Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Are you going away for Shavuos?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:47 pm
I feel like we’re the only ones not going anywhere. Almost all of my friends and neighbors will be leaving Brooklyn for the long weekend. It’s so hard for me because I can use the getaway unfortunately we don’t have the means to rent a house or go to a program and we don’t have family we can go to. I’m wondering if I’m an anomaly. Are you going away? Do you know many people going? Are you staying? Do you n ow many people staying?

ysydmom

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:47 pm
I am home, my neighbors and friends are also home.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:48 pm
I'm staying home by choice and so are my friends
I don't know anyone going to programs

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:49 pm
I’m home. I always am

happy chick

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:51 pm
Home sweet home. As always.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:51 pm
We are always home. For me it's a sign of maturity. I laugh at the people who always go away. How long are they going to run to mommy before they can handle being home for yom tov.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:52 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
I'm staying home by choice and so are my friends
I don't know anyone going to programs

She’s probably not talking about programs. People who own their bungalows often go for shavuos
I’m in Jackson and I and most of my neighbors are home. Here or there a couple have gone to parents, the country, or Israel, but not generally

amother
Watermelon

It must be a cultural thing but in Lakewood this is really not a thing. Shavuos is a time for Kabbalas Hatorah and shavuos is centered on kehilla, chavrusas, Shul/yeshiva and Rov. Even families who go away pesach and sukkos will stay home shavuos so DH can learn in his yeshiva or shul . People go away for meals but it’s relatively rare to go to an unfamiliar shul or beis Medrash for the whole yom tov.

Maybe a few go away to their bungalows but most really wouldn’t consider a bare minyan of men in the bungalow shul to be in the spirit of the yom tov. Not to mention that this shavuos is going to be in the upper 30s/ lower 40s at night and 50s/60s during the day in the mountains. Frigid!

It’s kind of like going away for Yom Kippur. It doesn’t fit.

I guess those that don’t have a place in a kehilla or uncomfortable with the learning focus will want to run away but I am not jealous of them in any way.

hodeez

Home as always, going away is a tzarah

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:53 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
We are always home. For me it's a sign of maturity. I laugh at the people who always go away. How long are they going to run to mommy before they can handle being home for yom tov.

Laugh??? Let me tell you something- some people go to their parents for their parents sake, not because it’s easier! What an odd and elitist response

doodlesmom

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:55 pm
I’m staying home by choice…the next few weeks after shavuos are being hectic with simchas…bh….and I don’t need that change.
Sometimes I do feel the need for a change, and look to go away for Shavuos.

Wherever you are, make Yom Tov beautiful.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:56 pm
My in laws have a summer home and are going there for yt. We’re staying home as dh likes to be with his rav.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 10:57 pm
I'm home in Brooklyn! A few neighbors go away but there are still some left! Focus on making Yom tov enjoyable for your family instead of feeling bad that you are home.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:00 pm
I’m so happy I posted here because I’ve realized many of the people that are going away are running from something. Didn’t think about it like that. Still curious how many are going away.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:04 pm
Don’t know anyone going away.. must be community dependent.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel like we’re the only ones not going anywhere. Almost all of my friends and neighbors will be leaving Brooklyn for the long weekend. It’s so hard for me because I can use the getaway unfortunately we don’t have the means to rent a house or go to a program and we don’t have family we can go to. I’m wondering if I’m an anomaly. Are you going away? Do you know many people going? Are you staying? Do you n ow many people staying?

No, my husband wants to learn in his Yeshiva with his rebbi. I don't know many people who go away. My mom, who is alone now since my father passed away, will go to one of my sisters, but I don’t think that counts. I know very few couples or families who go away.

amother
Aster

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:05 pm
I have no idea what my neighbors are doing but we like to walk out shavous after the meals and the streets are always packed. Brooklyn. Some years we get invited to family but my husband wants to stay next to his rebbi on shavous so we stay home.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'm in Brooklyn. I'm home. No guests. Oh well same as always. Glad it's just a long shabbos.

NechaMom

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:24 pm
Home with guest as usual.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 11:24 pm
Which communities have programs for Shavuos? MO and never heard of Shavuos programs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries