Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School uniform-skirt length issue
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:04 pm
My dd is entering high school this year. She's going to a chassidishe school and we are a chassidishe family. The school has no rules on the length of the skirt. Her classmates are all buying midi skirt but in my family we don't wear midis. My DD is totally OK with regular length skirts (she told me she has no problem wearing regular length skirts) and I'm with her. But I'm having this horrible feelings.. On one hand it's the mesorah of my family and why should she see the tzinus codes can change just because classmates all bought midis and then on the other hand I don't want her to be considered the neb in the class. I'm so torn apart!!

bsy

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:18 pm
Asking honestly. What is wrong with midi? Do you only wear styles that were worn 200 years ago? Styles change and midi poses no tzniyus issues so what is the issue?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:21 pm
If her skirt is pressed and neat, she will look amazing. If she decides she has to have a different legth mid-year, you can reconsider the pros and cons.

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:21 pm
Yeah I’m not sure I understand. Midi length came before regular length so shouldn’t midi if anything be following minhag better ?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:24 pm
What's regular length?

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:25 pm
What is “regular length” and how does it differ from “midi”? I would’ve thought these terms were synonymous meaning “calf length”.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:25 pm
What on earth is regular length?
There are three lengths. Too short too shlumpy and just right aim for the third

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:34 pm
What mesorah is that? Anyway what’s the issue if your daughter doesn’t have an issue?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:37 pm
I am also confused... what is regular length?
typical by me (yeshivish) is midi -- which isn't that in middle, between knee and ankle??
the girls high schools in brooklyn often wear very long skirt.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:39 pm
Mesorah?
My very chassidish mom hardly covered her knees in the photos I see of 50+ years ago. Now we do at least 4”. I doubt skirt length goes with mesorah.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:40 pm
Can you buy her some other clothing or accessory item to make her feel cooler? Coat, shoes, jewelry, hair accessory?

Edit: Never mind, I just realized your DD is fine with it. Just do regular length then.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
My dd is entering high school this year. She's going to a chassidishe school and we are a chassidishe family. The school has no rules on the length of the skirt. Her classmates are all buying midi skirt but in my family we don't wear midis. My DD is totally OK with regular length skirts (she told me she has no problem wearing regular length skirts) and I'm with her. But I'm having this horrible feelings.. On one hand it's the mesorah of my family and why should she see the tzinus codes can change just because classmates all bought midis and then on the other hand I don't want her to be considered the neb in the class. I'm so torn apart!!

Asking seriously - how is the mesorah? The 50-60 generations wore knee length skirts. The 80-90s wore midi, calf length. Early 2000s back to knee length. 2022 back to midi. What do you mean by mesorah? If this is something recently undertaken, then it's not mesorah. If it's mesorah, what are you alluding to?

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:41 pm
There's no mesorah on skirt length.
My very chassidish nieces wear midi skirts.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:42 pm
Regular length I mean 6-7 inches below the knee vs 9-10 inches.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Mesorah?
My very chassidish mom hardly covered her knees in the photos I see of 50+ years ago. Now we do at least 4”. I doubt skirt length goes with mesorah.

My super sheltered very farfrumt and chassidish mother wore just touching the knee skirts as a teenager and newlywed. She'd never be caught dead wearing that length today.
So if it's Mesorah you're looking at maybe we should go back to knee length skirts...

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

So you mean ankle -length?

IMHO, ankle length is nicer than midi, and if she's going into high school, then she doesn't even need to worry about it getting in the way of play. You'll have to work hard to keep the pleats neat, but that's the only drawback I see.

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

Strict skirt measurements are also not mesorah. That's a 21st century invention. Measurements make no sense, because people are not the same height. What is mesorah for the chassidishe people is that the skirt should be past the knee - that's it. As long as the knee is covered (both sitting and standing), it makes no difference if the skirt is 6 inches past the knee or 9 inches past the knee.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

So maybe you mean everyone else will be wearing more Maxi length? Midi is what you refer to as regular.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:49 pm
6-7 inches is regular?
It sounds long.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:58 pm
How tall are they/how long are their legs if 9/10” is midi?
6-7” is midi on me and I’m 5’7”!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics