Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ideas to instil love of judiasm

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:38 pm
I have a 14 year old daughter that is struggling. What ideas do you have that can help instil a love for yidishkeit in her? I recently started sending her to the store on Friday to buy special shabbos party and she looks forward to that. I'm looking for more ideas. Tia

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jun 15 2023, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:44 am
Have a kumzitz Friday night
Learn with her
Read from interesting sefarim with stories at the Shabbos table
Put on funny or inspiring shiurim in the house, like R Fishel Shachter and R Pesach Krohn
Talk about bitachon concepts within everyday life in a natural way, not forced
Ask thought provoking questions at the Shabbos table to start discussions
Late night conversations
Show her that you yourself are inspired by valuing davening, learning, mitzvos etc
Tell a story about something that inspired you

amother
Orange

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:57 am
Reach her in her way. If she's an intellectual, learn with her or get her into some good podcast shiurim, maybe something beyond what her school offers.

If she's social, then spending time with role models can be a good thing. Etc.

There's little point in talking emunah to her if she finds it simplistic, and there's little point in deep learning if she's more emotionally oriented. Respect her for who she is, and she'll find her own way forward.

seeker

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:02 am
Would she be interested in joining something like chillzone or ncsy?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:04 am
What do you mean by 'struggling?' Is she experiencing a desire for something she is having trouble achieving--in other words, struggling--or is she simply not where you want/expect her to be? These are very different things.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 7:54 am
Is there a way to get her invested in the process like cooking and baking with you or making something for the table like a challah cover you can use every week? Is she interested in learning with you or dh on some aspect of Shabbos or yontiff? Does she have friends she can invite to your home? Is there a family aspect she enjoys like game time on long Shabbosim? I'm so sorry that your dd is having a hard time. I hope that if you keep surrounding her with love and support she will find meaning and value in your Jewish home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics