Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Child number 3 taking so long

westchestermom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:27 pm
My third child is going to be four years old in September. She's been using the potty or toilet to pee when she feels like it for over a year. She often requests diapers when she's tired and changes her own pee diapers but doesn't want to be in underwear and have to stop playing to go potty. We didn't push her because she had a hard time not being the baby anymore as I have an almost six month old now. It's just getting really gross that she will hide to poop and never tell us. She will sleep in it overnight, lying that she's clean and hiding under blankets. It's hurting her skin and stinking up the furniture. I tried bribing with messy Play-Doh kits and toys she wants, she just really doesn't want to be poop trained. She already has big girl underwear. If I refuse diapers she'll just find one herself and or hold the poop. Pediatrician says it's normal under age five. I get really grossed out by poop on the couch. What would you do?

amother
Dill

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:35 pm
Does she need to be trained? If not, put her back in diapers. She doesn't sound ready. I do know my husband who has adhd and asd was resistant to toilet training and my mother in law put him in cloth diapers and forced him to clean them. But he is unusual. Most kids who are struggling at this age there is a reason. Forcing a kid to use the toilet is a bad idea but showing them that it's not scary and necessary is important. Does this child have other delays or sensory issues?

westchestermom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:39 pm
No delays or sensory issues. She's exceptionally bright and sneaky, goes to great lengths to try and harm the baby. I think she's upset about not being the baby anymore.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:41 pm
About sleeping overnight, can you just check her before putting her to sleep? Also I would keep diapers out of reach.

westchestermom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:43 pm
My husband says he checks her before she falls asleep but she is very good at hiding when she does it and afterwards.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:49 pm
westchestermom wrote:
My husband says he checks her before she falls asleep but she is very good at hiding when she does it and afterwards.
She'll go after you put her to sleep? Then check her an hour or 2 after she falls asleep.

westchestermom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 6:50 pm
I go to bed at 8 pm and she's up with my husband for hours. I leave for work at 530 so I can't do anything about what happens at night.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 7:53 pm
westchestermom wrote:
I go to bed at 8 pm and she's up with my husband for hours. I leave for work at 530 so I can't do anything about what happens at night.
Why is she up for hours past 8pm?? Seems to be a lot more going on here.

westchestermom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:08 pm
She's not in school yet so she likes to sleep in. Each time I give birth my husband sleeps with the next youngest and he's a night owl so they are both up late. It makes mornings easier as she sleeps through getting the older ones out the door.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training