Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
“Heavenly” and food
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:25 am
Anyone else annoyed by this comparison. I keep reading it on imamother recipes.

Don’t think any food should be called heaven. Physical Pleasure is the opposite of spiritual satisfaction/connection—according to BaalhaTanya running after physical pleasure numbs the soul. Anyone can explain this further?

dankbar

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:08 am
Chassidish teaching is based on elevating the physical to ruchniyus.

Has nothing to do with expression just a by the way thought

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:33 am
Chill, lady. Like calling someone a malach because they did you a favor, it's a figure of speech called "hyperbole. " Look it up.

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:45 am
Not to mention that physical pleasure IS a value in Yiddishkeit. We are not ascetics and we actually criticize ascetics. A Nazir at the end of his nezirut brings a Korban Chatat, not because he sinned in ending his nezirut but because he engaged in it in the first place, thus depriving himself of a physical pleasure--wine--that the KBH made available and permitted to humankind. Furthermore, the Gemara tells us that after 120, we will be required to account for all the physical pleasures we did not take advantage of. They are a gift from the KBH and rejecting them is like throwing His gift back in His face. Within reason of course--we don't advocate overindulgence--and elevated through blessings and other mitzvot, but physical pleasures nonetheless.

Rebesq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:16 am
Let’s be real. The girls in yeshivish community (of which im a part)calls everything heaven! “I loooove your outfit, it’s heaven”, “these cookies are heaven” I even had a daughter’s friend gush - “Mrs C, I loooove your daughter? she just heaven”. I assume May he same in chassidish circles but I’m just guessing. I try very hard to make my girls replace that adjective with anything remotely appropriate

tweety1

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:56 am
Omg! My girls! It's the new style sort of. Everything is heaven. I asked them if they know what heaven is. They started laughing. I told them ain't funny. It's gets me sooo nervous. Food? Heaven. Cute baby? Heaven. Gorgeous outfit? Heaven. 🤣🤣

pinkpeonies

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:00 am
And Nu?
For my girls everything is heaven. For my boys everything is epic
That’s how kids talk today, I guarantee you that you have a different vernacular than your parents

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:01 am
thegiver wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by this comparison. I keep reading it on imamother recipes.

Don’t think any food should be called heaven. Physical Pleasure is the opposite of spiritual satisfaction/connection—according to BaalhaTanya running after physical pleasure numbs the soul. Anyone can explain this further?

There’s a huge difference between hedonism and enjoyment of life and food. How awful to live a dull, grey life when hashem gave us so much colour, flavour and choice.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Mon, May 29 2023, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:02 am
It annoys me too, because heaven is so much better than a plate of food.

hodeez

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:03 am
Meh it's just ashki vernacular. My little Sephardi girls call everything heaven and stunning, they obviously picked it up in school.

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:11 am
I don’t really think of “Heaven” as an equivalent term to “Gan Eden/Olam Haba”, so it doesn’t bother me.

heaven/hell in the popular vernacular aren’t connected to the Jewish concepts of Gan Eden/Gehimnom, and so throwing them around doesn’t mean anything deeper than “awesome/awful”, in a vernacular that is secular with Xtian undertones.

When I say “war is hell” or even “being stuck in bureaucratic red tape is hell”, those are both using a very Xtian idea of the place.

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:45 am
Reminds me of an irate letter writer to the Binah saying that "muffins are not divine, only Hashem is divine" so now that's a running joke in my family.

I understand "it tastes heaven" or whatever, but it really makes me scratch my head when I hear people say "she's a heaven person".

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:11 pm
You can say the same about "awesome " which should refer to Hashem.

You made on the toilet? Awesome!

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:43 pm
mandr wrote:
Reminds me of an irate letter writer to the Binah saying that "muffins are not divine, only Hashem is divine" so now that's a running joke in my family.

I understand "it tastes heaven" or whatever, but it really makes me scratch my head when I hear people say "she's a heaven person".

Next, someone is bound to post "babies are not delicious; only food is delicious."

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:47 pm
zaq wrote:
Next, someone is bound to post "babies are not delicious; only food is delicious."

I think there was already a thread about that!!

Miri1

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:56 pm
Heaven doesn’t bother me.
But it irks me to read about a decadent Shavuos cheesecake. Like maybe it is decadent but why is decadence a something to openly strive for on Shavuos?

Edited for typo

Last edited by Miri1 on Mon, May 29 2023, 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:57 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Heaven doesn’t bother me.
But it irks me to read about a decadent Shavuos cheesecake. Like maybe it is decadent but why is decadence a something to be openly strive for on Shavuos?

I don't openly strive for luscious or rich either on Shavuos, why does that even matter?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:24 pm
zaq wrote:

There was a thread about babies being yummy at some point.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:41 pm
The only problem I have with the usage is that heaven is a noun! Heavenly is an adjective. If you're going to describe something, at least use an adjective.

Miri1

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:13 pm
mandr wrote:
I don't openly strive for luscious or rich either on Shavuos, why does that even matter?

Luscious and rich sounds great.
Decadent is a negative description, it implies a grotesque and hedonistic level of indulgence.
You can’t raise up the gashmius through decadence.
I just think it’s an incongruous word choice for a Shavuos delicacy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics