Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The mystery of the missing checks
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:39 pm
I work for an institution on a freelance basis. I am not on payroll. Rather, I submit an invoice every two months or so, and they send me a check by mail.

Today, I sent in an invoice, and then messaged the person who does the billing to let her know that I still have not received payment on the last two invoices.

She replied saying that the first of those invoices was, in fact, deposited on March 6th, and cleared from their account.

Confused, I went back to check my online bank account and could not find a record of that check. I checked the date, and I checked all the days before and after.

I told her that it's strange but I don't see it.

She sent me a screenshot of her computer showing the check, and the endorsement on the back (just numbers, no signature.)

I checked my account again and again, to no avail.

Then she told me that the previous check was deposited into the same account as this missing check. She said if I find the previous check, I know for sure it went into the same account.

And guess what? I could not find that check either. I am able to see every check prior to that one. But I don't see these two checks which, according to her records, were deposited into the same account.

I must have checked 10 times. I also checked my emails because I generally deposit checks through my phone, and then receive an email about it. But I can see no record of either of those checks.

I have no recollection of receiving them, but that doesn't mean much because I wouldn't necessarily remember one way or another.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

cnc

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:42 pm
Can you check what account number it was deposited into and cashed?

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:42 pm
Does your husband have a separate account?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:44 pm
Check theft is a pretty common crime. Is it possible someone stole it and deposited it? Either from your mailbox or along the way. We have a crooked post office in our area that for some reason the FBI can't manage to deal with, so I'm careful to mail checks only from specific post offices.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:44 pm
cnc wrote:
Can you check what account number it was deposited into and cashed?

How would I do that?
I figured my next step is to call the bank, or maybe go there in person.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:45 pm
Did they mail it to the wrong address?

Did they direct deposit it to the wrong account?

Sounds like the money was stolen, and it sounds like their mistake.

I had that happen once and my employer issued me a new check. I don’t know if they got the money back but it was their problem, not mine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:45 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Does your husband have a separate account?

No, he doesn't. We have a separate joint account. I checked that one as well, it's not there.

ysydmom

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:46 pm
Switch to direct deposit asap

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
How would I do that?
The bank can’t do that. The payroll lady you spoke with needs to tell you what account it is in.

mom24b

amother OP wrote:
I work for an institution on a freelance basis. I am not on payroll. Rather, I submit an invoice every two months or so, and they send me a check by mail.

Today, I sent an an invoice, and then messaged the person who does the billing to let her know that I still have not received payment on the last two invoices.

She replied saying that the first of those invoices was, in fact, deposited on March 6th, and cleared from their account.

Confused, I went back to check my online bank account and could not find a record of that check. I checked the date, and I checked all the days before and after.

I told her that it's strange but I don't see it.

She sent me a screenshot of her computer showing the check and the endorsement on the back (just numbers, no signature.)

I checked my account again and again, to no avail.

Then she told me that the previous check was deposited into the same account as this missing check. She said if I find the previous check, I know for sure it went into the same account.

And guess what? I could not find that check either. I am able to see every check prior to that one. But I don't see these two checks which, according to her records, were deposited into the same account.

I must have checked 10 times. I also checked my emails because I generally deposit checks through my phone, and then receive an email about it. But I can see no record of either of those checks.

I have no recollection of receiving them , but that doesn't mean much because I wouldn't necessarily remember one way or another.
Can anyone help me figure this out?

Do you live in Brooklyn (possibly midwood area). Do you happen to bank at chase? There’s been a major bank scam going on since pesach time. I know many ppl whose checks were stolen and then cashed in someone else’s account using fake ID. It’s too complicated to write it all out here. If you live in that area message me. There’s been a lot of checks being stolen and using it in bank fraud.

amother
Tulip

amother OP wrote:
How would I do that?

What's the endorsement on the back? Yoi mentioned there were numbers there? Are those numbers your bank account?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:48 pm
ysydmom wrote:
Switch to direct deposit asap
So they can direct deposit it in the wrong account? That’s what happened to me

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:49 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Did they mail it to the wrong address?

Did they direct deposit it to the wrong account?

Sounds like the money was stolen, and it sounds like their mistake.

I had that happen once and my employer issued me a new check. I don’t know if they got the money back but it was their problem, not mine.

They have my address. They mailed me other checks. It's on the invoice.

If the check was stolen, what are the odds that the thief found two checks , mailed weeks apart. I'm not aware of any other checks missing. On the other hand, I rarely receive checks. Most people pay me electronically.

Crazy to think that the post office stole it...

Question is, why would it be their mistake? If rhey indeed mailed it to my house, and the check is stolen en route, who takes the fall?

amother
White

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:50 pm
How can she know for sure which bank account the check was deposited into?

I would have her get more info from her bank.
A copy of the front of the check etc.

Do you usually sign the checks? Does the image she shows you match the back of the checks you know you deposited?

At work we just had someone change check names and deposit them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:50 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
The bank can’t do that. The payroll lady you spoke with needs to tell you what account it is in.

She sent me a screenshot. I can see the numbers on the back of the check.

mom24b

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:51 pm
Ask payroll in your office to see who deposited it. They should be able to see that information. If you are in Flatbush area I suspect you maybe a victim of bank fraud and your company likely is as well. If you live in Brooklyn then ask payroll department to look at the cashed check - who signed it and what account number was it deposited into. Even if it is signed with your name on back ask her to send you a copy/screenshot to check if it’s your signature or a forgery. In many of these cases they will go in posing as you with a fake ID using their picture but your name and information, signing your name on back of check and cashing it …. Please be sure to have someone from payroll show you the signed check

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

If the check was stolen, what are the odds that the thief found two checks , mailed weeks apart. I'm not aware of any other checks missing. On the other hand, I rarely receive checks. Most people pay me electronically.

Question is, why would it be their mistake? If rhey indeed mailed it to my house, and the check is stolen en route, who takes the fall?

Well it could have been stolen from your mailbox, or if it was an inside job, then by a postal worker. I think the bank will give you your money back, but it's not a simple process.

mom24b

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
She sent me a screenshot. I can see the numbers on the back of the check.

Is the check signed? Are the numbers on the back your account number? Go look on your bank statement and see if a check for that amount on that date was cashed . Not deposited but cashed. Meaning your check was stolen they went into your bank gave your account number, used fake ID and cashed it - would say on deposit slip of your statement cash back. (I’m guessing it’s Chase bank because this is where it’s been happening) .

amother
Lemonchiffon

amother OP wrote:

Hmm great question. Mine was sent to the wrong person because they had an issue with their payroll system.

Sunny Days

amother OP wrote:

You can sign up to usps and get an email every morning with images of your mail- this way you can see if you’re missing something that was supposed to be delivered that day.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics