Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What is your laundry routine?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:02 pm
I need ideas with laundry routine, how often do you wash?
Also am I asking to much of my 8 year old son when I ask him to please put in his cloth and socks in the hamper the regular way and not inside out?

happy chick

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:14 pm
It depends on how many ppl in your home, how many pairs of clothes for each one and how much hanging space you have.

About putting stuff in the hamper right side out, you gotta pick your fights. If they're putting it in the hamper, you're lucky. Don't push it. Or you could. Start putting things away inside out and see how he likes turning them right side out as he's getting dressed in the morning.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:54 pm
Family of 4. Everything on Sunday. Fold. Also towels.
Monday I put away whichever hanging was still wet Sunday.
Every other week I do linen on Tuesday, when my lady comes.
If we are running short, say change in season, not enough bras I do another 1 load Wednesday.

I find this works well for me. 1 day of mess and then we are back to routine. I live in a small apartment.

My sister, has family of 7 does the same. Her help is on Monday and does some folding as well. She does 1 full dark load Wednesday with uniform shirts and pants.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:56 pm
I start laundry on motze shabbos and dont stop TMI
If your son doesn't mind why not

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:59 pm
Laundry (dark load and white load) on Sunday, Tues/Wed and Fri. Once a week sheets and towels.
I fold it and put away the same day I wash it.
3 kids BH
I hate having a full dirty laundry basket.

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:01 pm
Yes. I’m very strict with my routine. Makes life easier for me. Forget about a kid putting it in the hamper the right way- we still got undies and pants coming off together😔

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:03 pm
I do a load every day. Whatever I see needs to be done most urgent.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:04 pm
I heard about this idea from a hotline I once listened to:
You make a laundry schedule- take note one week of how many loads you do and then divide that throughout the week accordingly. I also included when I iron, which is the day after I wash the white shirts. Shmattas are washed on cleaning help days.
For a family of 7 (all 5 kids are boys) Mine looks like this:
Sunday- white hanging, white dryer
Monday- dark hanging, towels, ironing
Tuesday- pajamas, linen, Shmattas
Wed- white hanging, white dryer
Thurs- dark dryer, towels, Shmattas, ironing
Friday- kitchen towels
Motzei shabbos- dark hanging, dark dryer.

I try not to have too much folding at a time. When shabbos is over late I only do one load motzei and do more on Sunday.

When I had two kids I did it all over Sunday and Monday. It’s too much now. Can’t hang 21 white shirts at once.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:06 pm
Most of the year laundry is done motzei shabbos and folded and put away Sunday morning. Then I would do a load or two closer to the end of the week. Now with shabbos ending so late im trying different things. This week I did a lot on Friday and folded it Sunday. It worked out pretty well. My kids need to put their stuff down the chute if they want it washed.

My kids need the clothes folded and put away or the morning is pure chaos with everyone yelling where are my pants. I prioritize this over other household chores.

We are 7 people but my husband does his own shirts and often times the kids shirts when hes working at home.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:33 pm
Hi.. I do laundry on Sundays and Wednesdays.. I do linens and towels on Erev Shobbos.. and it also changes around if Yontiff falls out on those days.. I try to have an empty hamper the time I bentch licht, and then do laundry the day after Yontiff, so this way I’m not overwhelmed after Yontiff.. see what works for you and your family.. maybe you can make a chart, this might help.. Hatzlocha 😊

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 6:59 pm
Yes, it is probably asking too much for an 8 year old to turn his clothing the right way before putting in the hamper. Sorry Sad However, I do have one child help me sort clothing before each load and turn the clothing the right way. I'm hoping that makes them more likely to do it on their own.. so far no luck!

As far as a schedule, I find it's so individual in terms of doing what works for you. What works for me is doing all the kids clothing on Sunday, when I'm home all day and can do multiple loads and know that it's taken care of for the week. I buy enough uniforms to get through a full week. Then I can throw in other loads as needed or whenever I have time throughout the week - towels, sheets, adult clothing.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 7:24 pm
I don’t have a laundry room. Family of 5-7 depending the week.
Monday and Thursday are my laundry days. Four loads each day. Wash, dry (I dry almost everything), and sort straight from the dryer, so I don’t end up with huge piles to sort through after washing.
Sorting goes something like this:
Kid’s laundry gets put on top of their dresser and they help me fold and put it away. Towels get folded straight from the dryer. Rags go straight into a box under the sink. Socks go into a small bin and I sort and fold from there. Dh and my stuff go in a laundry basket and I fold and put away in my room.

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 7:28 pm
You can totally ask an 8-year-old to turn his clothes right side out.

No laundry tips here. I've never gotten the hang of it, I hate it with a passion, and I wish I had enough money to buy clothes for the whole year so I never have to do laundry.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 7:29 pm
I do approximately a load every other day. DH does 2 set loads a week. We have a cleaning lady one morning a week and she does the normal linens and towels. If we have company then I wash the extra linens and have her remake the beds when she comes. Obviously, sometimes more laundry is needed such as when kids are sick and then the laundry schedule goes out the window.

Gittu

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 9:16 pm
A load a day keeps the stress away! You will never be overwhelmed by doing laundry again!

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 9:25 pm
I wash a load and fold that load every day.
Sunday black load
Monday colored load
Tuesday another colored load
Wednesday white load
Thursday linens when the lady comes
Friday towels

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:04 pm
happy chick wrote:
It depends on how many ppl in your home, how many pairs of clothes for each one and how much hanging space you have.

About putting stuff in the hamper right side out, you gotta pick your fights. If they're putting it in the hamper, you're lucky. Don't push it. Or you could. Start putting things away inside out and see how he likes turning them right side out as he's getting dressed in the morning.

I do this with some of my husband’s and son’s things (the stuff that doesn’t have stains and it’s fine to be washed inside out). Neither have ever said anything to me about it. They just turn it right side in before wearing. Very Happy

(If I remind my son to turn his things right side out he actually does it without complaining but it’s not something he would bother/remember to do without a reminder).

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:02 pm
Tuesdays and Fridays work best for me. Whatever gets put in the hamper inside out gets hung back upor folded inside out. Many times my dh will get my toddler into pajamas at night and dress him in inside out pajamas LOL

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:45 pm
Am I the only one that does about 3-4 loads per day? 🤔 every day?

Sunday teen girls do their laundry.
Monday younger girl
Tuesday middle girl
Wednesday the big boys
Thursday the little boys
Friday myself and baby
Motzai shabbos I try to do the shabbos clothing so it doesn't sit .
Sunday also my husband's

Plus add in kitchen towels and bath towels and everyone's linen every other week. Each bedroom takes a turn one day a week. There are 6 bedrooms. So every day is someone's linen..
I dont have laundry days. I'm jealous of people who have laundry days.
I'm tired. And burned out of laundry.
Every day is laundry day. Never get a break.

effess

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 12:02 am
I’m reading the replies and wondering what is wrong with me?
I have about 13-15 loads a week and I’m always playing catch-up.
The one day this year that I got to the bottom of the pile, I made a party and then three hours later, the pile started to accumulate again.

Sorry, my system doesn’t work.
Although I do recommend if you have the space to have two machines if it’s getting overwhelming
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry