Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
4 year old healthy eating habits

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:54 am
I recently went from eating Mac n cheese and pizza for every meal every day to a way cleaner lifestyle.
My 4 year old still eats the mac n cheese and pizza and is also a super picky eater who won't try new things or come within 5 feet of a vegetable.
It pains me a little to know that she eats these foods all day-especially because I know they sometimes bother her stomach, but I don't know how I am supposed to raise her with healthy food habits without telling her that pizza and Mac n cheese and chips are unhealthy.

I had a major emotional eating disorder because I was brought up that candy is a "treat" and pizza is "junk", and I don't want her to follow in those footsteps.

To show her candy is not special, I already say "we don't have treats in our house" and offer candy as an option when she wants a snack (no she does not always pick it, she sometimes prefers the Bamba or tea biscuits to the fruit roll up) but I was hoping there was a course or a book I can read on this topic.
Also the treats thing doesn't really work because in school, and other ppl's houses they get treats and then she just comes home asking for treats.

I'm not saying my child can't eat pizza. Im just trying to raise my child right so she doesn't go through what I did. This has nothing to do with being slim, it's about being healthy.

I really want to raise a child with healthy emotional eating habits.

Any advice?

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 10:00 am
Ellyn Satter division of responsibility. Google it.

Lots of good social media accounts - ig or fb - to follow
Kids.eat.in.color is very good

Keep offering and modeling healthy food without pressure or coercion

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 10:03 am
They’re not unhealthy. It’s just about moderation. Pizza on Sundays is ok. Pizza daily is not. Ice cream on shabbos afternoon is ok. Ice cream every day is not

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 10:16 am
While I understand your premise, tbh I think you’re going to the opposite extreme. You can show your child how some foods are unhealthy without causing to have an eating disorder. It’s a balance, and you may be nervous about it, but I don’t think offering your child candy every day is healthier either.
As another poster said, communicate the value of moderation.
“Sweetie, your tummy loves pizza, right?! Sometimes your tummy wants other types of foods though. Can we go to the store and buy some colorful yummy things?”
If this is all your child is used to offering plain vegetables isn’t the way to introduce it. Start hiding it in other areas, even carrot muffins which are sweet, and start talking about it more. “You like these cupcakes? They have carrots, your tummy loves carrots!” As time goes on it won’t be such a foreign concept

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 10:27 am
I like DOR and Ellyn Satter's model but it doesn't always work, especially for kids that tend to neurologically restrict to highly palatable foods.

I like to use the terms "sometimes foods" and "anytime foods". We also talk about foods that keep us full and make our tummies and brains happy vs foods that leave us hungry all day, give us tummy aches, or make us feel sad or angry.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 11:19 am
I think to do that you make food a non issue and a non focus. Just prepare a big variety and have all sorts of things around.

rowena

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 11:23 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Ellyn Satter division of responsibility. Google it.

Lots of good social media accounts - ig or fb - to follow
Kids.eat.in.color is very good

Keep offering and modeling healthy food without pressure or coercion

@kids.eat.in.color has great posts about how to talk to kids about different kinds of food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics