Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My kids ignore me 😭
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:28 am
How much ignoring is normal? I have severe shalom bayis issues with dh. Lots of history and water under the bridge there. In general, he basically ignores most of what I say. If I make a comment or question to the room in general, he'll completely ignore me. If I speak to him directly, he will usually ignore me or blow me off, and maybe answer me passive aggressively after a few times. Often he'll imply that I have no right to make the question or comment in the first place.

I see my littler ones ignoring me a lot, specifically my 4 and 7 year olds. I often say things like "we don't ignore a mommy" or "we have to answer a mommy right away" but they still do it. It is the most frustrating thing, it feels like the power to parent has been taken away from me. Is it normal for kids to ignore to some degree, or is this coming completely from following their father's example? And how can I deal with it?

This thread would really belong in a safe haven / sub forum for women who choose to stay with abusive or checked out spouses by choice, if such a forum would exist, so please respond accordingly.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:33 am
It’s normal for kids to mimic such behavior. It’s an issue when they see you disrespected. Not sure what can be done about it. Would he be open to going to therapy to learn how to present a healthier front to the kids? I’m assuming not since he ignores you.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:42 am
My 4 year old also ignores me.. very very frustrating. And nothing to do with dh. It can be the simplest thing, like do you want a drink of water? We are not the only ones .. bec I just saw this meme

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:50 am
Please get help or get out. My dhlived through this. It’s severe abuse and your kids will end up being very messed up and most likely abusing their spouses or getting abused. Please don’t do this to yourself or your kids. If my father in law would drop dead I would be happy. (Except I don’t want to hurt dh and his siblings) and to this day I suffer terribly because of his fathers abuse . Your post is making me nauseous .

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:52 am
What you are describing op is not normal to this degree for kids that age in particular and is because they see their father doing this to you.
Please get help asap

LovesHashem

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:55 am
I know someone who stayed with someone like this. Only 1 out of her 8 kids talk to her. She wasn't even invited to some of their weddings.

They are all adults and most married now but they still obviously have trauma and issues due to their fathers abuse and many seeing their mother take the abuse learned they should do the same and therefore won't go to therapy or aknlowedge there's even anything wrong with their father.

The mother left when the youngest was a teen and she is the only one who is in touch with her mother and brings her into in her life.

I know you don't want judgment. But you need to know the possible ramifications of your actions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:01 am
So to clarify, we have gone for counseling many times and I myself am in therapy. Our marriage has ups and downs. I'm not going to go into the entire picture here, but the upshot is that it makes sense to stay. I would really appreciate not being judged for not breaking up my family. I wanted to know if the ignoring is to some degree normal, and either way, what I can do about it on my own.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:06 am
My kids ignore me and my shalom bayis is fine.
They are just usually busy doing what they’re doing and it’s too annoying for them to listen to me. Age 11 and down.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:43 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I know someone who stayed with someone like this. Only 1 out of her 8 kids talk to her. She wasn't even invited to some of their weddings.

They are all adults and most married now but they still obviously have trauma and issues due to their fathers abuse and many seeing their mother take the abuse learned they should do the same and therefore won't go to therapy or aknlowedge there's even anything wrong with their father.

The mother left when the youngest was a teen and she is the only one who is in touch with her mother and brings her into in her life.

I know you don't want judgment. But you need to know the possible ramifications of your actions.

I just had to respond to this even though my response has nothing to do with op.

My parent "says" literally the exact same story but the truth is that the parent is a real narcissistic abuser and therefore my siblings have nothing with that parent in order to protect ourselves. And that's just the story the abusive parent says.

Even if you hear a story first hand from the "victim" parent. We should know it may be actually that this person is severely abusive behind closed door and appears harmless and kind to everyone else.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:00 am
The best thing my mother modeled to me is "you're worth more than being abused" because she left my father. We were young and it certainly wasn't easy. But my siblings and I all have amazing SB with our spouses and we are all very self confident adults.
We are all very close with our mother. She's the strongest woman I know.

Think about the legacy you want to leave for your children.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:03 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
I just had to respond to this even though my response has nothing to do with op.

My parent "says" literally the exact same story but the truth is that the parent is a real narcissistic abuser and therefore my siblings have nothing with that parent in order to protect ourselves. And that's just the story the abusive parent says.

Even if you hear a story first hand from the "victim" parent. We should know it may be actually that this person is severely abusive behind closed door and appears harmless and kind to everyone else.

Of course we don't know everything about everyone, I'm not going into further details here but it's very clear here who is the abuser and who isn't. If I said more details it would compromise the privacy of this family.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:16 am
Being that OP is venting here, we assume that she's innocent and her Husband/kids are totally at fault.

Usually such behavior comes as a result of something negative that happened in the past.

It's 'possible' that her DH is hurt by things she said that caused him to ignore her, or the way she treats him in occasion.
We don't know as OP is refusing to share details.
Hurt people, hurt people.

Regarding the kids, it's possible that they feel the tense atmosphere in the parents SB and reciprocate their actions towards their mother. It's possible that she screams alot at them, causing them to ignore her.
Only OP knows the real truth.
See if you speak with more respect to your DH, and to the kids, maybe things can turn around for the better.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:22 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Being that OP is venting here, we assume that she's innocent and her Husband/kids are totally at fault.

Usually such behavior comes as a result of something negative that happened in the past.

It's 'possible' that her DH is hurt by things she said that caused him to ignore her, or the way she treats him in occasion.
We don't know as OP is refusing to share details.
Hurt people, hurt people.

Regarding the kids, it's possible that they feel the tense atmosphere in the parents SB and reciprocate their actions towards their mother. It's possible that she screams alot at them, causing them to ignore her.
Only OP knows the real truth.
See if you speak with more respect to your DH, and to the kids, maybe things can turn around for the better.

Dh is very passive and avoidant. If I ask him any question, he can't handle it, so he ignores me. He will accuse me of being abusive or screaming or blaming, or really anything he can think of, so as not to have to deal with any situations at all. When in reality what I'm asking is something simple like "did you pick up _____" or "what time is ____" or "can you please help with bedtime." According to him, I'm abusive for expecting any level of help or responsibility.

None of his toxic attitude would be different if we were divorced, and at least this way there is some bit of teamwork, and he can't trash talk me to the kids all the time because most of the time I'm around.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:24 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
The best thing my mother modeled to me is "you're worth more than being abused" because she left my father. We were young and it certainly wasn't easy. But my siblings and I all have amazing SB with our spouses and we are all very self confident adults.
We are all very close with our mother. She's the strongest woman I know.

Think about the legacy you want to leave for your children.

Yes this
Many kids blame the mother for putting up with it and not protecting them or herself R”L

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:26 am
Op, kids will copy what they see the parents do. This is with all middos bad ones and good ones. Maybe there's a way of pointing out while it is happening that daddy's ignoring is not right. I think that's the only way to make them possibly not repeat it. Also, I think young children of this age could be disciplined as with anything they would have misbehaved with. The real challenge is if they will not do this in adulthood with their spouse since they grew up living every day like that.

justforfun87

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:55 am
Ehhh my kids ignore me a lot and my husband usually listens.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:58 am
You can’t compare kids being kids and not listening to kids purposely disregarding their mother because that’s how their father treats her.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Dh is very passive and avoidant. If I ask him any question, he can't handle it, so he ignores me. He will accuse me of being abusive or screaming or blaming, or really anything he can think of, so as not to have to deal with any situations at all. When in reality what I'm asking is something simple like "did you pick up _____" or "what time is ____" or "can you please help with bedtime." According to him, I'm abusive for expecting any level of help or responsibility.

None of his toxic attitude would be different if we were divorced, and at least this way there is some bit of teamwork, and he can't trash talk me to the kids all the time because most of the time I'm around.

I mean one day that could change, he might feel more powerful and not care and trash talk you in front of you and put you down.

I hear what you are saying but I think it's also good to know where you and your kids red lines are and when it makes sense to stay or leave.

imasinger

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 11:42 am
My advice is to focus less on the criticism ("we have to listen to a mommy"), although it's good as a reminder.

Make sure your main focus, though, is on correcting the behavior. Maybe consider a small reward, and definitely enthusiastic praise, for any and every time you see them responding right away. You can also offer a slightly larger reward for responding appropriately 3 times in a row, and gradually expand it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 11:46 am
imasinger wrote:
My advice is to focus less on the criticism ("we have to listen to a mommy"), although it's good as a reminder.

Make sure your main focus, though, is on correcting the behavior. Maybe consider a small reward, and definitely enthusiastic praise, for any and every time you see them responding right away. You can also offer a slightly larger reward for responding appropriately 3 times in a row, and gradually expand it.

Thank you, that's good advice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics