Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to break the sugar and junk food habit

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:59 pm
I need help. I have horrible eating habits. When I'm at work it's easier because I can only eat what I bring and I try to bring healthier stuff but it's all snack foods like hummus and carrots, blueberries, mixed nuts and sometimes carbs like crackers or wheat chips.

At home it's a different story. When I get home I just go straight for the junk food. And dinners are complicated. We don't eat meat during the week which leaves something that is simpler to fix like pasta. Kids don't like fish and we end up throwing away a lot of salads because it just doesn't get eaten.

But I need to really buckle down with the sugar situation.

Healthy things are time consuming to make. And I am literally that lazy that it's a big factor in why I don't eat healthier.

Please make helpful suggestions.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:01 pm
If you stop buying all that junk food, it won't be in the house to tempt you.

For dinners: Plan out a weekly menu and stick by it. Delegate some of the prep to other family members.

If nobody eats your salads, substitute a cooked vegetable instead. Or even serve fresh fruit.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:37 pm
I listen to the "Dishing Up Nutrition" podcast. They are super nice and have amazing ideas for cutting down on sugar. Game changer. Good luck!

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:40 pm
Meal prep and snack prep. Work in advance so you can be lazy later and always have a real food snack on hand.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:44 pm
Don't buy any junk food. If it's not in the house, you won't eat it.
Have lots of fruits and vegetables available. The summer fruit and super sweet and you can nosh on them. My kids prefer sliced vegetables to salad so we just cut up some peppers and put them out for everyone to snack on. If you are short on time, some easy alternatives are frozen fruits (mango, grapes, etc) - no washing or cutting are requires, or baby carrots, mini cukes.
Nuts ate also a good option, if you like them.

Suppers I would tackle separately - you should make a list of suppers you are willing to prepare that are reasonably healthy.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:45 pm
Following

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:51 pm
2 ways to limit the sugar and cravings is by making sure you're adequately hydrated (at least half your body weight in ounces of water) and eating protein at every meal. Try that out for a week or two and see if you notice any changes. This is more of a "what can I add each day to my meals" than restricting which can sometimes be harder to sustain.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:14 pm
Intuitive Eating. Total gamechanger.
But it's not a quick solution.
Takes time to learn and actually implement.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 11:06 pm
Oh wow. I honestly could have written every word of your post. I love anything with sugar, chocolate, or fried. I’m also frustrated because one of my teens only eats carbs all day long. I have to work so hard to get food on the table for us. It’s such a chore for me. I’m so lazy about meals too, except for Shabbos. It’s been a struggle for years. Plus, having picky kids didn’t help. Saying all that, if you cut out sugar, and carbs, you won’t have as much of an appetite for garbage. Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise