Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
New to Backyard life

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:04 pm
We BH recently moved into a house with a backyard. I didn't grow up with a backyard so this is new to me and I'm trying to learn how to manage this. A few questions;
We can only access the yard through the kitchen which has white marble tile so every time the kids come inside they're tracking dirt everywhere. They've also totally destroyed their good sneakers. Do you have outdoor shoes that stay outside? Or how do you stop dirt from getting everywhere?
There are so many mosquitoes! My kids are all bitten up and they follow us inside too! What can I do?
If the yard is completely enclosed, there's no way in or out besides through the kitchen door unless you climb the fence, would you leave a 3 year old and 5 year old unattended while you go get the baby or help a kid in the bathroom? Or should I be bringing everyone inside each time?

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:07 pm
There are companies that spray for mosquitoes, it's a must. Get an mat for them to wipe their feet on and have them take their shoes off at the door. Don't buy white sneakers. We have a few gates so we can access the yard from a few sides. I would leave kids there for a minute or two while I run but not longer.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:08 pm
Can you put a shoe tray that stays by the back door so your kids can put their dirty shoes on it when they come in? I would also only let my kids play in a dirt area in natives.
You can have your yard professionally sprayed for mosquitos- you have to do it every so often but it is effective.
And yes I would leave a 3&5 year old on their own for a few minutes in a totally enclosed yard.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:08 pm
I sprayed my yard for mosquitos and ticks so don’t have much of a problem. Regarding leaving kids, I leave my 5 and 2 year old playing in the enclosed backyard all the time. They love it and I check on them constantly from my windows and go out every few minutes. Regarding shoes, they wear natives/floafers outside and I rinse them every night.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:11 pm
Mazel tov on the move!

We have backyard shoes aka old slides/ crocs

Keep a large rug at the door, outside if it's a covered are & train your kids to leave backyard shoes on the rug.

I would leave kids alone as long as you can hear them & poke your head our every couple minutes. Unless maybe if you're not in a safe neighborhood or there is an opening in the fence.

Mosquitoes are a really outdoors but you can try to reduce by avoiding any standing water. Anything that may collect rain water should be left upside down. There are also sprays you can attach to a water hose & spray down everything including plants. It helps quite well for a couple weeks but you're dealing with chemicals.

becky2345

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:13 pm
There's also a spray you can buy in home depot type of stores that you hook up to your hose to spray for mosquitoes on your own

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:18 pm
Get some artificial turf. you can vacuum the turf once a week. Put money into your yard and you will enjoy being outdoors

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:32 pm
Thank you! This was very helpful.
Our kitchen is tiny and I can't put a rug, but a rug and shoe tray outside will get rained on, any ideas for solving this?

What's the best non toxic way to spray for mosquitoes?

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 7:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! This was very helpful.
Our kitchen is tiny and I can't put a rug, but a rug and shoe tray outside will get rained on, any ideas for solving this?

What's the best non toxic way to spray for mosquitoes?

Outdoor rugs and shoe trays are meant to get rained on
After they sort for mosquitos there is a certain amount of time where you can’t touch the grass, then it’s fine
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry