Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/O laundry routine - Do you have a laundry room upstairs?
1  2  Next

Do you have a laundry room upstairs near your bedrooms?
yes and I love it  
 48%  [ 63 ]
yes and I hate it  
 1%  [ 2 ]
yes and it makes no difference in my laundry routine  
 0%  [ 1 ]
no but I wish I did  
 41%  [ 54 ]
no and I prefer it thay way  
 6%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 129

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:05 am
I'm curious what people have. I really want to move my laundry room upstairs but it's a huge expense for us. Is it worth it?

singleagain

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:08 am
My mom put the laundry off the kitchen which made sense when we were little and she spent a lot of time downstairs with us. But recently I think she has said she would have liked it upstairs bc now that everyone else is out of the house she doesn't spend a lot of time downstairs.

You have to figure out what will work best for you and your family. Not worry too much about what works for other people.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:09 am
At one point when we lived in a small apartment the laundry room was right outside my kids room. On one hand it was really nice being able to toss dirty clothes right in. On the other hand I couldn’t run it during bedtime because the noise would keep them awake

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:16 am
While upstairs could help me not have to bring laundry back up (down I don’t care I throw it) first floor helps because moving it from washer to dryer and next load happens faster because I’m around it and see it ended etc.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:18 am
I would add a stackable upstairs but keep laundry room downstairs so have the best of both worlds.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:23 am
My laundry room is in my basement. If I moved it up upstairs, it would have to be way smaller! I love having room to hang plenty of stuff to dry.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:44 am
Couldn't vote because my answer would be no, and I don't really care.
Meaning I don't wish I had it or prefer not to have it. I'm pareve about it.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:52 am
My laundry room is next to my kitchen, on main floor. I like it there because I take a load down with me in the morning, have my coffee, etc....later on I process the load, have some lunch, etc....I do laundry while waiting for whatever's on the stove or in the oven to be ready....it works for me to do laundry and cooking (or dishes) in same time frame.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:07 am
In my kitchen. I hate it. UK living…

I need to shlep my laundry down from the loft. Plus it folds up my kitchen table.

Plus side I can cook and do laundry all at once.

My landlord said it used to be upstairs in the bathroom but they moved it down so they could have a linen closet in the bathroom. Go figure.

zaq

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:10 am
singleagain wrote:

You have to figure out what will work best for you and your family. Not worry too much about what works for other people.

This.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:12 am
I used to have laundry on the main floor, now I have it upstairs near the bedroom. There are advantages to both.

I don't have the issue of it keeping my kids awake, they aren't that light sleepers. If they were, that would be a significant consideration. I can't imagine not being able to do any laundry at night.

I like having less laundry to shlep up or down the stairs. I like that it is more private.

But during the day I need to be more intentional about doing laundry, instead of being right near the laundry room all the time. As an "out of sight out of mind" person that's a challenge.

Having it in the basement would be good for someone who does a lot of hang drying. I don't, so for me the basement would be the worst option of all.

zaq

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:17 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
In my kitchen. I hate it. .

And because I live in a small apartment, my machine is my kitchen and I love it. The top serves as an extra counter or work surface, and I don't have to make a special trip anywhere. It's about a ten second walk, if that, from the hamper to the machine. I do laundry after 9 am and before 9 pm because of the neighbors, but that would be true even if I had a separate laundry room. I don't vacuum outside of those hours, either.

cnc

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:51 am
I had it upstairs with the bedrooms previously . When I moved the laundry room is on the main floor- I would switch it back in a heartbeat. My main floor always looks messy and I’m always shlepping laundry in between floors, it’s pretty annoying.

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:58 am
I live an apartment, but a laundry room is more important to me than location.
I hang dry practically everything.
We are a family of 4 with 3 drying racks, and I need 48 hours to wash and dry everything in shifts back to back. (Hang load, dry load, dry load, hang load, etc)
My washing machine and dryer are in a closet in my kitchen, and the drying racks are there, too, from mtzshb to Sunday night, and Monday night to Tuesday morning.
Folding takes place on the kitchen table, I don't have a couch or any other surface to do it.

IYH when I have a choice, I need a laundry area, so a Laundry closet upstairs wouldn't cut it for me. I wouldn't have where to hang the laundry...

Golde

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:04 am
I have it in the basement and I'm so happy not to have it on the main floors. Really love having it there

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:13 am
OP, some questions to ask yourself:

How difficult do you find it to carry laundry up or down the stairs?

Would the amount of space for the laundry room be the same on both floors?

What time of day do you usually do laundry?

Would the noise of a machine be a problem for sleeping children?

Do you have a working laundry routine, and would moving things around change it?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:35 am
In my old house I had it in the basement. I was always forgetting to transfer the load to the dryer/racks and had to re-wash.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:41 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm curious what people have. I really want to move my laundry room upstairs but it's a huge expense for us. Is it worth it?

My washing machine is in my bathroom. It’s quite convenient, and I really like it. I would have rather had it not in my bathroom but rather in a closet in the hallway, but it works out well. We have a sound machine in our room, so even if I put in a load late at night, it doesn’t disturb us.

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
In my old house I had it in the basement. I was always forgetting to transfer the load to the dryer/racks and had to re-wash.

Thats how I have it now.
I get busy upstairs on the main floor and then I realize hey I never transferred the load!

It's in the basement in a room that is actually the boiler room with an unfinished ceiling and a cement floor.

I definitely miss my convenient well lit airy washroom from my previous home. Sad

The previous owner of my current home was non Jewish but she did have a family.
I can't wrap my head around this.

How do people not need a normal space to wash and fold laundry? Can't Believe It

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:39 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My laundry room is next to my kitchen, on main floor. I like it there because I take a load down with me in the morning, have my coffee, etc....later on I process the load, have some lunch, etc....I do laundry while waiting for whatever's on the stove or in the oven to be ready....it works for me to do laundry and cooking (or dishes) in same time frame.

I run a load during my early morning coffee too it's in the basement have to be organizedabout it the night before - near the kitchen sounds like a dream
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry