Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Do you wear a watch?
1  2  Next

Do you wear a watch?
All the time  
 54%  [ 128 ]
Sometimes  
 17%  [ 42 ]
No  
 25%  [ 59 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 234

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:40 am
This is a spinoff of the Michelle watch. I don’t know name brands and don’t care for them either.

Less than 20 years ago I was walking with my mother and someone asked me what time it was. I looked at my watch and told them. My mother laughed how old fashioned I was and not check my phone. The only time she wore a watch was when she was in the the hospital as a patient and I don’t think she ever had a cell phone. I feel naked without one on my wrist.

A separate thing, where do you wear it and are you a righty or lefty? For some reason, all my kids who wear a watch wear it on their right hand and are all rightys. I wear it on my left.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:59 am
Always wear a watch. A cell phone isn't much use for telling the time on Shabbos.

Normally a swatch. Not too expensive, reliable, and waterproof. I'm looking to know the time, not make a fashion statement.

I wear it on my left wrist, and have done since I got my first watch when I was about ten. A few years ago I broke my wrist, and had a cast for a few weeks. I tried to wear my watch on my right wrist, but I was constantly aware of it, and it felt uncomfortable. I'm so used to it on my left wrist that I don't even feel it.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:02 am
I have never been much of a watch wearer, though I have owned watches in the past.
(I do have my mother AH's gold engagement watch, and I sometimes wear it on YT. More like a bracelet).
I was taught that watches go on the left hand.

Reality

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:03 am
I always wear a watch. I feel absolutely lost without it. I am a righty and wear it on my left wrist.

bsy

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:05 am
As a kid I wore it on my right hand. But now I wear it on my left. Im right handed

mommyhood

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:09 am
Always wear one, I also feel naked without it. I even sleep with it on I just take it off to shower. I don’t wear expensive ones just whatever I like from Amazon.
I’m a righty and wear it on my left hand. I work on a computer and anything on my right hand gets annoying hitting the mouse so I only wear bracelets on the weekends.

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:13 am
I’m a righty who always wears a watch on my left wrist. I can barely tolerate most jewelry but I feel naked without a watch!

leilatov1

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:13 am
I wear a Fitbit during the week, only take it off if I am charging it during my shower. I sleep with it on. Shabbos I wear a regular watch and sleep with that too

preciousmommy

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:19 am
I have to wear a watch, it feels weird without one. I do occasionally check the time on my phone, but I need the option of a watch. Especially for work, when I need to be able to check the time frequently and can’t use my phone.

As a righty, it’s of course on my left hand. I teach my kids the correct hand right when they get a watch, otherwise they’ll get used to the wrong way. Not sure why it matters but I like to follow the rules LOL

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:27 am
I always wear a watch on my right hand. It is a Skagen from Costco. (At that time, they also had Michele watches for ~$85, but who ever heard of those?)
My grown DDs never wear a watch. They got swatches for their Bat Mitzvahs -they are still new in box. I offered them “nice” watches for HS graduation-pick whatever you want that is reasonable, whatever is in style. And they declined stating no interest in a watch that they would never actually wear it.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:31 am
yo'ma wrote:
This is a spinoff of the Michelle watch. I don’t know name brands and don’t care for them either.

Less than 20 years ago I was walking with my mother and someone asked me what time it was. I looked at my watch and told them. My mother laughed how old fashioned I was and not check my phone. The only time she wore a watch was when she was in the the hospital as a patient and I don’t think she ever had a cell phone. I feel naked without one on my wrist.

A separate thing, where do you wear it and are you a righty or lefty? For some reason, all my kids who wear a watch wear it on their right hand and are all rightys. I wear it on my left.

I wear a watch all the time. My watch is currently vacillating between working and not. I am a lefty, and I wear it on my left wrist, face on the inside of my wrist.

zaq

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:41 am
Always. On my left wrist, for two reasons: as a righty, I lack the dexterity to buckle the strap with my left hand, and because the watch gets in the way of my work if it's on my right wrist
I've been wearing the same inexpensive Timex, long may it live, for idonnamenny years. I love it. It has a simple and clear display, and lights up for viewing in the dark.

A phone is fine, but a watch is better. I can simply turn my wrist and read the time. No fumbling to extract the phone from purse or pocket, no messing around trying to find the switch and realizing the phone is upside down, no entering a security code to gain access, no waiting for the display to light up. And unless the band breaks, the watch is in no danger of being lost or left behind in my travels.

My dad, who was an expert mechanic, told me that a dedicated single-function tool or instrument always works better than a multi-purpose one. A table with no leaves is sturdier than one with leaves, a regular bike is stronger than a folding bike, a fixed-bit screwdriver can exert more pressure than one with interchangeable bits. And a watch that's just a watch is better for telling time than the clock on a phone.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:58 am
Always on Shabbos. Occasionally on weekdays.

bakingmom

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:21 am
I used to wear one on my left wrist, until I developed an allergic reaction to it and had to stop wearing it. I felt so lost without it, but every watch that I tried (metal, plastic, leather, hypoallergenic) gave me a reaction and I just got used to looking at the clocks all over my house.

I hate that I don't wear one and cannot tell the time when out and about without my phone, so I recently (after about 8 years without wearing one) got a new watch that I can tolerate for short amounts of time which I sometimes wear.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:44 am
I wear a Fitbit daily on my left hand which has a watch but am just as likely to check my phone. In the hospital, I also wear a face watch for things like taking pulse or counting respirations or bowel sounds. The face watch is sometimes on my hand with the Fitbit but also I sometimes wear it on my name tag thingy.

On occasion when I forgot the watch with a face, I used my phone’s stop watch for counts but it’s easier with a watch.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 11:22 am
I love watches but for some reason they always break on me.
So I get one, wear it (Righty, on my left hand) for as long as it lasts, then last without a watch for the next year or so until I get another one.
I remember I once cracked one that was quite expensive, a day after it was bought, by banging it in the doorpost by mistake. Banging on doorpost is not covered by warranty.
My latest watch, bought 4 months ago- cheap this time- is currently being repaired as it was still under warranty.

essie14

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 11:55 am
I have always worn a watch since a I was a pre-teen. I feel naked without it.
I got a FitBit years ago and have been upgrading as necessary, and on Shabbat I wear a dressier watch.
I am right handed and wear it on my left.

agreer

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:16 pm
I love my watch! I feel like something is missing when I don't wear it.

I'm a righty, so I wear my watch on my left hand. It is simple, metal. I can't do leather bands because I sweat and they break.

This watch that I am currently wearing is at least 7 years old. I will wear it till it breaks or till the face is so scratched that I can't read the time, which I hope is never. I'll keep changing the batteries till then.

I got a pedometer that is simple. I love it. I tried fake fitbits and I just don't see the need...

DrMom

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:18 pm
I always wear a watch on my left wrist. I love watches. They are functional accessories.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 12:19 pm
I used to wear a watch at work basically daily. Then I switched to having a smartphone in 2015 and I stopped without even noticing. I still have a pile of my old watches somewhere but their batteries are all dead.
I did buy 2 decorative ones for Shabbat since then but ended up not wearing them either. On Shabbat I just look at the wall clocks at home or in shul or other people's houses.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics