Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Minute Roast
1  2  Next

curlytop

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 12:10 am
I bought a minute roast for Shabbos, figured I'd try something new.
Now I have no idea how to cook it.
Its a little over 2 lbs.

Anyone?

curlytop

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 11:51 am
anyone??

Rivky

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 12:01 pm
Sorry, no clue What

curlytop

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 4:11 pm
Wow can it be I am the only one here that buys minute roast?
Now, if only I could remember what I did with it last time, we'd be OK.
Yea, I'm a little late, but at least it will be fresh for Shabbos.

Any ideas, ppl?

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 4:50 pm
I usually buy minute roast in steaks ... then I put soy sauce, fresh garlic cloves, sliced onions, black pepper and garlic powder ... cook it up in a pan on the stove top ...

the was I serve it is with a side of french-cut string beans and sweet potatoe ... nice colour palate

you should be able to put it in a pan in the oven and spice it the same way ... cook for 2 hours or so ...

curlytop

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 5:16 pm
Yea, so I threw some duck sauce on, fresh garlic, onions, and spices and stuck it in the oven.
At least next time I will be able to remember what I did!
I think I'll try and slice it when its almost ready, then add minced garlic/onion, but we'll see if I end up having time for that.
Thanks Greenfire!

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 5:28 pm
no problemo Mr. Green
totally take it out before it's ready ... let it cool a bit ... then slice it (cause it's easier that way) ... then finish cooking in the sauces ...

curlytop

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:40 pm
BTW it was reallllly good.
Didnt have time to slice/ reheat but it was delish nonetheless.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:45 pm
I'm glad - got any leftovers Mr. Green

curlytop

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:46 pm
sure, cmon over... it was way too big... like 3 1/2 lbs for 4 adults.

soldat

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:48 pm
sorry I didn't see this b/4 you needed it
I love this cut - I always slice an onion and poor red wine over it and roast it for about 3 hours covered

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:48 pm
well usually I have shabbos leftovers - I guess the gang was hungry What

fantabulous

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 4:11 pm
bump

any other recipes?

newToNeighborhood

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 4:56 pm
My mother makes minute steak every week and it comes out so good. It's best made in a roaster. This is what she does (and what I do the few times I've made it):

peel and cut up red potatoes in large pieces. place them on the bottom of pan. peel and cut sweet potatoes (I only cut them in half and place them on the side of the pan. sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika and rub in the spices. Put string beans on top, then roast on top of that- fatty side up. sprinkle roast with garlic powder and paprika and rub in the spices. Put about a 1/2 inch of water on bottom of pan (so you get gravy and nothing burns). Cook covered at 400 for 2-3 hours until you can put a fork in it and it looks like you want to eat it. Also, be generous with the spices. If you buy a good piece of meat, then there's no way to mess it up.

cookie

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:55 pm
I slice a lemon and onion under the roast, spice it with garlic powder, some garlic cubes and paprika and pour acup of white wine over it. bake it covered and then uncovered. strain the sauce for a great gravy!!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 8:28 pm
looking for more minute roast recipes, please. . .

curlytop, in case you happen to remember- does your recipe come out sweet, or is it more meaty?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 8:36 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

curlytop, in case you happen to remember- does your recipe come out sweet, or is it more meaty?

I have a delicious savory stovetop recipe. You need turkey drumsticks to add to the pot to make the meat more moist and flavorful. And also time to marinate the roast for a day before cooking it.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 8:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I have a delicious savory stovetop recipe. You need turkey drumsticks to add to the pot to make the meat more moist and flavorful. And also time to marinate the roast for a day before cooking it.

I'm making it for shabbos, so I can start the marinating tomorrow. Would you mind posting it? So far I've had lots of success with your recipes Very Happy

Oh, are the turkey drumsticks a must? I already did my shopping, and the roast itself cost a fortune. . .

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 8:53 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I'm making it for shabbos, so I can start the marinating tomorrow. Would you mind posting it? So far I've had lots of success with your recipes Very Happy

Oh, are the turkey drumsticks a must? I already did my shopping, and the roast itself cost a fortune. . .

If you have fresh garlic in the house, you can start marinating tonight. It takes seconds.
As for the drumsticks, I really recommend it. It make a big difference. You only need one or two, depending on the size of the roast. I think they're less than $2 each. I have an extra one in the freezer. Come take it from me. Smile

3 lb roast
8 cloves crushed garlic
1 Tbsp Kosher salt (less if using table salt)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 turkey drumsticks
1 parsnip, peeled

Rub the roast with lots of crushed garlic, coarse salt, and some olive oil. Marinate it in a bag, in the fridge, for 24 hours.

Saute onions in pot. (Use a size appropriate pot which will just fit the roast and drumstick/s. No bigger. Very important step.) Lower heat to lowest setting. Place roast in pot. Allow roast to change color on all sides for about an hour. (Should not brown, just change color on super low setting.) Add water to pot to almost cover. Add 2 drumsticks and a parsnip, to keep roast moist and give flavor.
Cook up, then lower heat and simmer for about an hour. (More if roast is larger than 3 lbs.)
Allow roast to cool completely in pot with cooking liquid. Then wrap roast in foil, and place in frige. Reserve cooking liquid in container in the fridge.
When roast is completely cold, slice it. Place in fridge or freezer.
Before serving, place slices in reserved cooking liquid, and heat.

Optional: Heat your favorite homemade or storebought sauce and serve roast drizzled with sauce. Or serve sauce on the side. (I usually place some warm sauce on each plate in a little disposable whiskey cup, and some people eat the roast as is, while others drizzle or dip their roast in the sauce.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:06 pm
thanks ra! just trying to figure out what kind of sauce would complement it. . . any speicifc suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics