Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is strep linked to misbehavior
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:26 pm
My preschooler tested positive for strep, we went to urgent care due to stomach pain and I had the test done as well. Bh we caught it and he started antibiotics and I gave him motrin for the pain as well. My question is, his behavior today was unusually difficult. Mischievous, biting, throwing stuff - he doesn't usually act this way. Could misbehavior be a result of strep? How long does it last? Sorry for my ignorance, bh my kids don't get sick often and I don't remember another incident like this.

rosebunch

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:40 pm
Yes, misbehavior is very normal with strep

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:41 pm
Definitely! Test for Pandas (I believe it comes from strep)

sweet3

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:41 pm
Yes yes yes!!! I know my kids have strept when their behavior becomes impossible!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:45 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Definitely! Test for Pandas (I believe it comes from strep)

Her kid currently has strep and is acting up this one time. That is not what pandas is.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:45 pm
I usually know my 4 year old is sick (could be strep or anything) when he misbehaves. He has high pain tolerance so wouldn’t tell me if his stomach or anything hurts.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Her kid currently has strep and is acting up this one time. That is not what pandas is.
Behavior changes associated with strep infections is in fact pandas, even if it’s only “pandas minor”, ie goes away when the infection resolves. It’s a sign that there is a misdirected immune response going on.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:50 pm
Can you remember the last time you had strep? Sore throat is really quite painful, plus an overall yucky feeling. Now imagine you’re a toddler feeling like that.

It’s really not so complicated.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
Behavior changes associated with strep infections is in fact pandas, even if it’s only “pandas minor”, ie goes away when the infection resolves. It’s a sign that there is a misdirected immune response going on.

This is very scary! What do I do now?

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
If it’s the first time it happened, you could possibly knock it out with a longer course of antibiotics. Try to get at least 30 days.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

You don't listen to random people and panic. Sick kids can act up, kids on meds can act up. We don't get concerned when a kid acts up once in a while. It's normal. Don't worry unless it continues for a while or happens again. People like to spread misinformation about pandas and scare everyone, just tune it out.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:58 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:

What do you gain from spreading panic? This is why everyone is turned off by these comments. This is a huge overreaction to a one time incident.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 10:00 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
If it’s the first time it happened, you could possibly knock it out with a longer course of antibiotics. Try to get at least 30 days.

I guess I'll see how his behavior is when he feels better and maybe retest? I don't want to give such a long dose if not needed.

rubyred

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 10:02 pm
It could also be related to the antibiotic itself which alters the gut flora…gut brain connection. I once was prescribed augmentin and started feeling crazy so I called the doctor and they switched the antibiotic.

rubyred

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 10:08 pm
A probiotic may help offset some of the side effects of the infection and antibiotic.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:06 pm
Not to be nitpicky but the real question is, is misbehavior linked to strep. Wink
Hope everything clears up with no repercussions.

cnc

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:08 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
You don't listen to random people and panic. Sick kids can act up, kids on meds can act up. We don't get concerned when a kid acts up once in a while. It's normal. Don't worry unless it continues for a while or happens again. People like to spread misinformation about pandas and scare everyone, just tune it out.

This . Please do NOT give your kid abx for 30 days because they had strep once . Besides, no doctor in their right mind would prescribe for 30 days.

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 11:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
My preschooler tested positive for strep, we went to urgent care due to stomach pain and I had the test done as well. Bh we caught it and he started antibiotics and I gave him motrin for the pain as well. My question is, his behavior today was unusually difficult. Mischievous, biting, throwing stuff - he doesn't usually act this way. Could misbehavior be a result of strep? How long does it last? Sorry for my ignorance, bh my kids don't get sick often and I don't remember another incident like this.

In my kids case, and actually Google confirmed this for me, strept exacerbates existing ND symptoms. So less impulse control, less emotion regulation, etc. some of the zaniest things my kids have done, like cover all the walls with marker, was when they had strept. Thankfully my oldest is now outgrowing that and switching to regular strept symptoms.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:16 pm
I'm so worried about my child.
He's usually acting ok, cute smart cheerful, but when he gets upset, he goes absolutely nuts. Maybe once a day or every other day. Biting me, pulling at my clothes and snood. Totally out of control tantrum like he's never had. This is about 5 days in on ABX and I'm trying to give him probiotics too.

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm so worried about my child.
He's usually acting ok, cute smart cheerful, but when he gets upset, he goes absolutely nuts. Maybe once a day or every other day. Biting me, pulling at my clothes and snood. Totally out of control tantrum like he's never had. This is about 5 days in on ABX and I'm trying to give him probiotics too.

Could something else be going on? If it was the strept then the abx should’ve helped by now
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics