Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Moldy shredded cheese

Beauty123

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:06 pm
Why does shredded cheese mold long before the expiration date?
The package has no warning to use within x amount of days after opening.

mig100

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:07 pm
Yes I was surprised by that also

Java

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:08 pm
Keep it in the freezer

lora

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 2:10 pm
Yes, all the time. I even sometimes see mold straight after purchasing the cheese, like that day. I tried switching brands but happened to a few different brands. The only thing that worked, as long as there wasnt already mold, is keeping cheese in the freezer instead of the fridge. Especially if your using the whole pack for one use, because the first use after opening the frozen package, the cheese strings are not really clumped together and easy to use. however if I put in back in the freezer after using a bit, I find its more likely to freeze in clumps, which is still fine it just needs a few minutes to defrost before using.

octopus

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:18 pm
I bring it back to store. They refund and store gets refund from supplier. Obviously if it's new and hasn't been sitting open in my fridge.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:19 pm
Different brands last longer

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:20 pm
I stopped buying shredded cheese years ago for this reason. I buy a big brick of muenster cheese, I cut it into slabs, and freeze in ziplock bags. I keep one in the fridge, and shred as needed using a cheese grater. So much fresher and more delicious, my family won't eat pre-shredded anymore.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:20 pm
octopus wrote:
I bring it back to store. They refund and store gets refund from supplier. Obviously if it's new and hasn't been sitting open in my fridge.

THIS

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:46 pm
As every science major knows, it's all about increasing the surface. More surface area, more places for mold spores to land and take hold. Put your shredded cheese in the freezer as soon as you buy it and keep it there till you use it.
It's the same reason chop meat spoils faster than a roast or steak.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:21 pm
I had this from a new bag yesterday! We're probably talking about the same brand.
It was one piece that I noticed a drop green. But the rest seemed fine and it's that expensive that I just threw that tiny piece away and used the rest. I didn't have time to go back to the store to get a new one. And who's to say a new pack wouldnt be the same. I'm not sure what I'll do from now on. Maybe a block and grate it myself, but I've really not got time or patience for that.

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:56 pm
As others have said it needs to be kept in the freezer. I put my cheese straight in the freezer after buying and it defrosts in minutes when I need it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics