Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me with my newborn
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:25 pm
The crying drives me mad
I think baby is overtired most of the time but is so difficult to get to sleep
Help me troubleshoot and see what might be the issue

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:26 pm
Are you ensuring his wake time is less than 2 hours ?

hodeez

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:28 pm
Might be a reaction to the formula he's eating or something you're eating that's transferred to the breast milk. That was the issue each time I had this with my newborns

Goody2shoes

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:28 pm
Could it be reflux? I'm going thru that now with my 9 week old.

bsy

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:32 pm
Put baby back to sleep about 45 minutes after waking up. They get tired quickly and overtired babies fight sleep

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:34 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Are you ensuring his wake time is less than 2 hours ?

Sometimes it takes hours for him to fall asleep!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:35 pm
hodeez wrote:
Might be a reaction to the formula he's eating or something you're eating that's transferred to the breast milk. That was the issue each time I had this with my newborns

I'm breastfeeding only, how did you figure it out?

mushkamothers

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sometimes it takes hours for him to fall asleep!

That's classic overtired, overstimulation
How old is "newborn"?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:36 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
Could it be reflux? I'm going thru that now with my 9 week old.

He doesn't spit up too much and doesn't seem relieved when I hold him upright after eating

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:36 pm
bsy wrote:
Put baby back to sleep about 45 minutes after waking up. They get tired quickly and overtired babies fight sleep

Yes I try....

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:38 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
That's classic overtired, overstimulation
How old is "newborn"?

5 weeks

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:40 pm
Hugs. It’s exhausting.
I heard newborn babies are only supposed to have 1 hour of awake time at a time. It’s important to catch baby when he starts getting tired before it spirals quickly to being overtired.

First make sure he is well fed.
Then burp him well and change his diaper.
If he looks sleepy or has been up for a while, try swaddling him and putting him to sleep (by nursing or rocking or however you get him to sleep).

If he is still crying a lot when he is well rested, explore these things-
Is he in pain while eating? Could it be gas or reflux?
Sensitivity to the formula or something you ate?
Does he like motion and find it soothing?
Is he gaining properly?
Is he having enough wet and dirty diapers?
Is a different position more comfortable for him (against your shoulder, football hold, cradling, holding with pressure on the stomach, etc)?

Weirdly enough, as a teen that babysit often, I always found babies like the gentle up/down motion to be soothing. Hold baby securely against you and bend knees up and down repeatedly.
Some babies liked the sound and sight of running water. Some babies find music soothing or you singing to them. Explore what your baby finds comforting.

Good luck!

bsy

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I try....

Start before they are visibly tired

Last edited by bsy on Mon, May 22 2023, 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aconite

Swaddle with a noise machine in a dark room. It sounds like your baby is over tired and over stimulated.

amother
Grape

If none of those are working, a lot of babies like the baby swings (like Fisher Price snuggapuppy swing). My fussy baby wouldn’t sleep in my hands when overtired but conked right out in the swing.

It’s not considered safe for sleeping so I only do it if I’m right there next to the baby. If I need to leave the room I transfer the baby out to a bassinet.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm breastfeeding only, how did you figure it out?

One of mine had this - I started eliminating foods one by one that were known to cause issues with milk. Think skipping onions for a couple of days, if that didn't work, skip something else for a couple of days. With that particular child, it was caffeine of all things! I realized it late one night when I was going to grab something else to help me stay awake and realized that she was drinking what I was drinking, and was probably being kept up by the same stuff keeping me up. Banging head

dena613

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:47 pm
The 5 S to get a baby to sleep (Google it. Harvey Karp) The more Ss you do, the better. You can do them all at once if motivated.

Suck (nurse or pacifier)
Swaddle (tightly and properly)
Side (hold baby on its side)
Shush (loud SHHHH SHHH in baby's ear)
Swing (can be put in a swing, rocking stroller, but it's really a quick gentle jiggle

Hatzlacha rabba!

tichellady

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:48 pm
honestly some kids just cry a lot at this age. it will get better. I think it helps to know you aren't doing anything wrong per se. my babies were happiest outside so I tried to keep them outside as much as possible during the day

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Hugs. It’s exhausting.
I heard newborn babies are only supposed to have 1 hour of awake time at a time. It’s important to catch baby when he starts getting tired before it spirals quickly to being overtired.

First make sure he is well fed.
Then burp him well and change his diaper.
If he looks sleepy or has been up for a while, try swaddling him and putting him to sleep (by nursing or rocking or however you get him to sleep).

If he is still crying a lot when he is well rested, explore these things-
Is he in pain while eating? Could it be gas or reflux?
Sensitivity to the formula or something you ate?
Does he like motion and find it soothing?
Is he gaining properly?
Is he having enough wet and dirty diapers?
Is a different position more comfortable for him (against your shoulder, football hold, cradling, holding with pressure on the stomach, etc)?

Weirdly enough, as a teen that babysit often, I always found babies like the gentle up/down motion to be soothing. Hold baby securely against you and bend knees up and down repeatedly.
Some babies liked the sound and sight of running water. Some babies find music soothing or you singing to them. Explore what your baby finds comforting.

Good luck!

I appreciate you taking the time to type this

Is he in pain while eating? Could it be gas or reflux? I don't think so
Sensitivity to the formula or something you ate? How would I know,?
Does he like motion and find it soothing? Usually not
Is he gaining properly? Yes bh
Is he having enough wet and dirty diapers? I think so
Is a different position more comfortable for him (against your shoulder, football hold, cradling, holding with pressure on the stomach, etc)? only[b] with paci also in mouth and hysterics every time it falls out which is often

scintilla

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 11:03 pm
Try wearing them in a carrier to get them to sleep, if that works go for a walk to keep them in a good sleep. Then once they've had a good sleep, you've broken the overtired cycle hopefully and you can try the other tips to get them back on track. My favorite tip is catch them before they're tired.

If they're still fussy I would recommend craniosacral therapy, going off dairy *completely* and checking for any feeding issues or tongue tie. A probiotic can also help if it's stomach related.

And so much of this can just be, newborn-ness! It will pass iyh! In the meantime hold them close as much as you can and know you're doing a good job.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics