Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Did I make a (kashrut) mistake?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:25 pm
Posting anonymously because I am really embarrassed....

I made a PAREVE dessert for Shavuos using a (new) product which has a good hechsher. Only thing is because of my bad eyesight, I didn't see it said DE written in extremely small letters; admittedly, I was in a rush getting everything done and things were flying that day. I only noticed it now when I went to throw away the package into the recycling.

I used my PAREVE keilim and baked it in my PAREVE only oven and then washed all the dishes later. So basically, did I screw up and make things dairy (keilim/oven/food) or is everything still pareve? I know theoretically, things should still be pareve.

I have NEVER used anything marked DE therefore my confusion.

I know, I know....AYLOR. Just wondering before I have to ask.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:26 pm
Pretty sure it's fine. DE means just don't use directly with meat. But ask your LOR.

Trademark

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:27 pm
If DE means dairy equipment, then it should be completely parve.

The only restriction is something is made with DE is that should not be eaten with fleishigs.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:40 pm
Thanks, ladies. As I thought, it should have pareve status (just not to be eaten at same time as fleishigs).

By extraction, another question: I gather it cannot be served later, after the yom tov/shabbos meal, on a non ben yomo fleishig plate, correct? The dessert is cold.

I REALLY don't like this DE thing. LOL.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:49 pm
Technically, technically, technically you can serve cold milchig on a fleishig plate and it would be totally kosher. Definitely not recommended though.
So serving this on a fleishig plate is fine.

Basically don't use crushed Oreos to coat your chicken but eating it for dessert after your chicken on a fleishig plate would be totally ok.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:48 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Technically, technically, technically you can serve cold milchig on a fleishig plate and it would be totally kosher. Definitely not recommended though.
So serving this on a fleishig plate is fine.

Basically don't use crushed Oreos to coat your chicken but eating it for dessert after your chicken on a fleishig plate would be totally ok.

Funny that you wrote that because a few years ago when my son was learning in Lakewood he called me excitedly to say, in name of his Halacha Rebbe who is a major posek, that Oreos are actually totally parve and you can put them in your cholent!

Moonlight

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, ladies. As I thought, it should have pareve status (just not to be eaten at same time as fleishigs).

By extraction, another question: I gather it cannot be served later, after the yom tov/shabbos meal, on a non ben yomo fleishig plate, correct? The dessert is cold.

I REALLY don't like this DE thing. LOL.

Totally CAN serve DE as dessert for meat meal. Just not together at same time

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:27 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Funny that you wrote that because a few years ago when my son was learning in Lakewood he called me excitedly to say, in name of his Halacha Rebbe who is a major posek, that Oreos are actually totally parve and you can put them in your cholent!

I have a similar story. Local kashrus Rav, who works for one of the big 4, was asked about a DE sauce and apparently when pestered enough told the person he could put it on his hamburger if he really wanted to. It’s a difference of opinion on Nat bar nat between the Shulchan Aruch (holds DE is 100% pareve) and the Rema (holds it cannot be eaten with meat but immediately after and can even be cooked in fleishig keilim). Felt like too much of a slippery slope to me to really get into it with the Rav on how it could be permissible to put it on meat, but the men were all a-titter with the news that Shabbos.

happy7

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:36 pm
This is not about milchig/fleishig, but For many people who keep CY, DE is not acceptable. So if your guests keep CY, you should probably tell them

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:38 pm
happy7 wrote:
This is not about milchig/fleishig, but For many people who keep CY, DE is not acceptable. So if your guests keep CY, you should probably tell them

For what purpose? So they can atone?

amother
Broom

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised. If you look at some frummy brand cookies they say it’s made in a dairy something don’t remember the exact wording but that the status of the cookie is still pareve.
The way the wording was it really makes no sense about why we are worried about other products.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen