Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Have teachers salaries really gone up?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 5:39 pm
what can I expect to be paid as a first year LK teacher in brooklyn 5th grade (following a year of being an assistant and tutor)?

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:36 pm
For part time, probably 25k-30k

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:42 pm
To answer your title question: Yes, I got paid double this year from last year for the same amount of work. Admittedly, I had been severely underpaid.

I don't know the answer to the question in your OP.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:50 pm
Teachers in my girls school get paid 40K for around 18 hours a week. It's on the higher end. They're very selective when it comes to hiring teachers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 7:57 pm
so a first year teachers salary is up to 25-30? thats definately up from what my sister was paid 5 years ago! and after I gain experience? what is the cap, so to speak

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:33 pm
For a typical classroom teacher (elementary) I believe the pay is now between 30-45 for 3/4 hours 5 days a week (experienced)
For high school (more specialized) the pay is much higher like probably 7-15k per period (so if you teach 2 periods a day that's like 14-30k)
Really a huge (range and) increase from what it was Baruch Hashem

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:41 pm
We got a raise of I believe 5%-10%

smss

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:50 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
For a typical classroom teacher (elementary) I believe the pay is now between 30-45 for 3/4 hours 5 days a week (experienced)
For high school (more specialized) the pay is much higher like probably 7-15k per period (so if you teach 2 periods a day that's like 14-30k)

Amazing! Where is this?

My OOT school is still paying new teachers $20k for part time. It goes up with experience, but not a ton...

happy7

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:13 pm
In town Brooklyn schools are paying first year teachers 20 hrs a week (9-1) around $20,000.
That’s what my daughter and her friends are being paid.

yentee

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:05 pm
what abt high school teachers? how much per period for experienced teacher?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:29 pm
What changed? How can schools afford to pay more across the board like this?

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:44 pm
yentee wrote:

Inflation. The realization that if they don't pay they won't have teachers. Appreciation. Finally.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:05 pm
yentee wrote:

In lakewood I get about 38-41 a period. I’m not sure how that other poster is calculating the pay but it sounds like a lot.
Unless I should be asking for a raise??

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:18 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
What changed? How can schools afford to pay more across the board like this?

In the last 2/3 years (since covid), teachers have been leaving in droves. The schools didn’t have a choice but to raise salaries.
As to how they can afford it, in the scheme of things, it’s only a couple hundred thousand in a multimillion dollar budget. Teachers Salaries is not where a majority of your tuition dollars go.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:20 pm
Wow I’m an elementary school teacher in monsey teaching for 15 years and I don’t get anything like those numbers!!
I must be teaching in the wrong school!

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:21 pm
Can someone break it down to an hourly rate? (meaning hours spent in classroom - not time for lesson plans and grading, etc.). I'm less than 1/2 day so hard to compare yearly salaries.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:20 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
In the last 2/3 years (since covid), teachers have been leaving in droves. The schools didn’t have a choice but to raise salaries.
As to how they can afford it, in the scheme of things, it’s only a couple hundred thousand in a multimillion dollar budget. Teachers Salaries is not where a majority of your tuition dollars go.

Actually not true. I do bookkeeping for schools. They are struggling more than in the past. Payroll almost doubled in the last three years and tuition keeps being raised. Parents are unhappy about higher tuitions yet the schools are still not covering their budget. MOST of the income goes to payroll. The other big expenses of a school are insurance, taxes, mortgage/rent and cleaning crew.

I agree teachers deserve bigger salaries and parents deserve a break but the frum school system doesn’t seem to have a solution.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:40 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
Can someone break it down to an hourly rate? (meaning hours spent in classroom - not time for lesson plans and grading, etc.). I'm less than 1/2 day so hard to compare yearly salaries.

Bump

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:39 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:

I teach ten periods a week. Should I be making $70-150K?? If so, I am severely underpaid!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:30 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
I teach ten periods a week. Should I be making $70-150K?? If so, I am severely underpaid!!

I think she means:
10 periods a week=2 periods a day

Based on that, you should be making $14-30,000
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics