Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Am I allowed to turn knob on crockpot on yt?



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

newbie613




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 3:42 pm
Am I allowed to turn it to low on yom tov? There’s only a knob, no panel/display.
Back to top

Plonis




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 3:49 pm
No, not according to mainstream poskim.
Back to top

happy7




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 3:49 pm
It’s not permitted. The way the crock pot works is that there are clicks and it’s different settings. You are actually turning it off and then on again when you go from one setting to another.
(Versus just turning up a fire.)
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 3:51 pm
No.
You can either keep the crockpot on the whole 2 days with water in the crock until you need to use it (so crock doesn't crack from the heat with nothing in it).
Or you can set the crockpot on timer, since you are allowed to remove a pin when the crock is on, to make sure it stays on.
Back to top

pause




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 4:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
No.
You can either keep the crockpot on the whole 2 days with water in the crock until you need to use it (so crock doesn't crack from the heat with nothing in it).
Or you can set the crockpot on timer, since you are allowed to remove a pin when the crock is on, to make sure it stays on.

AFAIK you can only do that on YT, not on Shabbos. AYLOR
Back to top

newbie613




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 4:12 pm
I wanted to turn it from high to low. Not turn it on completely.
Back to top

newbie613




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 4:13 pm
Ty all!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 4:15 pm
pause wrote:
AFAIK you can only do that on YT, not on Shabbos. AYLOR

The pin gets removed when you're preparing the cholent, which is always before shabbos.

But there are those that hold a pin on an A/C can be removed on shabbos (could be what you're stating has to do with cooking).
Back to top

pause




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 25 2023, 4:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The pin gets removed when you're preparing the cholent, which is always before shabbos.

But there are those that hold a pin on an A/C can be removed on shabbos (could be what you're stating has to do with cooking).


Removing a pin so that something shouldn't turn on is different than removing a pin so that the device should stay on for longer. YT is different from Shabbos. And cooking is different than maintaining a comfortable room temperature, especially if there are elderly or babies.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Am I allowed to sell something that someone gave to me?
by amother
22 Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:37 pm View last post
Is this true in a treif Atlanta Bagel Shop: No Jews Allowed 6 Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:25 am View last post
Crockpot pulled chicken
by amother
7 Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:58 pm View last post
Warming up pans INSIDE crockpot?
by amother
5 Fri, Jun 14 2024, 10:10 am View last post
Am I allowed to buy second hand jewelry on Ebay?
by mirror
8 Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:04 pm View last post