Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Communication delay UPDATE
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 9:59 am
Should I be concerned if my 13 mo doesn't wave bye-bye yet or shake her head for no?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:01 am
No
That’s still so young dw she will get there

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Should I be concerned if my 13 mo doesn't wave bye-bye yet or shake her head for no?

It doesn't hurt to run it by the pediatrician next time your there. Are you noticing any other delays? Does she understand when you talk to her? Does she respond to her name?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:04 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
It doesn't hurt to run it by the pediatrician next time your there. Are you noticing any other delays? Does she understand when you talk to her? Does she respond to her name?

She doesn't seem to understand speech or respond to her name.

I asked my pediatrician at my last visit (12 months) and he thought it was probably OK but why not call EI because the process takes time.

I held off for a month but now I'm thinking I should maybe call them..

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:06 am
If she literally understands nothing you say, that's slightly concerning. At that age there should be at least some receptive language

amother
OP

She does lift her arms to show me she wants to get picked up.. trying to think if she does any other communication

She's so smart and I watch her problem solve all day. She doesn't have any issues with hearing as far as I can tell. And she babbles a ton

amother
Butterscotch

amother OP wrote:
She doesn't seem to understand speech or respond to her name.

I asked my pediatrician at my last visit (12 months) and he thought it was probably OK but why not call EI because the process takes time.

I held off for a month but now I'm thinking I should maybe call them..

I'd definitely call for an evaluation. Most babies do those things before they're a year old.
Did she get her hearing tested?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:07 am
I'd definitely call for an evaluation. Most babies do those things before they're a year old.
Did she get her hearing tested?

At birth but not since then. She does respond to noises behind her etc. so I don't think she has any hearing problems

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:08 am
amother Oleander wrote:
If she literally understands nothing you say, that's slightly concerning. At that age there should be at least some receptive language

Thanks. Do you think she could get approved for services if she's doing really well with her other skills fine motor, gross motor etc?

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Do you think she could get approved for services if she's doing really well with her other skills fine motor, gross motor etc?

Yes of course

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:10 am
amother OP wrote:

Not responding to the name or understanding some speech at that age, is a real biggie and needs an evaluation. Even if she's doing well in other areas.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:10 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Yes of course

Thank you.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:12 am
OP, how is her eye contact?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:13 am
I talk to her tons and read her tons of books.. we play together..

This is my first and I feel like I messed up somehow even though I try so hard Sad

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:13 am
OP, how is her eye contact?

She has good eye contact

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:14 am
amother OP wrote:
I talk to her tons and read her tons of books.. we play together..

This is my first and I feel like I messed up somehow even though I try so hard Sad

Please don't feel bad!! You didn't mess up! This has nothing to do with you!!! Many babies need different types of services, it doesn't mean that the parents messed up! It's normal.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:21 am
Please don't feel bad!! You didn't mess up! This has nothing to do with you!!! Many babies need different types of services, it doesn't mean that the parents messed up! It's normal.

Thank you for the support

Genius

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:24 am
Even if you evaluate you don’t have to worry yet. You seem like a great mom! Your baby also sounds ok.
They say early intervention is always best. So in case there really is a problem you’re smart for looking into it immediately.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:37 am
Genius wrote:
Even if you evaluate you don’t have to worry yet. You seem like a great mom! Your baby also sounds ok.
They say early intervention is always best. So in case there really is a problem you’re smart for looking into it immediately.

Thank you!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 9:52 pm
I know I'm the odd one out here, but I think this 'early intervention is best' is way overrated.

Every kid develops at their own pace and there's no need to push them to go faster.

Of course, if things are really concerning then it makes sense to get evaluated. But slightly delayed? No.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics