Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Camp counselor pay?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:44 am
If you have a 14/15 yr old daughter working as a day camp counselor, how much is she being paid?

amother
Iris

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:51 am
Last year dd got $300 for 4 weeks. That’s less than minimum wage per hour Sad

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:54 am
I think $75-$100 a week is average
It's ridiculous since the wages haven't gone up in 20 years and you bet camp tuitions have.
It's worse for boys. My son was 15 last year and got $25 a week. He refuses to work this year because he said he felt like a slave

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:56 am
I was told in a backyard camp the rate is 10X their grade. Probably less in a real camp.
Yes it’s less than minimum wage but dd is treated well, she gets valuable work experience and she has no responsibility for planning, speaking to parents etc. Honestly, the teens work so that the parents don’t have to pay for camp both halves so it’s a win for me.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 8:57 am
$300-400 per month

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:03 am
amother Taupe wrote:
I was told in a backyard camp the rate is 10X their grade. Probably less in a real camp.
Yes it’s less than minimum wage but dd is treated well, she gets valuable work experience and she has no responsibility for planning, speaking to parents etc. Honestly, the teens work so that the parents don’t have to pay for camp both halves so it’s a win for me.

My two teens that work as counselors haven't gone to camp for a few years now, so it's not about saving $$ sending them but rather that they are doing something rather than sitting on the sofa with the phones all day. So in one sense even if they would work for free it wouldn't be a bad thing. But on the other hand they are working and they're both experienced and great with young kids and why shouldn't they be compensate fairly?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:03 am
I run a small OOT backyard camp and I paid my 8th grade worker $125 a week. I made up the price (didn't ask anyone) but that's what I felt was fair/worth it. It was basically the cost of tuition for one child in the camp. I was told I pay on the higher end.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:07 am
This is probably location dependent, but in Toronto ten years ago I got $600 a month. The government gives out grants which are tons of money but it was only for older teens, maybe 16, 17, and only certain camps got these grants. I did that for two years and made around $2300 for the whole summer.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:13 am
In big daycamp my 14yr old daughter is being paid $350/4weeks, hopefully will be getting a few tips as well.
In backyard camp I will be paying my 12yr old assistant $100/week (week hopefully be getting a few tips as well!)
Supposedly girls like to work in big daycamps because there are lots more counselors so it's more fun. They do have after camp activities for them a couple of times in the month, get treated to pizza/BBQ...

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:22 am
$225

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:25 am
amother Taupe wrote:

My kids go to camp one half and work the other half. It’s not about ME saving money. They work because that’s what THEY want to do. Who makes their kids work so they don’t have to pay for camp? I’ve never heard that.

keym

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:31 am
In the big day camps that my daughter worked in 14/15 year olds make $400/450 a month. Plus free bussing. 16/17 year olds make $500/600.
Not such great money, but a fun environment, plus they get to go on the trips, late nights, late swims (even if their bunk isn't doing the late night) and they get the slush, ice cream, etc.

In the backyard camps, 14/15 year olds make $100/$150 per week.
But really by 15/16, the girls are making their own backyard camps and they don't want to be assistants any more. Way more money than daycamp but way less fun.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:34 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
My kids go to camp one half and work the other half. It’s not about ME saving money. They work because that’s what THEY want to do. Who makes their kids work so they don’t have to pay for camp? I’ve never heard that.

Yes, agree. I should add that my girls WANT to do this and I am grateful that they want to do this, regardless of pay, because they'd be sitting around the house and letting their brains turn to mush otherwise. But since they are working I do think they deserve some fair compensation.

Last year their pay was ridiculously low, but they were first time counselors with zero experience. Now they are returning for 2nd year, plus have worked with children throughout the year running shul groups and babysitting, so I am encouraging them to request better pay.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 9:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, agree. I should add that my girls WANT to do this and I am grateful that they want to do this, regardless of pay, because they'd be sitting around the house and letting their brains turn to mush otherwise. But since they are working I do think they deserve some fair compensation.

Last year their pay was ridiculously low, but they were first time counselors with zero experience. Now they are returning for 2nd year, plus have worked with children throughout the year running shul groups and babysitting, so I am encouraging them to request better pay.

I hope they get it! With the amount we pay, you would think camps could afford to pay better. I guess the overhead is just too high.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 11:07 am
Ema of 5 wrote:

Your kids really wouldn't chose to go to sleepaway both halves if given the option? Or sleepaway one half, travel camp the other. Mine certainly would but since they know it's not happening and they don't want to be bored all day they get a job. That's nice that your kids that young are self motivated to work but many are not and choose to do so because it's the only good option.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:28 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Your kids really wouldn't chose to go to sleepaway both halves if given the option? Or sleepaway one half, travel camp the other. Mine certainly would but since they know it's not happening and they don't want to be bored all day they get a job. That's nice that your kids that young are self motivated to work but many are not and choose to do so because it's the only good option.

My son might, but then again he was very excited about the prospect of working all summer, before we found out his camp was in fact opening this summer. My daughter loves camp, but also wants to work. Maybe if given the option they would both want to go all summer, I really don’t know.
It could be as you say, but I don’t know anyone who frames it that way to their kids. I don’t know anyone who tells their kids that they have to work because the parents can’t afford to send them to camp all summer.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:41 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
My son might, but then again he was very excited about the prospect of working all summer, before we found out his camp was in fact opening this summer. My daughter loves camp, but also wants to work. Maybe if given the option they would both want to go all summer, I really don’t know.
It could be as you say, but I don’t know anyone who frames it that way to their kids. I don’t know anyone who tells their kids that they have to work because the parents can’t afford to send them to camp all summer.

Is this a site for kids? I’m talking to mothers here and I know many including myself who encourage their kids to work because it saves them money and I even know those who offer to pay backyard camps to give their kids a job because it costs them less than sending their kids to camp. Maybe it’s less common than I think but I know I’m not the only one.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

No, many kids do not want to go away the whole summer. I absolutely would not have chosen to go to sleepaway both halves or go to sleepaway + travel camp. One month away from home was enough for me (and is enough for many kids). Ome kids are just more introverted or like being in their own space at home.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:23 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Is this a site for kids? I’m talking to mothers here and I know many including myself who encourage their kids to work because it saves them money and I even know those who offer to pay backyard camps to give their kids a job because it costs them less than sending their kids to camp. Maybe it’s less common than I think but I know I’m not the only one.

I’m sorry, what? You asked a question and I answered. I would not have wanted to go to camp the entire summer. I went one half for two summers, and I absolutely hated it. I was thrilled to be able to work. It also gave me some of my own money to spend on myself.
I never said you’re the only one. I said I’ve never heard finances as a reason why kids get a job, and I don’t know anyone who frames it that way to their kids.
A little respect when talking to someone would be nice.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 2:51 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

Actually very common where I live. Teenagers go to camp for half a summer and are counselors for the other half because full summer camp is too expensive. They would definitely choose full summer camp if given the option.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics