Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
American gifts for Israeli cousin
1  2  Next

tf

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:34 pm
I'm curious what are gifts Israeli people like Americans to bring along when visiting. One would be for an elderly couple hosts, others are middle aged couples with children of all ages and for newly weds.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 2:37 pm
Fruit Roll-ups.

SG18

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:10 pm
Ask them! I'm sure they have specific things they'd like.

tf

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 7:12 pm
And what about the couples?
I'd also like more ideas.

juggling

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 8:55 pm
I think the fruit roll ups idea was a joke, based on the TikTok trend. You can get fruit roll ups in Israel, and they were never particularly popular until the recent TikTok trend.

tf

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:07 pm
How about cash?

SG18

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:03 am
Cash is the best gift, if you don't know what they need.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:23 am
There is very little that you can't get in Israel. I would bring pretty hand towels, cookbooks or housewares, which I find are always appreciated.

If you're close to these relatives and have the kind of relationship where they would feel comfortable asking for particular over the counter medicines or cosmetics, that's also nice. Also, you can ask if they want to order things online to be delivered to you before you come.

There are some food items that are harder for me to find here. Last time I was in the US, I brought back pareve caramel chips for baking.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:35 am
DH bought our kids nerf guns. They love them!
Get lots of extra darts.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:41 am
Do you know them well or not?
A previously mentioned Israeli shopping is for better now then what it used to be.
There are things that you can get her buy much more expensive. Someone mentioned Advil in the past (apparently you can't buy Advil via Amazon)
My somewhat weird suggestions:
GooGone is very difficult to find here and very expensive.
Press n' Seal doesn't exist here.
Very good vanilla extract for those who bake.
American jelly beans Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:42 am
Toys and games are far more expensive in Israel than in the US AFAIK.

juggling

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:47 am
Do they speak English at home? You can get some good English books for the kids.

Truth is, amazon delivering to Israel is a game-changer as far as toys, games, and books. Things that are expensive or hard-to-get in Israel, can be gotten via Amazon.

Unless there is something specific they asked you to bring, it might be worth buying them a gift the same way you'd buy a gift if you were visiting relatives in the US. Buy something you think they'd appreciate, regardless of whether they can or can't get it for themselves.

essie14

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:54 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Do you know them well or not?
A previously mentioned Israeli shopping is for better now then what it used to be.
There are things that you can get her buy much more expensive. Someone mentioned Advil in the past (apparently you can't buy Advil via Amazon)
My somewhat weird suggestions:
GooGone is very difficult to find here and very expensive.
Press n' Seal doesn't exist here.
Very good vanilla extract for those who bake.
American jelly beans Smile

I've bought Goo Gone on Amazon 😁
One of things I bring back the most is Neosporin (the generic CVS brand is really cheap)
I love Trader Joe's spices

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:00 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

We buy toys and games on amazon.
You may be able to buy advil on iherb. I have people bring me allergy pills

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:02 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

This. Even simple toys are exorbitant in Israel. We always bring games, toys, and electronics like speakers etc. Always appreciated.

Reality

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:12 am
LovesHashem wrote:
We buy toys and games on amazon.
You may be able to buy advil on iherb. I have people bring me allergy pills

The price of toys and games on Amazon Israel is way more expensive then actual US prices.

I also think toys, board games and books. Also, artscroll siddurim and seforim are sooo expensive here. So maybe that's something they would appreciate also.

ShishKabob

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:16 am
Gone are the days where you need to bring tuna or toilet paper to Israel. The are geographically closer to China! Bring a gift like you would to an American unless there is something specific you know that they like. Enjoy your trip!

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:21 am
Reality wrote:
The price of toys and games on Amazon Israel is way more expensive then actual US prices.

I also think toys, board games and books. Also, artscroll siddurim and seforim are sooo expensive here. So maybe that's something they would appreciate also.

Really? I have people traveling back and forth and we order on Amazon in the USA. Haven't seen any major price differences. Sometimes there's a sale or something. We buy our kids toys, board books, and all of our board games are from Amazon pretty much.

Reality

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:33 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Really? I have people traveling back and forth and we order on Amazon in the USA. Haven't seen any major price differences. Sometimes there's a sale or something. We buy our kids toys, board books, and all of our board games are from Amazon pretty much.

Amazon US has much lower prices than Amazon Israel.

And when I lived in the US, I always price compared Amazon and Walmart. And most times Walmart is cheaper.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:38 am
Reality wrote:
Amazon US has much lower prices than Amazon Israel.

And when I lived in the US, I always price compared Amazon and Walmart. And most times Walmart is cheaper.

I agree. We had someone bring us back Catan for 25 dollars from target during black Friday. It was like 45 on Amazon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions