Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School on Sunday
1  2  Next

Did you go to school on Sunday?
I went to school on Sunday in elementary school.  
 18%  [ 10 ]
I went to school on Sunday in high school.  
 22%  [ 12 ]
I never had school on Sunday, lucky me!  
 58%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 53

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 4:31 pm
I had half a day of school on Sunday in elementary school and we had secular studies (as opposed to Friday when we had half a day and had limudei kodesh). I had no school on Sunday in high school.

I once heard Rabbi Avigdor Miller z'l say that the fact that in America, Sunday is not treated the same as other days of the week, is a tinge of avoda zara. Sounds right to me! In Israel, of course, Sunday is no different than Monday.

Somebody said, well, the fact that there's no school bus service on Sunday makes it extremely difficult to have elementary school on Sunday. But some elem. schools have school anyway!

And what about high school where the girls are not bussed - what justification is there not to have a regular full day of school?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 4:34 pm
I enjoyed the day off. period. Smile

1stimer

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 5:24 pm
Well in schools where they have non-jewish teachers for secular studies, how would that situation work (sunday - secular). They would have to pay the teachers overtime... School on sunday would cost a fortune...

Yes in Israel sunday is a regular working day but Friday is not. If you work on Friday, you get paid overtime.

chen

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 6:59 pm
our schools have only limudei kodesh on national holidays and sundays b/c the chol tchrs would mutiny if you tried to bring them in! (many of them teach in public school in the a.m. and it would not be k'dai for them to travel in to yeshiva just for a couple of classes.)

I always had school on dec. 25 to make a point, but it was a real hardship for us kids. the transit ppl didn't want to accept our bus passes b/c they would not believe we had school, plus the streets were so deserted our footsteps echoed! it was scary.

my dtrs school is off national hols b/c the transportation company will not provide busses on those days. I am very happy with this arrangement: I'd be most uneasy if she had to take public transport on a day when no one is around. give the kids credit for a little sechel: they know we're not celebrating the non jewish holiday.

personally I wish the boys were off a few more sundays. when am I supposed to go shopping with them for shabbos and yomtov clothes when they are in school till late every evening and most of the day sunday? by the time they get home and eat lunch, it's too late to set out to head for the frum neighborhoods (all of which are 1 to 1-1/2 hours away) and expect to get any shopping done. being off bein hazmanim doesn't help much since they need new clothes before yomtov!

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 8:01 pm
we had limudei chol only on friday and limudei kodesh only on sundays (half days) in high school.
in sem aleph we had sunday like a regular day, and in sem bais sundays were free except night classes.

sarahd

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 4:59 am
I never had school on Sunday - not elementary school, not high school and not seminary. I taught for a few months in a school that had Sunday classes and found it very difficult.

My uncle a"h called Sunday, "Shabbos sheini shel goluyos".

willow

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 6:04 am
I never had sunday school and liked it like that just fine Very Happy But I do hear the whole, it's sort of non jewish not to have school on sunday. When we moved to Israel it was really hard for me to have to get used to not having a sunday. Here sunday is just like every other day. But it is beautiful that a lot of ppl are off on fridays. In the streets everyone is getting ready for shabbos

Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 7:48 am
Quote:
1stimer wrote:
Yes in Israel sunday is a regular working day but Friday is not. If you work on Friday, you get paid overtime.

that very much depends on place of work! it's not a rule or law, but for the lucky ones!

Tovah

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 8:52 am
on sun we had half day but it was usually a time we do art pesach scrapbook etc..

imanut

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 9:36 am
in elementary school I had a full day b/c there were no secular studies. in high school I had half a day (limudai kodesh).
I think this is b/c most secular studies teachers don't want to work on sunday.

hardwrknmom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 10:11 am
How about the option of sunday school in Elementary & High School.

shoy18

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 12:11 pm
in elementary school I always had school on sun. always only hebrew bec the english teachers wouldnt teach on sundays. We used to miss it alot because sundays we always used to go to visit my grandparents it was the only day we could go.

hadasa

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 12:45 pm
In elementary and high school I had two hours of LK on Sundays. For various reasons, all my kids have off. I enjoy the break, without the frantic morning rush, after Motzoei Shabbos's (usually) late night. I've spent time in Israel with my family and found it very hard to get everyone up on Sunday mornings.

avigayil

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 12:58 pm
In Lakewood, there was discussion of school on Sundays for girls. It was voted down though because, as a rebbetzin brought up, many of the mothers work during the day.
Sunday is a day that can be for the mothers and the daughters to be together, and this is very important.
I think this is very good thing too for families where the mothers are working full or part-time during the week.

timeout

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 1:59 pm
I always had school on Sunday (Beis Rivkah CH) it wasn't so bad 1/2 day and it got the day started early Very Happy

cindy324

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 2:44 pm
Yep, I had school on Sundays , too, always hated it. My kids B'H don't have school on Sundays, and I'm glad ,too . I would hate to have to run out of the house at 8:00 am just to take them to school, then run back again at 12:30.

jewgal84

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 3:34 pm
We never had school Sunday, elemantry or high school- I sure don't regret it. School had optional classes to take (in my days) there were yiddish, sewing and dance classes. I don't the students took it seriosuly bc it has stopped since.

Sunday was definately great to have off: Bonding time with family, shopping with mommy, library hour, it was great- no bad feelings whatsoever!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 4:39 pm
in HS I had limudei chol on friday and limudei kodesh on sunday (1/2 day each). the HS that I went to just stopped that practice this year. now, there's no school on sunday and they alternate fridays between limudei kodesh and chol.

lucky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 12:46 am
We have no school on Friday from 7th grade and up. Buu twe have Sunday 1/2 day, and it upsets me because I never have when to shop with my daughters.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 9:22 am
sarahd wrote:
My uncle a"h called Sunday, "Shabbos sheini shel goluyos".

great line Thumbs Up

Quote:
In Lakewood, there was discussion of school on Sundays for girls. It was voted down though because, as a rebbetzin brought up, many of the mothers work during the day.

do you mean to say they work "during the (rest of the) week">

isn't it peculiar to have only limudei chol, whether on alternate Fridays or on Sundays? no Torah study? Confused What message does that convey to the girls?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics