Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Glass cup with lit neir(onim) inside suddenly shattered!

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 9:53 pm
I was in bed, but not yet sleeping last night when I heard the tinkling sound of breaking glass. I checked the lecht and saw that one of the glasses had broken with such force that even though it was in the back of a high shelf, the broken glass managed to come forward and land on the floor! The base of the glass cup still remained and the candle was still lit! Hodu l'hashem that nothing worse happened but now I'm scared of what could have been. I've been using glass cups with neironim + a bit of oil for more than 15 years. These cups were purchased for pesach (every year I buy new ones for pesach since I was them in my chometz dishwasher).

Any ideas what could have caused that??

Kumphort

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:01 pm
Was the wick straight up? Or was it possible the wick was leaning on the glass. We’ve had it happen before

amother
Purple

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:02 pm
I cannot believe I saw this tonight!!!! The same thing happened to us last night. We had gone up at 12:30 from our meal and this morning, the glass was shattered. (There had been a small flame still lit.). This is terrible! The company must be reached out to. Also purchased for pesach.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:06 pm
This happened to me last year. I was told it’s because If you don’t pop out the grey piece left from the previous nights candle then the whole thing tilts and the wick touches the glass and makesIt too hot. So we designate a spoon and use the end of it to pry out the grey thing before putting in the second nights candle. Hope that makes sense !

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:16 pm
I had it happen when the candle was slanty and the wick touched the glass. Scary but avoidable.

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:19 pm
Ever since I heard of this happening I stopped buying the glass ones, I stick with metal only.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:22 pm
As a side point, do not wash them in the dishwasher. The wax will accumulate in the filter and wreck the machine

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:26 pm
Happened many times to me. If you don't take out the metal piece it can happen.

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:26 pm
I've had it happen too

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 10:42 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Ever since I heard of this happening I stopped buying the glass ones, I stick with metal only.

I've never seen metal! Where do you buy those?

lucky14

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:10 pm
To those of you who this happened to- did you leave the metal piece in from the night before?

Curious if what others are saying could be the cause is possible correct.

lucky14

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've never seen metal! Where do you buy those?

I think she thought you were talking about the memorial candles.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:21 pm
lucky14 wrote:
To those of you who this happened to- did you leave the metal piece in from the night before?

Curious if what others are saying could be the cause is possible correct.

Yes, I remove the silver disc on motzei shabbos, but on second day Yom tov I just drop in a new candle. Now I know... Appreciate all the feedback!
Still strange that I've never had this before (many y"t over 15 years), and out of 5 candles only happened to 1, but easy enough to remedy.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:22 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I think she thought you were talking about the memorial candles.

People use those for regular lecht each week??? Never heard of that.

lucky14

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
People use those for regular lecht each week??? Never heard of that.

Noooo. But to use to light candles on the second day of yom tov. It’s the only thing I could think that she could mean.

cbsp

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 11:33 pm
We've had this happen and it's super scary.

We didn't have a second metal tab in the cup. However, the cup had been knocked off the candlestick the week before. It didn't look broken at all (had only fallen to the tray) so we used it again. Maybe had a crackline that we just didn't see...

The other time it happened the wick had been up against the glass the previous week.

boat

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 12:32 am
Sounds too common!

What did you all do...did the flame go out? Did it start a fire? Were any of you sleeping at the time?

Also what brand ..?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:50 am
I decided a few years ago that the easiest thing to use is tea lights. I use metal tea light holders with my silver candlesticks. They might not be as pretty but they are safe and convenient.

happy chick

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 9:27 am
like others have said, it most likely happened because the metal piece was still in from the night before so the new candle wasn't standing straight. in my mothers house, we used to take out the metal piece with pliers, so we couldn't do it on yom tov. my mother had 2 sets of the glasses so we could switch them out for the second night. the only problem was when it was a 3 day yom tov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note