Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mom, what is AI? School is educating....
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:53 pm
Now I feel naive. What were the risqué things I could have asked Tell Me besides the weather 😂.

giftedmom

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:57 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Now I feel naive. What were the risqué things I could have asked Tell Me besides the weather 😂.

Same. Here I was, combing through the Chumash and Sefer ha chinuch when all along I could’ve just called.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 7:20 pm
I don’t understand the himmel geshrei. I have spoken to my kids about unsafe hotlines before this whole AI thing broke. I told them that there are many people out there who have silly or dangerous ideas and they make hotlines where people can listen, And it’s a good idea to check with me before they call a new number so I can see if it’s safe or interesting for kids their age.
My kids don’t have the sense to delete the call history either so I do flip through quickly every few days to see if there are any weird or new numbers to be aware of. If they did have the sense to delete I would check my history online, no biggie. So far no issues. They know they can ask me anything and they know I’m not there to give them petch either. I just want to keep them safe and they are deeply aware of this, BH.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:41 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Yeah, LOL LOL LOL

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not talking about teenagers! I'm talking about lower elementary aged kids. Their TEACHER told them that there's a phone number and gave them a full education about AI. To 8, 9, 10 year olds.
This wouldn't prevent them from calling. If something, it will make them call.
We all survived tell me and cha cha without teachers and schools EVER bringing it up. That's probably why we survived it, because the schools didn't educate us about it.

I don't think you get what AI. Its far more than a phone number.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
I don't think you get what AI. Its far more than a phone number.

I know. This isn't the point of this thread at all.
It is still not the teachers position to educate and inform young kids about this.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know. This isn't the point of this thread at all.
It is still not the teachers position to educate and inform young kids about this.

You haven't articulated why other than if they tell them about chatGPT they will use chatGPT.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:38 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
You haven't articulated why other than if they tell them about chatGPT they will use chatGPT.

So not the same. Many kids don’t have access to devices with random apps but all kids have access to phones with a call feature.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
So not the same. Many kids don’t have access to devices with random apps but all kids have access to phones with a call feature.

Whats not the same?

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:51 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Whats not the same?

Chat gpt and hotlines

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:57 pm
I don't understand why you haven't educated your kids yet, if you want it to come from you. You have to be proactive when there's something like that trending.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:01 pm
I really don't understand this AI hysteria.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:02 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Chat gpt and hotlines

There is this https://www.edgilearning.com/ which isn't ChatGPT (as a brand) - but its functionally the same thing - and kids can access it on phones.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
There is this https://www.edgilearning.com/ which isn't ChatGPT (as a brand) - but its functionally the same thing - and kids can access it on phones.

Ok great, this is what we’re talking about on this thread. AI means artificial intelligence. There’s a million different things you can do with it. Apparently one of them is a phone line , which chassidish Mosdos are freaking out about right now, because there’s no way for them to ban this. So now they’re actually forced to look at the root of the issue and find a solution . Which, shockingly, is not “let’s jump to ban every new trend”. But instead of doing that, they’re fear mongering and trying to freak people out. So so dumb.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
I don't understand why you haven't educated your kids yet, if you want it to come from you. You have to be proactive when there's something like that trending.

Why is there a need to educate young kids (7-10) about this? Kids that aren't exposed to much technology in general? They wouldn't know about it if the school's wouldn't make such a big deal about it. The hysteria coming from the schools, does more harm then good for the kids.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why is there a need to educate young kids (7-10) about this? Kids that aren't exposed to much technology in general? They wouldn't know about it if the school's wouldn't make such a big deal about it. The hysteria coming from the schools, does more harm then good for the kids.

My 8 year old has been listening to hotlines for over a year now, so yes I had to educate him somewhat. He listens to the 2-3 yiddish kid ones , but once in a while a kid on his bus will give him a new number to try. So we spoke about being safe with the phone. It wasn’t a whole big formal sit down talk with me scaring the **** out of him.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 10:40 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Ok great, this is what we’re talking about on this thread. AI means artificial intelligence. There’s a million different things you can do with it. Apparently one of them is a phone line , which chassidish Mosdos are freaking out about right now, because there’s no way for them to ban this. So now they’re actually forced to look at the root of the issue and find a solution . Which, shockingly, is not “let’s jump to ban every new trend”. But instead of doing that, they’re fear mongering and trying to freak people out. So so dumb.

I suspect that's what they are talking about at the moment..

I'm well aware of what AI is.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 11:26 pm
I feel so uninformed.

What hotline has anything to do with AI or ChatGPT etc?

Im such a dinosaur.

lucky14

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 3:18 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
I feel so uninformed.

What hotline has anything to do with AI or ChatGPT etc?
Im such a dinosaur.

I feel like this must be an issue in specific communities. I’ve never heard of what they are talking about.

snailmail

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 2:23 pm
I am still not getting what all the uproar is about.
Isn't this the same as a kid calling any random number, or if there was any phone line to answer any question. What is the difference if there is a person at the other end or if it is an automated machine, or if it is an AI. How did you stop your kids from calling random or 'premium' numbers? Do you sit them down and tell them there are strangers who call up random numbers with heavy breathing etc.
There are crazy things out there in the world, unless I am missing something, AI phone numbers seems like the least of the issues. The school should not be feeding them open paths to the outside world.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics