Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
HOW do YOU make an AWESOME Cholent
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:56 am
Sometimes my cholent is good, once in a while its delicious but generally speaking it is meh.
Like taupe colored hot slop.

I NEVE write down what I do so I have no idea what makes it tasty and what makes it just a brown steamy bubbling blob.

I am looking for that yummy kiddush cholent flavor and texture. You kno what I mean? The kind of cholent that has an aroma that tickles your nostrils as you enter your shul and you think "Maybe I will have a little cholent at kiddush today???"

I need measurements.
How much water?
How many beans?
hat typeof beans?
What spices and how much etc.

You would think after making cholent literally 1000's of time I would have figured it out but at this point I am willing to humble myself and ask for help.

Two of my kids will be home for Shavuos and I really want to make an amazing cholent. Feel free to post recipes or links here of DM me.
THANKS!!!

mha3484

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:03 am
I find I have to measure to get a good cholent. I made Jamie Gellars recipe for a long time and then when I got comfortable with it I made my own tweaks but I found taking the time to measure the barley, the water etc makes a difference. I dont use beans, I sometimes play around with the spices and I use some bbq sauce at the most 1/4 of a cup it adds a good flavor without being too tomatoey which I dont like either.

https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....lent/

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:16 am
One thing that I’ve done to get the unbelievable flavor is- I sautéed lots of onions. Adding kishka adds a lot of flavor. I also use onion soup mix and it really does something. I don’t particularly enjoy eating flanken but it does something magical to the taste of the Chulent.

Recently I started making this Chulent and it’s really good.
I bake it in the oven for a few hours on Friday. I need to add water a few times because it cooks fast. Right before shabbos I transfer the Chulent to the crockpot and add meat and kishka. I stopped using chulent beans and only use white/navy beans for the chulent. It’s much lighter to eat.
It’s really a good recipe that is quite simple to make.

https://betweencarpools.com/pa.....oven/

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:21 am
Yes. Measurements are the magic to making it good. Measure. Record. Adjust weekly. Like playing hot & cold game until you get it just right.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:51 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
One thing that I’ve done to get the unbelievable flavor is- I sautéed lots of onions. Adding kishka adds a lot of flavor. I also use onion soup mix and it really does something. I don’t particularly enjoy eating flanken but it does something magical to the taste of the Chulent.

I bake it in the oven for a few hours on Friday. I need to add water a few times because it cooks fast. Right before shabbos I transfer the Chulent to the crockpot and add meat and kishka. I stopped using chulent beans and only use white/navy beans for the chulent. It’s much lighter to eat.

What is chulent beans?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:55 am
amother Alyssum wrote:

This looks really good. I’m allergic to barley so typically use short grain brown rice. Think it would work in this recipe?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:55 am
OP, there is no magic one only formula.
Every community has their own style.
I use white navy beans onions fresh garlic salt pepper sweet paprika and one table spoon of honey.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:59 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What is chulent beans?

https://www.koshervillage.com/.....98504

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 12:00 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
This looks really good. I’m allergic to barley so typically use short grain brown rice. Think it would work in this recipe?

Most probably fine

agreer

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 12:55 pm
Do you know what makes cholent taste good, but really good?

Fatty meat. There is something umami and savory that good, soft, fatty meat can do that nothing else can.

Fat = flavor.

chayarg

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 2:13 pm
By letting my husband do it and asking no questions

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 2:38 pm
chayarg wrote:
By letting my husband do it and asking no questions

Me too, best cholent!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 2:45 pm
Meat (stew meat, or kolichel)
Onions
Beans (soaked overnight)
Barley (equal amount to beans)
Potatos
Salt (generous!)
Pepper
Garlic powder

The trick for me is to layer it. Friday morning- I make it in a crockpot (small one, gets filled to the brim) Onions. Then meat. Then potatoes. Then beans. Then barley on top. Spice. And put on low through shabbos. I love that all the parts are distinct and I can pick what I want from it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 2:50 pm
Lots of meat-Kolichel or flanken. , barley potatoes and no beans. Generously spice with salt, garlic, onion, paprika. Chop up an onion small pieces. Secret: a nice amount of squeezes of tomato paste. Water to cover. Delish every time

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 2:53 pm
I don't have a set recipe, I eyeball it. But I do apply some basic principles that I believe contribute to a delicious cholent every time.
1 .browning the meat and bones if using.
2.sauteeing lots of onions and garlic until caramelised
3. Adding seasons to onions and stirring to open the spices- pepper, paprika, garlic powder.
4. Adding the beans and barley with about a half a cup of water and letting it cook for a few minutes.
5. Adding the potatoes and cooking a few minutes.
6. Return meat to the pot and add water about two cups at a time, adding the next two cups each time the pot starts to boil. Continue this way until cholent is covered in water and bring to boil. Add salt to taste.
7. Once boiling add homemade kishke
8. Cook for about an hour until edible and then remove from flame
9. Right before shabbos bring to a boil and place on hot plate.
10. The best cholent is cooked in a pot. I personally don't like it from the crock pot.

This is a bit involved, but I find that taking care to cook it in stages really makes a difference.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:39 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
https://www.koshervillage.com/search/Chulent%20Mix?catalogProduct=98504

Thanks for linking

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:42 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What is chulent beans?

In the US many brands package a mix of 3 beans and call it cholent bean mix. Cranberry beans, kidney beans, and navy beans.

seeker

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 6:04 pm
Sautee onions/garlic and sear the meat before adding anything else.
Don't put it up too early.
Add only enough water to cover the ingredients.
Low temperature setting.

Basically can you tell I don't like the overcooked type?

Surrendered

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 6:14 pm
*(I saute lots of onions in advance and divide it into 8 Oz containers and freeze them).
*I prepare a jar with a mix of many spices, call it chulent spice and place it with all spices).

Delicious couldn't all the time!
In crock pot- let cook all day.

2 bags chulent mix
8 oz Sauted onions
Chulent Spice- paprika, salt, black and white pepper, garlic powder, onion soup mix, (cumin- optional).
(About a Tbs of each)
Any meat (optional)/kishka/potatoes optional

Cheiny

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 6:44 pm
agreer wrote:
Do you know what makes cholent taste good, but really good?

Fatty meat. There is something umami and savory that good, soft, fatty meat can do that nothing else can.

Fat = flavor.

Agree, but also, marrow bones make all the difference. All the takeout places use tons of them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics