Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Do you stay up shevuos night to learn?
1  2  3  Next

Do you stay up all night to learn?
No  
 96%  [ 170 ]
Other  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Yes  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 177

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:51 pm
And what do you learn?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:52 pm
isnt it only for the men?!?!!?!?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:54 pm
I used to think so.. but since I joined imamother I see there are women who learn

I don't know how to edit the poll to include yes šŸ˜”

mha3484

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:54 pm
I did when I was single but I am way too old for that now Id fall asleep lol.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:56 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
Of course its not only for the men. Did only the men get the torah? In any and every community that I have ever lived in, there have been shiurim for kids, teens, men, women, together and separate.
Learning is for anyone who wants to. Not just the men.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 3:57 pm
Please Mothers. Please only stay up if it won't effect your next day with your children. It is amazing to learn Torah, but if you have children that need you and you will be tired, not as plugged in to them, Be a great Mom and serve Hashem by getting Sleep.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:00 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Please Mothers. Please only stay up if it won't effect your next day with your children. It is amazing to learn Torah, but if you have children that need you and you will be tired, not as plugged in to them, Be a great Mom and serve Hashem by getting Sleep.
And I will say the same for men. If staying up all night will affect how they are ableto be fathers the next day, and husbands, they should not stay up all night either.
I know many men who do not stay up all night because they know that they can not function tenext day and normal human beings.
There is no halacha for anyone to stay up all night.

amother
Aqua

amother Maroon wrote:

šŸ˜³
Did women not get the Torah as well?
Our chiuvim are different and we may have different needs and responsibilities, but if a woman has the ability to stay up and learn isnā€™t that beautiful?

amother
OP

In my community there aren't shiurim for women but wondering why not?
Did the women not oversle ep the day of matan torah?

amother
Latte

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:01 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

Would the same thing not apply to fathers? Is it ok if fathers stay up if it will affect the next day with their children and will not be as plugged into them (whatever that means)?
Disclaimer I absolutely do not stay up, I need my sleep. But don't discourage other moms from doing it.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:08 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Would the same thing not apply to fathers? Is it ok if fathers stay up if it will affect the next day with their children and will not be as plugged into them (whatever that means)?
Disclaimer I absolutely do not stay up, I need my sleep. But don't discourage other moms from doing it.

Silly, Fathers are not responsible for their children. They might help or babysit some times, but they are not responsible and the burden is not theirs.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I did when I was single but I am way too old for that now Id fall asleep lol.

Same! It was fun when. I was young and single. Good memories

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:10 pm
Our shul's all night Shavuos learning is open to both men and women. Both are eligible to give a shiur and both are eligible to attend as audience members.

My attendance has varied over the years, depending on the ages and stages of my kids. DH has put in many more hours than I have. Some years, only DH went. Last year, I went to two early shiurim and then came home and DH went for the rest of the night and stayed for shachris.

This year, my mother will be sleeping over, so both DH and I will be able to go all night. I'm also giving a shiur for the first. Wish me luck Smile

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
In my community there aren't shiurim for women but wondering why not?
Did the women not oversle ep the day of matan torah?

My community shiurim are open to both. But there are definitely womens programming as well

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:12 pm
I try to stay up a little after the meal and read a bit of Megilas Rus. But when I feel myself nodding off, I go to sleep. DH can come home and go to sleep, but I have a meal and guests to prepare for in the morning....(and if I am able, I like to get to shul a bit too.)

amother
Chambray

I did for years when I was single. Now I go to one or two shiurim after dinner and go to sleep.

amother
Floralwhite

amother Aqua wrote:
Silly, Fathers are not responsible for their children. They might help or babysit some times, but they are not responsible and the burden is not theirs.

LOL

amother
Wallflower

I want to be on that level, but I do enough the day before and need to be a functioning adult the next.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:13 pm
amother Latte wrote:

Yes absolutely. DH says that anyone who finds it hard to function the next day, or help with the children, or whatever their obligations are, should not stay up all night. It's not a Halacha. It's a minhag, at most.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:13 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Our shul's all night Shavuos learning is open to both men and women. Both are eligible to give a shiur and both are eligible to attend as audience members.

My attendance has varied over the years, depending on the ages and stages of my kids. DH has put in many more hours than I have. Some years, only DH went. Last year, I went to two early shiurim and then came home and DH went for the rest of the night and stayed for shachris.

This year, my mother will be sleeping over, so both DH and I will be able to go all night. I'm also giving a shiur for the first. Wish me luck Smile

Hatzlocho Smile
What topic?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational