Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
ISO someone to teach to swallow pills
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:35 pm
Buying a can of corn, soda/seltzer, and ice cream today to try. Thanks!

madeinchina

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 5:24 pm
I used this to relearn to swallow pills and now can swallow with no problem

https://www.amazon.com/OralFlo.....ss_tl

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 6:06 pm
madeinchina wrote:
I used this to relearn to swallow pills and now can swallow with no problem

https://www.amazon.com/OralFlo.....ss_tl

You didn't subconsciously stop the pill in your mouth?

madeinchina

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 6:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
You didn't subconsciously stop the pill in your mouth?

No, I swallowed soup nuts to practice and had someone else put it in the cup and not tell me if it was there or not. I had previously choked on a pill so was super anxious obviously. Really didn’t feel it go down with this

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 8:32 pm
try the duck shake method-put the pill on tongue with water then turn head to left or right with head facing ceiling and swallow.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:01 pm
I have tori on the roof of my mouth but I didn't know that most people don't. (Google if you want to know what it is).

Once I realized that I have that, I realize why it seems like everyone else has an easier time swallowing tablets.

Now I know I have to slide the tablet to the right of center so the tori doesn't interfere.

Maybe that's your problem.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:09 pm
Personally, I had (and continue to have) a hard time swallowing pills. For me it's a sensory thing and anxiety about choking/gagging. As I posted before, I learned how by hiding the pill in ice cream and swallowing it all down. I don't do that anymore but it's still tricky for me. I still gag, cough, and get anxious about it. I have to pinch my nose and throw my head back with the pill and water in my mouth. And sometimes it doesn't work, and I have to try several times. It sound very dramatic, but it's unpleasant for me. But I do it and try not to make a big deal because it's a part of life sometimes!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 10:11 pm
I taught my daughter with pill anxiety to swallow by putting it in the center of her tongue and then drinking a cup with a straw. Took a few tries but now she's a pro and shows off to her siblings. You can have the child practice with Mike and ikes

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 10:38 pm
Update:
Soda failed, duck face failed, ice cream failed Sad

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:11 pm
Can you cut up the pill or grind it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:04 am
amother Linen wrote:
Can you cut up the pill or grind it?

Have been grinding until now, but this new meds can't be

miami85

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:43 am
My son worked with his zoom-based speech therapist to do this--and he has an extremely sensitive gag reflex and now swallows pills with ease. He's really nice PM me for more information.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:49 am
My most recommended methods are

1 ) in ice cream (start with this). Help him bury it in a a small spoonful of ice cream. He first swallows a spoonful without the pill to feel confident, then next the spoonful with the pill (tic tac at first) inside

2) Another method (we got to this later in process) is, assuming its a size that wont fall through the holes-- Get the individual bottled water in disposable "sport cap" bottles and place it on the top of the spout you drink out of. There is a little place that it fits.Tell him to just drink a lot with head a little back, and it floats right down-- MUCH easier than the cup method.

Practice them both with Tic-tacs before trying with the real medicine.

My teen with many major issues including sensory learned it this way, and and now has no problem. It was a real struggle until we tried the ice cream (Ben & Jerrrys or another "gourmet" type with a lot of fat works well to cover the pill. Without nuts or pieces obviously)

--
Edit- sorry I didnt read whole thread, see now ice cream failed. But leaving this in case it is a different method of setting it up. Also for us it was key to let the child time and hold everything themself-- dont hold spoon up, or say 123 or anything-- them doing it on their on control made it less tense.

amother
Snow

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 7:24 am
What works for me is to take a sip of water first, so the pill can slide around, put in the pill, take another sip, then throw my head back so it slides down.

Shepping

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 7:34 am
I agree with the cup idea, (tried posting link from Amazon but doesn't look like its showing the link) but this is the one I used, has a shelf for the pill and then you are so focused on the drink that the pill just goes down....
GMS Pill Taker's Cup for Easy Swallowing of Medication, Vitamins, Supplements, and Other Pills (Great for Use of All Ages) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077.....ss_tl

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:45 am
So funny people put their head back. I learnt to swallow pills very late. I tilt my head down (and usually put a hand or fist against my lips) and swallow that way. The pill floats to the right spot to go down when I swallow. Tilting back scared me. I did this with the combination if take a drink, then drink from a sports cap bottle with a pill in the top.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:51 am
Different methods work for different people. You need to try different ways and figure out which one works. I recently taught my teenager and this is what worked for her:

Firstly, make sure to be in a calm state before attempting. Take deep breaths etc. to stay calm throughout.

Take a small sip of water so that your mouth is not dry. We started with small pieces of canned corn. Once she got that down, we switched to half a tic tac, then a full tic tac, and then a small pill. This took a few weeks, practicing for a few min (or longer) almost every day. The key for my daughter was staying calm, and trying to keep her mind on something else while while swallowing. I talked to her a lot about random topics while she was attempting, to get her mind off of swallowing, and gave constant positive encouragement.

Now, a few months later, she is a pro and can take a few pills at a time easily.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Update:
Soda failed, duck face failed, ice cream failed Sad

The OT in me in curious what happened- what do you mean by "failed"?

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:43 am
I put the pill on the back of my tongue and take a water bottle and squeeze in a lot of water. The pill goes down without me having to swallow.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 8:42 am
amother Apricot wrote:
The OT in me in curious what happened- what do you mean by "failed"?

Didn't work.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries