Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Setting up families for shabbos meals

amother1223

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:17 pm
Does your community shul set families or people who want to meet new people up for shabbos meals? I’m trying to start a new initiative in my community to set up families and looking for ideas of how streamline the process and come up with a way to collect the data and match up the families. I’m thinking Google docs etc. then there is the problem of if the people keep certain hechsherim etc. looking for ideas would appreciate any guidance. Thank you!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:34 pm
My shul has a "chessed committee" and people email or call the office saying they want to be hosted or want to host. I don't think there's any vetting either way. People who are picky about hechsherim wouldn't sign up to be hosted.

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:37 pm
My shul has a WhatsApp hosting chat

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:43 pm
If you have Google Docs, then people can be very specific about their requirements, and hosts able to fulfil them can invite accordingly.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 12:38 pm
Can you elaborate on the goal of this initiative? Is it for people who already live in Town X to meet each other and expand their social connections? Or is it for people who might be visiting Town X for medical, fun, business etc... who maybe need invitations? I think that makes a difference of how it will be set up.
Also, is this under the auspices of a shul, a different mosad, or just a nice idea that you want to do (this will also make a difference)

amother1223

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 12:48 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Can you elaborate on the goal of this initiative? Is it for people who already live in Town X to meet each other and expand their social connections? Or is it for people who might be visiting Town X for medical, fun, business etc... who maybe need invitations? I think that makes a difference of how it will be set up.
Also, is this under the auspices of a shul, a different mosad, or just a nice idea that you want to do (this will also make a difference)

Thank you for your question. The initiative is for families and community members to spend Shabbat together. It’s being spearheaded by the main shul, but we hope to include all the shuls in the neighborhood (6 other shuls). It’s for achdus, to get to meet new people, to have new experiences and for kavod shabbos- it’s hard when you’re a family of 5/6+ to get invited out so it’s for families who generally wouldn’t be invited out, or who would be hosting to have the opportunity to go out without the awkwardness of inviting yourself over

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:57 pm
Our greatest gedolim held that you can trust people who are completely Shomer Shabbos. The chumras people have in this genaration is a new thing.
We ourselves keep CY, Pas Yisrael, Yoshon.. but we eat by friends in our community on Shabbos and if they ask us what meat we eat I tell them if it's kosher for you it's kosher for me.

Good Friend

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:03 pm
Maybe instead of using Google docs use Airtable. It's a program that is good for keeping data and categorizing it in different ways- that way if someone has requirements like allergies, hechsherim, with/without children, etc you can easily filter the data to the relevant categories.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:05 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Our greatest gedolim held that you can trust people who are completely Shomer Shabbos. The chumras people have in this genaration is a new thing.
We ourselves keep CY, Pas Yisrael, Yoshon.. but we eat by friends in our community on Shabbos and if they ask us what meat we eat I tell them if it's kosher for you it's kosher for me.

What do you mean the chumras are a new thing? Aren’t the heters like chalav stam a new thing?

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:26 pm
Amothers, please lets not sidetrack the discussion about the best way for the OP to run this nice project. Please take your discussion elsewhere.

OP- in answer to your original question regarding hechsherim, my guess is that people who don't eat at the standard set by the Rabbi of the shul(s) won't be anyway participating, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. In general, I find that people who are makpid about "extras" in kashrus don't really eat out, so I think you can leave that out for now. If it becomes relevant later on, then you can add it in.

I have never heard of airtable, but it sounds like it has more database functionality than spreadsheet functionality and that ability is definitely better in this scenario.

Honestly, you are not really going to know what works without some trial and error, so see if this airtable can work for you and take it from there.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:35 pm
Side questions:
Is this just for larger families? Or is it to include smaller families or couples who do not get invited out or have Shabbos guests for various reasons? Seems like a nice idea and hopefully would encourage people to be more inclusive in the future. There are plenty of people who are alone , Shabbos after Shabbos, in a huge community. Great idea!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:32 pm
Sounds so nice.

There's lots of different nuances - like vegetables how well checked/ pas yisroel, gluten free, vegetarian too

Maybe adding a code next to each host family Veg and GF friendly. And number of people they can host how much advance notice etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note