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of anyways have to buy new all the time.
As a side thing my washing machine broke and the repair man said it pays to fix instead of buying new even tho it was close to the same price bc the new machines can’t handle the amount of loads a frum family does on a weekly basis. He said it’s the same with all appliances..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics